Giant Schnauzers > Giant Schnauzer Discussions

cropped ears

(1/3) > >>

hugo~monster:
melissa, i see in your pawprint dazy's natural ears and in the other pic you have them posted.  how is the taping going?? 

MommyOfSchnauzers:
Well... I don't have them wrapped at the moment, because I noticed a little sore in one of her ears.  So I have been putting a little triple antibiotic cream on the sore, and letting it air out.  I would really love any taping advice I can get. 

tampons completely did not work for us.  I don't know if I was doing something wrong or what, but both times I tried to wrap using tampons as splints.... she had them off within minutes. 

What I did last week (the way they are wrapped in the picture) was took a disposable plastic cup and traced her ears on the outside of it.  I cut the bottom out of the cup, then cut out the shape of her ears.  I put a couple layers of thick medical tape (the waterproof kind) around all of the edges, so there were no sharp places.  Then I taped those forms to the inside of her ears with medical tape to secure.  I then took the gauze that sticks to itself and wrapped the ears, wrapped figure eight on top of the head and around the base of the ears, then under the chin, brought it back up and ended it on top of her head.  That seemed to stay on pretty good, but I am not sure if that is what caused the lil sore that is there now.  The sore isn't where any of the edges were touching. 

Any taping advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!!

hugo~monster:
here are some of hugo's baby pics when i was taping his ears. there are many ways you can go about taping ears.  luckily i never had to to the upside down cup on his head!  his ears were relatively easy to stand.  i did use the tampon method.   as you can see by the pics.  i used the colored stretchy gauze alot.  also sports tape and even postal tape!  once his ears had a pretty good lift to them and were standing for the most part, i would use medical tape and give the ear a gentle pull up and slightly out (just putting a tad of tension on it) then tape around the middle of the ear.  this would keep the ear from wanting to fold over without having alot of junk tape to the head.  be sure to be consistant in taping, especially during teething.  give lots of raw meaty bones to chew on and also vitamin C supplement which is said to help in cartilage healing. 

sometimes the tape will rub a little sore on the ear, especially if the dog fusses with the tape job.  or if it is left on a bit too long.  remember to always fold that little flap of skin in the front of the ear when taping.  you want to fold it back onto the ear to tape not flatten it out.  this will help the ear stand.  you can also use mole skin (found in the foot care section at walmart) or even the gray styrofoam insulation you put around pipes in place of tampons.   i would do hugo's ears a couple days taped then off for a day then tape again at night for a couple days, then off during the day, etc.     

jabear:
Hugo is so dang cute! I just wanna give him a big ol' hug with the tape on his ears.  ;D

hugo~monster:
LOL!!  yes he is a cutie!  sometimes i could just bite his nose off!!!!  he is so cute!  (i am a sucker for big dog noses!!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version