Author Topic: Where were the kids?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Where were the kids?
« on: October 31, 2005, 12:18:50 pm »
Halloween was a Bummer!
Bought 4 Lbs. of Candy for the little Ba@^a&ds, and they didn't show up!
So now I've got all this candy that I can't eat, can't give to my dog, called my friend and she said there was a Dentist who was taking the unused treats and giving it to the Poor!
What's up with that?
I think I'll throw the candy away and send him some Costco toothbrushes!
Save me some money in the long run.
I might just knock on doors and hand out Toothbrushes tomorrow night.
J
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Where were the kids?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 10:14:35 pm »
My MIL didn't have alot of kids either, and has a ton of candy left over. She tried to send it home with us. We didn't take it.

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 10:20:10 pm »
We were low on kids this year too, but the weather contributed, I'm sure. It varied from drizzle to downpour all evening. I went out with my kids, but I can see not wanting to take younger kids out to get soaked. (sigh) Hopefully it will be better next year.
Stella

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 10:22:38 pm »
I know a lot of towns in the areas up here held Halloween on different days(Fri or Sat) since it was on Monday this year.  Weird, I've never heard of that before.  I probably could've dressed Tenchi and the kids up all weekend, but one day is plenty of candy from them.  LOL  Any other towns do this?  I thought it was strange???
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 10:33:06 pm »
I didn't have as many kids as I thought either.  They ropped off our private road so all the city kids whose parents drive them around town couldn't come through our subdivision.  But the kids we did get were so cute.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 11:01:46 pm »
We got no kids either, but our car got some visitors of the egg sort. LOL ahh kids

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 11:08:18 pm »
Dear John,

All the kids from your neighborhood and others came here to South Texas. We have not had this many children since we lived three doors down from Steven King in Bangor, ME (four years ago).

We went through over seven pounds of candy and other things in less than two hours. And I was not happy about it.>:(

We live in a gated subdivision off of a very busy road. Last year, cars would line up on the side of the road to wait for a resident to come in and they would follow them in. There were so many people in our neighborhood last year that it was decided that a security guard would be hired to not let anyone other than friends or family enter the neighborhood. This way, trick-or-treating would be limited to neighbors and their guests. So, our security guard decided to tell everyone to park on the busy road and to walk through the gate.??? My children left at about 6:30 p.m. to go trick-or-treating. Many houses were low or were out of candy. We ran out of everything before 7:30 p.m., and had to turn children away, including neighborhood children.

I called the association president; he called me back and told me that he put a stop to it, telling me that there was a "communication error". His wife was obviously not happy about it and called me back a few minutes later to chew me out for calling them in the first place.??? Well, this is South Texas for you!

Deena

P.S. Let me know how the toothbrush project goes. I would be curious to know if you get any takers. ;)

Anakalia

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 12:05:41 am »
I had a not so good evening either...All the kids go downtown to trick or treat at the stores until 5:30 then they can trick or treat door to door from 5:30 til 7:30.... I spent tons of time making little ghosts with suckers kleenex, yarn and google eyes! lol I was so proud of myself. I made 50 of them and I had 15 kids last night! :o  So lots of time wasted I'm still upset about it... next yr I might just skip the hading out candy part!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 12:10:53 am »
awww they sound soo cute. I would love to see a picture of them.  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Anakalia

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 12:12:34 am »
awww they sound soo cute. I would love to see a picture of them.  ;D

Of my ghosts?  Cause I'm crazy enough to go take pics of my creations! LOL

Andi

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 12:19:49 am »
I'd love to see pictures of the ghost!  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 12:06:28 am »
We expected a ton of kids this year because of the location (this is our first year in this house), but we only got half a dozen groups. I am starting to wonder if trick or treating is dying out because people are afraid to let their kids knock on strangers doors and take candy from them in this day and age...
RIP former BPO

Kiahpyr

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 12:17:51 am »
This is the first year my family handed out candy. We were really excited about it, but the kids didn't come here either. Our neighborhood is full of them. I think that we missed the rush because we took our 2 year old out trick or treating. We were only gone half an hour though. I have tons of candy left. Some will get eaten and the left overs I will be giving to my mom's club has door prizes.

GR8DAME

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 12:22:23 am »
I think it is a loss of the sense of community in nieghborhoods today. I took my kids out last night between 6 pm and 7:30pm. Easily 1/4 of the houses we walked past were dark, and those that did have lights, half of the time no one would answer the door. I didn't feel it was too late to be t'  or t'ing, and really didn't see too many people out because of the horrible weather, I just think those people just couldn't be bothered. I agree that it is everyone's right not to participate, but I am simply saying that more people are doing so than I remember when I was a kid, and when my kids were younger. Fewer people know anyone in their block besides their immiediate nieghbors, and how many people actually know and get along with them.
Sorry, my rant.
Stella