Author Topic: Something isnt right with Zeus  (Read 5373 times)

Blair

Something isnt right with Zeus
« on: November 05, 2005, 12:38:39 am »
Long story short...I took him to the park he snapped at a girl, no contact, and the girl was very nervous and scared of him when she was petting him. Then he attacked Grey, bit him on the neck and drew blood. Then he growled at me when I was walking by him and growled at Grey again when Grey walked by him. This isnt my boy, he has never growled at me EVER. I understood why he snapped at the girl, she was nervous and scared and he sensed it. I understood him attacking Grey, putting Grey in his place. But why did he growl at me  ??? This all happened in one day. Now he is coming to me to be petted, I am just so lost and confused. I was fine till he growled at me for just walking by him  :'(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 12:39:30 am by Blair »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Something isnt right with Zeus
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 12:42:37 am »
Since this came out of nowhere, I would take him to the vet to make sure that there is not a health reason that he would be acting up
RIP former BPO

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 09:59:43 am »
It could be medical or he could be maturing, I am not sure how old he is...

I am not sure if you do this but if either one of my dogs come to me for love, I ask them to sit or down before I pet them.  I pet them when I am ready, not when they want it

You also have two male dogs, which could very well be frustrating to Zeus as Mr. Grey matures he is more of a threat to him...

Make sure you know if Zeus growled at you or not something else...

I thought one day, my CO growled at me but it turned out through observation it was 100% Zero that she growled at...because he got too close to her breakfast...wh ich i took care of that issue fast and they are fine eating next to each other in their crates

If it is not medical related, then it is something that you should spend a lot of time observing and paying attentions to both dogs body language...you may not see it but grey maybe challenging him

Good Luck

remember, dont be nervous because they (dogs) will sense that...calm and confident is how you need to be

Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 10:04:08 am »
I had a rottweiler years ago who started acting that same way very suddenly, but it turned out she was pregnant and those were our first clues. Obviously your male isn't pregnant, but it seems like a physiological change could definitely be behind this behavior change.

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 01:45:55 am »
OH NO!!  I just read this post and I'm so shocked to hear Zeus snapped at someone!  :o  It's gotta be his ear, that's the only thing I can think it would be, he's normally so sweet and calm that the behavior you're describing is just so odd for him!  I hope poor Zeus get's to feeling better soon.  I'll be thinking of ya!

Andi

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 03:06:34 pm »
I bet it's his ear, too. Any news yet??
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Blair

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 03:23:13 pm »
He got ear drops for his ears. He has an infection but the vet says its not that bad. Just have to watch him and see if he still acts differently. Hopefully he will get back to noraml cause its very heart wrenching seeing my baby acting like this.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 03:25:23 pm »
Here's hoping Zeus feels better soon.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 03:25:51 pm »
No kidding.  Glad it's nothing too serious.

Anakalia

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 05:46:11 pm »
Hope he gets better soon!! I know when I have an earache I tend to be growly too! ;D

Andi

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 05:50:14 pm »
Poor Zeus! 

Tell him it's OK, that I bite when I have an ear infection, too.   ;D  It makes my ears hurt just thinking about it! 

Will he let you put a hottish, damp cloth on his sore ear/head?  My mom's always done that to dogs and kids alike, and it helps some.  Katiedog got infections so often that she'd go and get washcloths out of the laundry baskets and bring them to us when her ear hurt. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 05:57:27 pm »
So glad there was an explanation. Give him some extra TLC - and no nervous little girls for a while!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 06:02:54 pm »
I hope he starts feeling better soon.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog