Author Topic: Decribe your dogs personalities  (Read 4065 times)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Decribe your dogs personalities
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:26:27 pm »
I'll start

Zero:  was a gentleman and stoic from the day I got him...just a regal mature look to him.  He is a marshmallow to his 'pack' but outsiders wouldnt know...he is aloof to strangers.  He wears his heart on his sleeve and can give the best guilt trips in the world.  He is independent and has selective hearing but overall very obedient.  He would defend me or his pack without hesitation and is very confident and tolerant.  My son can do whatever he wanted to him and Zero is more than patient along with any other of my nieces and nephews

Misha:  Well she is a comedian and always making someone laugh, she is into everything and has no fear, she is a social butterfly but always alert, very outgoing.  She loves to pull dirty laundry out of the hamper and bring it to me along with pulling scrunshies out of my hair.  She wags her tail in such a sweet manner that it make your heart melt.   She is built like a tank and isnt very graceful and acts more like a bulldozer than a ballerina.  Her listening skills are much better and has more of a desire to be with me meaning right at my feet.  She too is great with my son and they have a great bond as well.

I couldnt imangine my life now without either dog they both are sooo special to me in their own ways. 

Neither one of the dogs ever had a destructive phase or tried to eat my house apart...my pup is 22wks and has full run of the house and Zero was the same age with full run of the house

I am curious to hear of the other dogs personalities

Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Nicole

Re: Decribe your dogs personalities
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:35:43 pm »
Fun topic!

Cabeza: We have had Cabeza since he was 1. So, we never had any puppy stuff. Well, I take that back. Cabeza did have a slightly destructive stage, where he absolutely had to eat books. And, he did steal things from the counter for awhile.

Now, he is over that. Cabeza is aloof with other dogs. He has never demonstrated any aggression, but he is absolutely disinterested. We fostered a female Saint once, and he did show genuine affection for her. He also used to play tug-of-war with a female Collie we fostered once. Other than that, he seems to think that he is a human.

He absolutely adores people, and will lean and push your hand up to the top of his head for a pet. He has the most expressive brown eyes in the entire world. When he looks at me, I know exactly what he's thinking. He carries himself very elegantly. He has never jumped on people, and other than the hand push, he is very patient when waiting for your attention. His favorite thing in the world, besides his bones, is quiet cuddling on the couch. He likes to put his head on your lap and will lay there, quite contentedly for hours as you stroke the top of his nose.

He is the most gentle animal in the entire world with children. He tolerates toddlers hugs, grabbing his ears as they fall over, pinches, etc. The only thing I'd change about him is that he will NOT stop straining at the leash. We've worked on it for 6 years, and he is still as pull-y on the leash now as he was when he was a one year old.

He will do anything for an avocado or a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. He hates vegetables of all sorts. He loves to wade in the water, but doesn't like to swim. He loves the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 12:48:04 pm »
Kiah has a very laid back personality. She loves car rides and is a go with the flow kind of gal. She is great with my daughter and other kids. They can do anything to her and she just lays there. She's very gentle with them and our cats. She likes everyone and loves to be petted. She's a social butterfly. Lately I have noticed that she is becoming more leary of strangers. I think her instincts are starting to kick in. She does have selective hearing. It's much better now that we went through training together. She's still very much a puppy that loves to run and play. She has full run of the house. We have to keep the doors to the bedrooms shut or she'll get in them and chew on stuff. She really likes shoes and my daughters toys. I couldn't have asked for a better dog. She fits in with my family very well.

Modified because I forgot to add that Kiah gets along well with other dogs, but prefers to be with humans.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 12:58:20 pm by Tajsa »

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 01:04:36 pm »
Ranger is my crazy boy.  He is the one that will get the zoomies around the living room, and then throw himself belly-up at your feet.  The one that will whip a toy around so wildly that it will fly out of his mouth and hit the TV.  The one that will grunt like a pig and stab you with his nose until you pet him.  The one that jumps from the couch to the floor, OVER the coffee table.  The one that sits upright in a chair, like a person.  The one we constantly have to tell "Don't BITE your sister!" 

He loves to play in the water and has to come into the bathroom every time I take a bath so that he can bite the water from the showerhead.  Out on a walk, he will do something that he knows is good, and then swing around and sit in front of me, expectantly waiting for the treat that he knows will come.  He acts like he wants to play with other dogs and then growls at them.  He knows that when someone comes home, it is time to go to his "petting chair" and wait to be greeted.  He likes to stalk you when he plays.  He is the one that has to sniff every bag that comes into the house and plunge his head deep into my mom's purse every time she comes to visit.  He tries to trade his toys for food.  He (after some work on my part) loves to meet people and will use all his weight to try to drag me over to someone he thinks needs to pet him.  He has to have every toy, and every bit of attention in the whole house.

