Author Topic: where did you get your mix  (Read 13087 times)

ann

where did you get your mix
« on: May 03, 2005, 06:52:34 pm »

i find stories of how and where people get thier mixes interesting i got mine dakota from a bar i used to work in, he was not in a good situation some people were giving him booze so i took him, and him and i quit drinking together ok i still take a sip now and agian but he stayed sober for nine years now and has been the love of my life.......... ........

ann

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
Re: where did you get your mix
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 07:02:49 pm »
I'm happy to hear your doggie has managed to stay on the wagon! No terribly interesting story here. We wanted a dog, we looked at  shelters all over the state fro months before we saw not one, but 2 pretty girls and fell in love. Sisters found as strays together and we didn't have the heart to take one and leave on there, so we happily took them both. 2 of the most well mannered easy to train dogs I have ever met and super sweet. They even do a couple of tricks (but I must admit they already knew them when we got them)  They are Shelttie mixes, though I don't know what they're mixed with!

Vicki

ann

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 07:39:33 pm »

that is a very sweet story..its crazy how they can steal your hart.......... ....
   ann

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 07:30:10 am »
I found Strider through a great dane group in Texas. I spend alot of time on their website. He was 5 weeks old at a animal control county shelter almost 200 miles away from my house, and on death row. We went and adopted him the day before they were going to put him down because he had been there too long. He's dane/irish wolfhound.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:23:11 pm by GR8DAME »

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 11:17:15 am »
My big boy came from the Raleigh, NC animal shelter. I was volunteering with a dog rescue group there, and one of the volunteers from the shelter contacted us. She said that there was a super-sweet baby in the shelter that had heart worms. She agreed to help pay for the treatment if someone could foster him. I agreed. He was a bit of a chore, and I never intended to keep him. (He was still a pup, and not housebroken! He also chewed up EVERYTHING!) However, the treatment lasted for a month, and in that time, I fell in love. He has all of the typical Newf traits...he's become so wise and noble and totally gentle. He's been with us for 5 years now! He's a Chow/Newf mix...(my Chewfie!) The only Chow trait I've ever seen though is the purple tongue! He's my big, big man and I love him SOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO much!

Offline b_clark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 12:02:45 pm »
I am on mix number 2 at the moment. We have only had him a few months. We adopted him from the Boulder County Humane Society. They knew nothing of his history. He was a transfer from a Humane Society in another state. They guessed he was a stray, about 1.5 years old, and a Great Pyrenees mix. I was not looking to adopt a dog but perhaps foster one and had visited with a handful of dogs over the previous couple of weeks. Then I met Lou, I looked in his eyes, visited with him and was hooked. I made my (soon to be) husband go down with me to meet him and he too fell in love. We brought him home the same day and he has proved to be a great addition to our household. We just love the big goofball!

I had to put my old dog down this past December after having him for 8.5 years and knowing him for 10 (very sad). He was a Newfie/Lab mix and lived to be 13.5 years old. He originally belonged to a friend of mine who had 2 cats, 2 other dogs, 2 hedgehogs and a son. I use to watch the whole crew when she left town. Well Elvis (the Newfie mix) decided he was mine after about a year of this. He started obeying me better than he had ever obeyed her and when her older dog die she asked if I wanted him – since he had all ready chosen me. I am glad he did, he was my loyal companion for a long time and is dearly missed. I have attached his photo and will attach one of my Lou dog (the Pyr mix) when I get one transferred to the computer. I love the gentle giants.

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 09:28:56 pm »
I got Earnest, my Lab/Great Dane mix, from a BYB who had a pair of Labs he intended to breed, but his Dane knew the female was in heat before anyone else.  I'd been looking to adopt an older/adolescent Dane, but I didn't have a fence, and the Dane rescue in my area is really picky, even though I have a lifetime career in the animal field, worked in rescue for some time, and am a former Animal Control officer I didn't fit their criteria for a "good home".  So when I saw the advertisement for these pups I went "just to look".  The man had a really long driveway, with a parking area about halfway to the house. The dogs were in a pen behind the house. I got out of my car and started walking down the driveway when a little blue streak squirted out under the gate and came running. Big ears flapping, little legs churning, just running for alll he was worth.  When he got to me he sat, pretty as you please, with his tail going a mile a minute and said "Hi mom, I knew you'd come and get me soon." That was it, to this day I couldn't tell you what the other pups looked like, except they were black.
Phyfe, our St. Bernard/Mastiff mix, came to us  from freecycle.  my son wanted a dog of his own, so I promised to look. Just before Christmas this year I saw an ad that said "Great Dane Golden Retriever Mix. Be aware that this is a VERY BIG dog. Moving, must be gone by Saturday A.M." This was on Thursday evening.  I contacted his family, and went down in a rainstorm on Friday evening ( he was 2hrs. away). When I got there here was this poor dog, in an almost empty house, so confused as to what happened to the furniture and where his people were all the time. It was immediately obvious he's not Dane/Golden and when I asked, the man said that 6 months before when he got him from the Humane Society they said St. Bernard/Mastiff, but he was afraid to put that in the ad because no one would want him. He was too thin, they'd been feeding him Ol' Roy, and he was dirty from living outside. My son fell in love- and although I didn't get that feeling, my son did, so Phyfe came home with us.  He has turned out to be a wonderful, patient, loving dog.  We're very active with a group of Lab owners, and everytime we go on a dog outing, he runs and plays with the other dogs, and every now and then comes and leans on me and smiles, as if to telll me how much he appreciates his new life.

