Author Topic: Samson is my best friend.  (Read 10855 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Samson is my best friend.
« on: June 01, 2005, 09:05:52 pm »
I was feeling a little out of sorts this morning & went for a drive...I ended up at my grandparents grave...My grandpa died 10 years ago & my grandma this past Oct...It is a small cemetary & there was no one around so (after I made sure he had his pee across the road) I took Samson in with me to sit & talk to Grandpa & Grandpa...Sams on lay down right next to me very calmly & listened to me talk & tell Grandpa & Grandma what was going on in my life...I then told him some about my life before him...He really listened to me...He was so content just to lend an ear & be with me...I love him even more today than I did yesterday...& I know tomorrow I will love him more yet...It's no wonder dogs are mans best friend!!!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Re: Samson is my best friend.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 09:55:26 pm »
Thank you for sharing that!  :)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 10:02:21 pm »
That is a great story. Isn't it amazing how they just seem to know when you need them to listen and love you silently?! I'm glad that Samson was able to give you the love you needed today.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 10:25:58 pm »
They DO know how we are feeling and they prove it all the time, but we sometimes have trouble hearing or noticing it.  Leo does not like to see me upset or cry and he gets anxious when I'm hasty with the kids.  He will put himself in front of me like he's trying to get my attention to tell me to chill out!  If he sees me cry he'll bark and then wine at me like a little puppy wanting to play!  I heard once that people with animals live longer and are healthier and I see that Samson proved why today ;)

Nat

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 10:34:22 pm »
There is nothing like the love of a good dog!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 10:42:24 pm »
They DO know how we are feeling and they prove it all the time, but we sometimes have trouble hearing or noticing it.  Leo does not like to see me upset or cry and he gets anxious when I'm hasty with the kids.  He will put himself in front of me like he's trying to get my attention to tell me to chill out!  If he sees me cry he'll bark and then wine at me like a little puppy wanting to play!  I heard once that people with animals live longer and are healthier and I see that Samson proved why today ;)

Nat

I think you are right about people with animals living longer.  I also think that certain pets live longer because of their people.  But, I also believe it is more than that, because I have known people with animals...of course, who do not have a great connection with their animals...do not talk to them and spend a lot of time with them, but they do not get away without a lot of health complications.

My grandparents are an example of the long-living people and I do believe their pets had something to do with it.  My grandfather smoked roll your owns since age twelve.  He had one in his hand all day long.  My grandmother also fluctuated between smoking and drinking alcohol without eating for three days at a stretch.  They lived to be 87 and 81, respectively.  I am kind of mad at them that they didn't take better care of themselves, since they were like parents.  My grandparents always had several dogs and cats that they were very close to.  They slept with them and talked to them, took walks with them and these pets were an intimate part of their lives.  Of course, they also had eachother to gripe at, which, I also think contributed to their long lives.... ;)

It's a hard one to figure out, but fun to ponder.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 11:05:02 pm »
Samson is such a wonderful dog, we are too lucky to have figured out just how good they are for us and to us.

One eve. not long ago, when Malin stayed home alone (she figures it is about time I let her, she is 13 and thinks I treat her like a baby) So I let her, we were only going to be gone for a little while, and both Chris and me had our cell phones with us, so she could get in touch with us whenever she needed. Anyway, I called her from the store and said we are on the way home now, and it will take about 15 min. There was a road block after an accident so it took quite a bit longer than I thought. I would have called her, had it not been no "bars" Chris nextel was dead no battery (real good planning from our side) When we got home Malin was real upset and worried, she thought that something had happened. She had tried to call and not been able to get up with us, she said that Hera must have felt how worried she was, because she started to walk back and forth checking the window and the slider, barked for no reason and then walked over to Malin and jumped up in the couch and stood almost over her, almost like she could sense that Malin got scared, but Hera couldnt figure out what was wrong so when she didnt find anything, she decided to hoover over her so nothing could get to her. Once we were home and they both relaxed, Malin said, I always want Hera with me, she knew I was scared.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 11:08:11 pm »
Samson is such a wonderful dog, we are too lucky to have figured out just how good they are for us and to us.

One eve. not long ago, when Malin stayed home alone (she figures it is about time I let her, she is 13 and thinks I treat her like a baby) So I let her, we were only going to be gone for a little while, and both Chris and me had our cell phones with us, so she could get in touch with us whenever she needed. Anyway, I called her from the store and said we are on the way home now, and it will take about 15 min. There was a road block after an accident so it took quite a bit longer than I thought. I would have called her, had it not been no "bars" Chris nextel was dead no battery (real good planning from our side) When we got home Malin was real upset and worried, she thought that something had happened. She had tried to call and not been able to get up with us, she said that Hera must have felt how worried she was, because she started to walk back and forth checking the window and the slider, barked for no reason and then walked over to Malin and jumped up in the couch and stood almost over her, almost like she could sense that Malin got scared, but Hera couldnt figure out what was wrong so when she didnt find anything, she decided to hoover over her so nothing could get to her. Once we were home and they both relaxed, Malin said, I always want Hera with me, she knew I was scared.

Marit

They are so intuitive.  It is amazing!  They know so much more than what even the so-called "experts" claim.  I think an interesting perspective is that instead of thinking dogs are "dumb" animals who only understand simple commands and/or a couple hundred words, how about the fact that they have adapted to read our body language while most humans don't understand dogs very much at all? 

What do you think, Marit?