Author Topic: New to Group - Midland, TX  (Read 2998 times)

Offline setterhome

• Gnawer
  • "Silence is NOT always golden!"
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Setters, Inc.
New to Group - Midland, TX
« on: November 03, 2005, 01:09:05 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm Ann Mussinan and I live in the western part of Texas.  My husband and I are owned by 2 English Setters and 1 ES/Heeler mix, and we have one Senior Irish foster girl. 

I've been involved in setter rescue for the past three years and I am a volunteer with Save Our Setters, located outside of Memphis, TN.  I also work with other organizations needing assistance in my area, with pulling, temp. fostering and transporting.

I'm glad I found this group and would love to hear from other members in rescue.

Ann Mussinan
Save Our Setters - Volunteer
"Foster Homes and Transporters - Always Needed!"

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: New to Group - Midland, TX
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 01:11:01 pm »
Welcome! It's always nice to see more southerners on here! I'm in South Louisiana and heavily involved in rescue, too!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 01:19:05 pm »
Hi Ann,
welcome to bp. I grew up with an Irish Setter and my mom has another one now, so I really love them (or should I say I loved being dragged through the mud growing up everytime she saw a rabbit or squirral ;D0). Setters are such geart dogs. I am also invovled with rescue but right now it is just with cats, I do hope to be getting into dog rescue soon. I am in Virginia and a lab mix (Abbi), saint bernard (Molly) and a beagle (rebel) and of course cats too. You will really enjoy it here.
Jenn

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 03:19:20 pm »
Hello and welcome.

My name is Chris, and I have a husky/shep female Keiko, and a great dane pup Gunther.  We live in CA currently.

I'm not involved in rescue right now, but would like to start once we move.  I love setters.  Our neighbor growing up had an irish, and I love the english, they are so beautiful.  Is their hair hard to care for?

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 03:24:32 pm »
Welcome to BPO.  My name is Lin and I am owned and cared for by Lady and Grace the Rowdy Rottweillers.  :) 

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 03:37:21 pm »
Welcome aboard! I'm April and I have an 8 month old great pyrenees named Kiah, 3 cats and 2 bearded dragons.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 09:41:43 pm »
Hi Ann! Welcome to BPO :)

I'm Heather and I have a lovely 17 month old Saint named Zoey
RIP former BPO

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 10:40:54 am »
Hello Ann,

My name is Ang and my fiance and I have an English Setter (Llewellin) named Araby.  I call her the Harpie, among other things because he spoils her AWFUL (She's a daddy's girl to the nth degree) and these dogs are just too smart for their own good!  We also have Araby's dog, Hobo, a Chinook, and my baby, Sanity, a Great Dane.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline setterhome

• Gnawer
  • "Silence is NOT always golden!"
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Setters, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 12:41:52 pm »
I just wanted to thank everyone for such a warm welcome.  We also lived in Richmond, VA for 22 years and did a lot with the Richmond SPCA there and worked with Persian Cats who needed help.

People don't own setters, setters own their people.  I think it's their eyes and soft personalities that make humans just plain softies.  Miss Elie is a bench setter and came to us at 7 mo's old through Another Chance for English Setters.  She would crawl up onto your lap and want to be held and cradled.  Now, as a three year-old, there is just a little more to hold.  Ash is a seven year-old Llewellin type and came through ACES also and he is my big, bestest boy.  Hannah just turned one and comes from the OklahomaAWA shelter, her name should have been "Bossy."  It must be the heeler in her.  She is smart and very active and gets into a whole lot of trouble.

Until we moved here from NC, I had never seen a Heeler and rarely saw a Great Pyrenees and now they seem to be the dominate dog outside of Labs.  From what I understand the ranchers around here use them for guarding sheep, goats, horses and cattle.  They are smart and very loyal but they can be wanderers if they get outside the fence.  Too many in the lost/found column of the newspaper and in shelters down here.

It's really great to see others from the Central through the lower Southern States.  We have a lot of contacts from LA through VA but with each group I join, I keep meeting new people and I always enjoy that.

Ann Mussinan
Save Our Setters - Volunteer
"Foster Homes and Transporters - Always Needed!"