He is a mama's boy.  He needs to be everywhere that I am.  By his own choice, he gets up with me at 5:00 every day to sleep in the front room while I get dressed.  He will lie beside me on the bed belly-up with his head on the pillow for as long as I am willing to rub his belly and pet his fur-pants.  When I go to bed at night, and Scott shuts him out of the room so that I can fall asleep he sits outside the door and snuffles to me through the crack underneath it.  He likes to have his armpits tickled and his throat scratched.  He hates the flyswatter and flashlights.  He will sometimes push his head as hard and as far as he can underneath my arm and take the longest deep breaths, as if to reassure himself that Mommy smell means he is safe.  He likes to dig all the bedding up into a ball to make the perfect sleeping nest and then jump down and lay on the floor.  He has the sharpest paws and the softest chest fur...

Soon to come - Gwen!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 01:09:38 pm »
Merlin is dignafied,gentle and slow in everything he does. He is cautious by nature and very slow to accept people or other animals, and must thoroughly check out any new circumstance or situation before reacting. He is very good with small children because he is very careful of his wieght and feet, although his tail is still a lethal weapon. He is very protective of any one he considers to be his pack, with the exception of my husband, who I think he believes is able to take care of himself. Not a snuggler by nature, he will occaisionally come and lean into me with the top of his head to be loved for a few moments, then sigh and walk away, long before I am ready to stop. He is truely my gentle giant.

Raven is the smallest and most dominent dog in my pack. Having been abused she is skittish around people and very nervous and frightened of loud noises and sudden movements. She is very clever and very manipulative with the other dogs in getting what she wants, whether it is the prime spot on the couch, or the favorite toy or bone. Once she has it, watch out, she will fight for it tooth and nail. Once you are accepted by her she is absolutely devoted, and relishes attention. We can do anything with her and she will tolerate it, simply avert her head until you are finished, then cavort around you like a puppy. She is my living room velcro-dog, and loves to spend evenings curled up with the human of choice that day. She is not to be trusted with small animals, nor young children due to her abused past and skittihness though.

Strider is my head case. He is full of puppy exhuberance and mischief. Don't ever turn your back because he is in something or annoying someone the moment that you do. For all that he is a joy, flying through life at high speed and loving every moment of it, the class clown on four paws. He is truely my velcro-dog, and can be found in the same room with me, and most happy on my lap, or sitting on my feet. He has recently become more aware and protective of the pack, and wary of strangers. His curiosity knows no bounds, and he happily ricochets from one disaster to another while Raven grumpily snarls and Merlin looks on with benign tolerance. Because of his speed and exhuberance, he bears watching with young children, athough he loves them, he is overwhlming.
That's it, sorry so long.
Stella

Offline Stephanie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 01:21:13 pm »
Savannah: She is a huge baby! I don't think she know what she is doing. She is so hyper and has so much excitement. She's all over the place. And she cannot stand to be alone, even if it's for 5 minutes she freaks out like you left her forever. She loves Neo but is so jealous of him, if you pet him she'll jump all over him. She has a huge jumping problem. She loves people and any attention she can get and she loves to play. She wants to play with the cats so bad and even tries to walk up to them slowly but they don't want anything to do with her so she whines and cries.

Neo: He is just a sweetie. He is so funny! He never has any kind of expression, always just a blank face like, duh. He loves everyone and everthing. He loves to play too and he is so good. He listens so well unless we are outside, then he wants to take off. He is just a big goof! He'll get mad at Savannah cuz she always gets in his way when he trying to get attention. Everyone loves him more than Savannah cuz he is so much bigger. He gets favored a lot so I try to give Savannah a little extra love to make up for it.

Blair

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 02:03:53 pm »
Zeus - He is very loving and loves to meet new people and new dogs. When he meets new things his butt is in full wiggle. He doesnt like things on the other side of the fence, he will bark to let us know something is there. He only cuddles when he wants to, and when he wants to he will nudge your hand so you will keep petting him. At times he acts like an old man but then there are those rare days where all he wants to do is play. But all in all he is a sweety and loves everyong he meets

Grey -  He is a goofy puppy, very clumsy. He will cuddle with you all day long. And if you are laying on the couch he will put his head on you and just whine the whole time. He loves playing or should I say bugging Zeus. He will run around the backyard trying to get Zeus to play with him or teases Zeus with his toys. He loves kids and small dogs [hes been hanging around Diesel too much] He is very skittish of new things and new surroundings. And he gets a little nervous around adults, not mean or anything just nervous. But if you spend a few minutes with him he will be leaning all over you. He is my goofball but is extremly sweet and he gets hurt if no one gives him loving or attention