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 01:15:46 pm »
Awww! Phyfe and Earnest sound like awesome dogs! And what great stories!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 09:38:38 am »
I got Rocco from a small shelter in Northern Ohio.

When I was in my last year of college in 2002, I got the idea in my head that I wanted a Rott.  I searched and searched on Petfinder and couldn't find a dog I wanted.  Then one Saturday my roommate and I were at the Pet store getting food for her yellow lab.  The shelter was out front with a bunch of dogs, none of which were Rott puppies.  Well, one of the volunteers heard us talking and gave the number of a lady that was fostering a litter of 6 week old Rott puppies and was trying to place them since their Mom had heartworm and was currently being treated. 
1 week later I was in the middle of nowhere looking at 4 black fluff balls.  Rocco ran right up to me and being the only male I had to have him.  My roommate and I were already sneaking her one dog in and out of our apartment, the last thing we needed was another.  My Dad had give his ultimatum, that I wasn't to bring a dog home when I graduated.  Well, after a few minutes with Rocco, everyone changed their mind. 

Rocco, is the best bad choice I ever made.  He turned out to be my saving grace.  6 weeks after graduating from college, my Mother died after a 6 year battle with cancer.  I joined the workforce (the real world), and moved out on my own.  My dad remarried 15 months after my mom died.  Rocco was the only reason I didn't go crazy.  He is still my best friend, my protector, my snuggly guy, and the love of my life. 

Aren't mutts the best? ;D
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 05:27:30 pm »
I wish I could say Niki was a rescue, but I can't.  We owned a video store and one of our customers came by with a litter of puppies she was selling for $50 even though they were mixed Rotweiller and Lab.  She owned both the parents, both purebred, but thought they would get better homes with people who put out a little for them.
I offered her $50 in movie rentals for this puppy who ran up to me wagging her tail and licking me profusely.  She wagged her tail like a Rot whose entire rear end shakes.  She came to work with me everyday and started helping customers, returned movies, made change and more.  The rest is history along with her television, news, magazine and other appearances.  She more than made back the $50 movie rentals.  Now she is retired, but looking for part time work.  She is 9 and still loves to work around the house.  Here she is bringing me the sheep's grain. 

Been having trouble posting photos lately, it should come up but takes a little longer than before. 
Peggy

Offline Daffodil

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 08:11:21 am »
My oldest one, I simply wanted a brown dog, so we went to the shelter and found a real sweetie with a cute widows peak marking on her forehead.

The next one was an accident.  While visiting my father about 6 hours away from our home, my husband went the the local humane society shelter with him because my dad wanted to find a small dog.  Well, my husband came back hopping from foot to foot, telling me all about this cute little brown dog that had been there for 6 months, and if I agreed to train it then he would pay for the spay and we could find her a good home.

We did.  With us!

Lastly, my Big Dog (and how I "qualify" to be here!) was a stray running loose, and my husband hit her.  We, of course, took her to our vet and had her treated.  The vet pronounced her a bouvier  :o   We figured, hey, if someone really loved her they would be looking for her, but no one did.  So she's my girl now!!  And the most expensive "free" dog - injured from being hit ($300), wounds from burrs digging into her skin ($125 vet visits and meds), in heat and needing all her vaccines ($250), heartworm positive ($300).    Well worth the money :D

Daffodil

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 05:30:59 pm »
Grizelda is my mix, I think she looks like a Pointer cross. I was working at the animal hospital and one of the other girls working there found Griz on the side of the road in a ditch. She was about 3 months old. A skinny and lice covered little pup. She had a great personality so I brought her home and that was 11 years ago.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 07:04:49 pm by K9ldy00 »
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla