Author Topic: Virgil stinks!!  (Read 7959 times)

Offline shan100

• Gnawer
  • Lucy Lou and Virgil
    • View Profile
Virgil stinks!!
« on: November 02, 2005, 02:25:54 am »
All I can say is gross. When he sleeps he reeks of something foul. What could possibly be causing this awful odor? He eats premium dog food, gets plenty of excercise, and a bath every two weeks. I am thinking of switching to an organic dog food. Any suggestions?
Virgil Frances

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: Virgil stinks!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 03:04:52 am »
wow that is too bad - Willow just smels like hound dog.  I feed raw food so it cuts down on doggie smells

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:56:50 am »
I may be way off here, but once Koby was sleeping and I smelled the worst odor!!  I instantly knew what it was, because I've had LOTS of experience with it.... he emptied his anal glands while sleeping!!!  It's the worst smell ever, like rotten fish x10!  I cleaned him up and the smell went away.  That may be it or it could be something else completely, hopefully you'll find the problem though!  :)

Andi

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 11:28:08 am »
I may be way off here, but once Koby was sleeping and I smelled the worst odor!!  I instantly knew what it was, because I've had LOTS of experience with it.... he emptied his anal glands while sleeping!!!  It's the worst smell ever, like rotten fish x10!  I cleaned him up and the smell went away.  That may be it or it could be something else completely, hopefully you'll find the problem though!  :)

Andi

OMG Andi that is so GROSS!!!  Why oh why do I read these things first thing in the morning?  I should know better by now.  Now my tummy feels icky :(

OH MY!!!  You must have senstive tummy issues today!  Let me make it better for you...... working as a groomer I had to empty at least 4 doggie's anal glands daily!!!  And I'd come home smelling like rotten fishx10!!!  There are you feeling better now? ;D

Andi

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 11:49:15 am »
Oh my GOD. I am SO GLAD that I've never had to deal with this with Cabeza. Why is that? Do some dogs just not have anal gland issues?

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 11:56:39 am »
Oh my GOD. I am SO GLAD that I've never had to deal with this with Cabeza. Why is that? Do some dogs just not have anal gland issues?

Most big dogs can empty their anal glands on their own.  It's the little doggies you have to manually empty them otherwise it causes troubles (even though the dogs are small the smell is just as bad!)  That's why I was thinking that was the problem Shan100's pup was having because sometimes when a big dog is relaxed the anal glands will empty.  I know it's gross, but that could be why there's a  stinky odor only when he's sleeping.

Andi

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 11:58:12 am »
Ah. I see. So, its not abnormal that I've never had to do this?

Blair

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 12:04:21 pm »
Thats what I thought of too when I read this...Anal Glands!!!! That has to be one of the worst smells out there  :-X When I worked at a Dog Groomers, we did 24 dogs a day, so I am very use to it and I could point that smell out a mile away. If you all like I can get really nasty with this, i have a very nasty store that goes with anal glands. MUAHAHAHAHA

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 12:05:46 pm »
Umm....NO!

Offline shan100

• Gnawer
  • Lucy Lou and Virgil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 12:44:06 am »
Thanks so much everybody. I think Anakalia is right. I read about that before, but I guess I never put two and two together. How do you clean it out? Does he have to go to the vet? and how often do I clean it out?
LOL My boyfriend left the room saying that is all you!
Virgil Frances