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 05:46:52 pm »
Nee is the ultimate momma's boy.  Everyone else be damned!  Ever since he was a baby, everything revolves around mommy.  I have to pay attention to him all the time or he fusses.  He loves other dogs, but isn't really all that fond of strangers.  Matt calls him "Old Stupid" because he reminds him of the vulture on Warner Brothers.  "Which way did he go George, which way did he go?"  He isn't really the sharpest tack in the box.  Honestly, he isn't even as sharp as the box that the tacks come in.  He likes to squash things.  He LOVES babies, and puppies and kittens and bunnies.  Wow, that was a REALLY bad segway  :o   He is the dog of my life.  There will never be another one like him. 

Hobo.  Hobo is the quintessential boy's first dog.  He's happy all the time, he just wants to be with people.  He eats all the time.  He's a thief, he eats money, he steals things off the counter (Side Note:  I think it's funny the dog who can rest his chin on the counter doesn't steal things but the dog who barely reaches the counter on his hind legs does), he steals things out of people's pockets.  He's an escape artist, he loves nothing more than to break into the room you're in and cuddle.  Forget if you're already "cuddling" with someone else.  He doesn't mind sharing ;)

Araby is the evil princess harpie whore.  She's Matt's dog.  I got her for him 3 years ago, and he RUINED her!  She's spoiled rotten, everything revlves around her.  If you're doing something she'll get in your face and swear at you.  She'll lay there and growl if any of the dogs invade her "Circle".  Outside she's a wild woman.  She loves to tear around the yard and kill things.  Once they're dead she has no interest in them so Hobo carries them around and acts like he did it.  She's a Daddy's girl, and the sun rises and sets on Matt.  She LOVES people.  I took her to the dog park and all she did was walk around and plop in front of people and glare at them "Pet me NOW!"  She sings when daddy plays guitar, she comes when anyone says the word "Pretty".  That tells you alot about her right there.  Def model or actress material ::)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Blair

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 06:38:47 pm »
Opps I must have forgotten Diesel  :-[
Oh where to start with Diesel??? Well he isnt your typical Chihuahua cause this boy loves everyone, except for little people who chanse him around {Skyla}. He may be an itty bitty dog but he has an attitude bigger then Zeus and Grey together. He is the king of the house [when it comes to dogs], if any of the big boys move Diesel will bark to alert us. When the doorbell rings, who barks?? Not my big boys, oh no thats too much work for them, my itty bitty boy charges full speed barking his head off. When I am late feeding them who lets me know? Nope not the big boys, once again Diesel will bark and bark and bark and bark [well you get the picture] until he is fed. If any of the big boys get anywhere near me, once again Diesel will bark, he even barks if the big boys get near his crate. You get the picture with Diesel, he barks a lot LOL. But other then all the barking he is a great dog. He will only lay on something soft, for he is too good to lay on the hard floor. He was a very unhealthy puppy and wasnt suppose to live to be 1yrs, well he is going on 3 yrs and he is such an active doggie now. You cant tie your shoes in the same room with Diesel cause he will attack you while you are trying LOL He is a great dog and I love all of him. When he plays with the big boys' toys it just cracks me up. He is silly, barks way too much, loving, sweet, goffy, and DIESEL  :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 06:40:27 pm by Blair »

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 07:38:44 pm »
Bear....hmmm.. .lovable, sensitive and goofy describe him best! He is the most lovable dog that I know. His big ol' booty wiggles & waggles so much when he sees me when I enter the room. He loves to give hugs and kisses all of the time. When you are sad his giant head will snuggle beside yours until you smile and when you are cold he will cuddle to keep you warm.
He is sooo sensitive. He loves to please you and he loves praise. When he does something wrong he instantly feels guilty and will hang his head down. His puupy dog eyes are more than I can take and I usually give in quickly.  ;) He also gets super excited when he hears his favorite words like "outside", "car ride", "dog park".
Lastly, he is a goofball. He'll roll on the ground like a puppy when he wants you attention. He'll have a lengthy conversation with you if you are willing to talk balk to him. He prances with his leash into the house when we get near it and he loves to run in circles around his momma which almost gives me a heartattack everytime.  ;D He loves to play chase with his ball and if you are near water or snow look out- Bear is coming full speed ahead!  ;D
Yep he's got a superb personality and I love him to death!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 08:09:00 pm »
Maggie is a big baby, she's always checking to see if mom is watching her and loves to ham it up for anyone that is paying her attention. She can be very reserved and quiet at times and during that many people ask me why my dog is so depressed? She's not! She's just thinking... lol Maggie is definately unique to me, as I have never had nor ever will have a dog like her. She loves to use the famous dober whine of hers and never seems to give enough of it. She absolutely hates being treated like a dog and Gosh forbid we make her sleep on the floor! Just like her mom(me) once you meet her you'll never be the same ;D

Marty, confident, loud, ready for anything. I'm not sure about all hounds but this is how my little guy acts! Marty loves attention and will make sure he does everything to get it. But if a stranger comes into his territory then in comes his big bark and you better watch out for that! Marty makes sure that you know what's his and that what's yours is his and always will be. I love my guy for his It's mine not yours attitude and always will.

