Author Topic: I love him but he is SUCH a whiner  (Read 1541 times)

Aggghgmom

I love him but he is SUCH a whiner
« on: October 31, 2005, 02:12:48 am »
 ???

Hi hopefully someone has a suggestion of what to do for poor Harley;
He cries/whines all the time; if I am in a room he can't go to he sits there and drools and cries; If I go take a shower he whines; or if he wants something he whines just like a little kid; but my kids understand that if you whine you DON'T get what you want and he doesn't understand he just stares at me and cries; obviously he has been fed, let out, has water and all the basics but if he wants a treat for example he just whines and whines and I can't get it for him because that rewards the bad behavior ???.

He is driving my husband crazy!!!  Also if we are eating at the dining room table (where he can't go) he whines and drools so we have to step over the pile of drool.  (by the way he isn't normally a big drooler he is a flat coated retriever).

Thank you for any advise you can give me - I love him dearly but he is driving me C R A Z Y !!!!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: I love him but he is SUCH a whiner
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 12:38:29 pm »
How long has he done this?  Has he always whined, or is this a new behavior?

I'm guessing he's whining just to get your attention, and it probably works, even if it's just you looking at him or telling him no or quiet.

I would start completely ignoring him when he whines.  No talking to him (you should only have to tell him "no" or "quiet" once), no looking at him, no nothing.  If you have to, put him in time out, in a room away from you until he is quiet, which may take awhile.  Let him back out when he stops whining.  Since it sounds like he may have been doing this awhile, it may take awhile to get him to stop doing it.

He may also have a bit of separation anxiety in there too, but since he is also whining when your'e there, other factors apply as well.

I hope others have some suggestions for you as well.  Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

lins_saving_grace

Re: I love him but he is SUCH a whiner
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 11:55:45 pm »
Grace is a whiner too!  Only for getting up in the morning and crying cuz Lady took her toy.  I hope she'll grow out of it one day though.  I'm not sure there is a good remedy for this.  Did you talk to your vet?  Mine knows a lot about training too so she's given me some good advice.