Author Topic: Potty training with options???  (Read 2154 times)

Offline SanDiegoDog

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Potty training with options???
« on: November 03, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
I have been reading different peoples take on Crate Training.  I am trying to decide if there is a better way given my options.  I have a Great Pry who is 2 years, my original hope was that she would simply have a heart to heart with the new pup explain the ropes and potty training would be done day 1.  Reality: Our Newf  arrives next Thursday.  My kitchen attaches via a doggy door to the back patio to the grass yard.  I am building a gate that spans the gap between the kitchen and the living room and quarantines the pup to the kitchen and back yard,  and also am building a fence around the patio because i don't want a new pup eating every fun thing it can find in the back yard.  So the question is should I make a little compound and hope because the pup will have 24 hr access to the back yard, that this will expedite to training process or go with old reliable crate training.  I was spoiled we rescued at the age of Xena and she came intact with excellent etiquette.  Your help and any advice is greatly appreciated!   

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Potty training with options???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 04:36:32 pm »
I would say stick to the old reliable crate training, you must teach her where you want to go potty or she will never get it and will pee where ever she wants to. It's just like with a child, you can give your child access to the bath but unless you teach them what the potty is for they won't use it. It maybe a bit easier because your 2 year old will be an example but you will be the one to have to teacher her. oh and congratulation s on the puppy. We love to see lots of pictures here. I have a 4 month old Saint Bernard, so I'm going through this right now. I wish my others dogs would just teach her but it doesn't work that way. Sorry, no easy short cuts to this.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 04:37:12 pm »
I would go ahead and do crate training at least at night.  That way you are sure that the pup gets the idea.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 04:49:10 pm »
I agree!  Crate training is a good idea. 

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 10:12:51 pm »
I would stick to crate training. That way, not only do you have potty training and a way to prevent destructrive behaviors, but your pup will be also used to crates so they won't be afraid if they ever need to be boarded.
RIP former BPO