Alex, shy, sweet, hyper. Alex came from a puppy mill so sadly I think his personality is affected by that. Alex hates strangers and if one gets to close he'll poop and pee all over himself, a stranger can't get near him! However, if you were to take your time and give him lots of treats, you'll upgrade from evil demon to eh which is a huge improvement!! Alex loves me and mostly me! He makes sure that his lap time is for him and only him. He rarely tolerates other dogs around me when he's getting lovings. He just wants to be in my arms and is basically dead when he is. I know some people are shocked to even know he's real after I put him down and he starts to run around. Alex does love to run and does love balls so maybe I can put him in flyball(well in my backyard) and see if he'd enjoy that!

Roxabella, don't know that much about her as she's only 5 months old. But as far as I know her life motto is "Can I chew it, no... Can I play with it, no... Can I eat it, no... then who cares!? I Don't!!" That's what I love about her, she's a diva and she knows it. Her personality definately fits that of a min pin. Everything she does is the right way so don't tell her it's wrong because if you do then well her way is still right! :P

I really do love my dogs and I'm glad they are unique. I love them all and wouldn't want to change any of them, even though Alex can be a baby, Marty is a little attitudish, and well you get the picture. It keeps me on my toes and I really do need the exercise.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 10:47:47 am »
Sammy is a wise gentle soul who seemed to come to us as an old dog even at 14 weeks...He is regal & proud...He is my soulmate & best friend!...Pippin is aloof but loving & always just amazed at everything that goes on around him...He is my goofy cuddlebutt, my hungy hungry hippo with the wide wonderous puppy eyes!

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 10:58:42 am »
Thanks everyone...it was nice reading about the dogs and how each one behaves...samm y and zero sound similar meaning that he was born an old stoic dogs LOL
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 11:08:33 am »
Thanks everyone...it was nice reading about the dogs and how each one behaves...samm y and zero sound similar meaning that he was born an old stoic dogs LOL
I just love when Sammy suddenly bursts out with some puppy behavior because it isn't his norm...I love it when he "gets young"...lol!

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 11:26:40 am »
>He is a marshmallow to his 'pack' but outsiders wouldnt know...he is aloof to strangers.

Sounds like a shepherd personality... :D

Jasper is first a comedian- he wants to make you laugh! He'll intentionally fumble the ball after he picks it up, bounce it,  bat it with his legs like he can't get a hold of it. Very playful nature.
When he, in fact, has the precision to be deadly to the armadillos who have the misfortune to lumber onto our property. (they insist on digging under my fence!)

He is also a couch potato if that is what we are doing...
he politely lies around napping on his bed and waiting for action. He has full run of house- never has touched my Italian leather couch---even though his Kong gets lost under it.
I do have the Kong Time "daycare in a box" that release 4 kongs during the day that are filled with snacks.
He loves snacking...if the parrot and we are eating celery or carrots, then he enjoys taking a stalk to his bed to munch on too.

Once in his working mode, though, he is a performer.....
"watch this!" as he zooms across the field ---happy to jump on the agility course and run on cue.

At 2 yrs old, he is a little defiant....sti ll...
we have some issues about running out the front gate to sniff the garbage can across the street.
We had him trained to wait while we drove the cars through, but if we walk up to it and open it....he thinks it is time for a walk....

Jasper is pretty friendly to new people who are not men who smell like cigarettes (hmmm- could this have anything to do with the carpenters who worked on the house?)
---if  strangers let him sniff them first and don't grab at him, he is pretty accepting...
he'll sit for them on cue...or shake-- he is gentle with children- but if a male approaches in an abrupt or threatening manner, he is on alert and will announce this intrusion.

He is a big 70 pound cuddler, giving me kisses and letting me hug him all over.
He has GSD personality... which suits me fine. He loves stimulation and the excitement of a job to do, but when the job is done, he is happy to chill and hang with the pack.
It is so important that he gets daily exercise and a job to do....he get bored as he is so smart.
Regards,
Martha in Texas