Author Topic: Bubba and his selective hearing.  (Read 4910 times)

Lyn

Bubba and his selective hearing.
« on: November 07, 2005, 05:18:31 pm »
The first 'testing' phase Bubba put me through was well h*ll. LOL I just continued re-inforcing commands and eventually he stopped being so stubborn. WELL.. I though the worst was over. But he's started again even though I've made sure that I didn't slack off and let him ignore commands ect..

This time though he seems even more stubborn. To the point of flat out refusing commands and he stares right as me the entire time.

For example. I'll tell Bubba "down".. He'll stop, stand there and stare at me. As soon as I move towards him, he lays down before I get there. 

Also on leash. I take him out on leash to potty (even though our yard is fenced he likes to eat things if I don't leash him). He knows he is NOT to pull me. But he'll stare right at me then turn and charge in whichever direction. I correct him immediately generally with a leash correction and hollering NO or Knock if off.

If I let him out to potty not on leash he will flat out refuse to come when called and stand there and stare at me. If I go out to get him he starts running around the yard like a lunatic stopping every few seconds to stare some more.

He's even starting to do the stare and charge thing when we are on walks. I'm almost scared to take him anywhere near the road. It takes me one or two steps to regain my footing and stop him. By then we would be in traffic.  :(

I realllllly need some suggestions. I know he's testing my authority.. either that or he enjoys torturing me. :-\ He's never shown any aggression, not even so much as a bark in my direction. I'm not the only one that he does this with though. He's starting to ignore my hubby also.

I feel like I'm correcting him constantly. It's just frustrating.. everything I've taught him he pretty much ignores now. I feel like I've failed.. expecially when I get people telling me that Bubba doesn't look like he has any training at all :'(

Anakalia

Re: Bubba and his selective hearing.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 05:40:19 pm »
OH BOY!!  This sounds familiar!  Koby will do the staredown too.  It really ticks me off.  I've decided the "tough love" works Koby and me.  If he stares me down I get so ticked I stare back.  Probably not the right thing to do but boy, does it tick me off!  If I stare he'll look away then I make him do a Down/Stay.  Lately he's really been getting on my nerves, so demanding for attention.  I've fixed that by ignoring him and only giving him attention when he does something I wanted him to or when I feel like I want to give him attention. 

As for the walks we've never had a big problem with Koby.  We use a pinch collar and it works great for us.  He's super good on a leash!

Hopefully someone who know's what they're talking about will help ya out.  I just wanted to let you know I deal with the staredowns quite a bit too! ;D

Andi

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 05:43:39 pm »
Do you things (make him wait for food, go out the door first, etc) to make sure he knows that you are the alpha dog?
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 08:42:38 pm »
You know I think it's the staredown that's driving me crazy also. It's almost as if to say "PPPFFFTT heck with you" I stare right back at him also. Sometimes he will look away immediately. Other times he get all excited. ??? I don't understand him sometimes.  :(

shangrila, Yup I do make him sit and wait until I give the ok. For meals and coming in and out the door. I also make him sit before he gets any attention. When he ignores commands I enforce them. Like guiding him into a sit, or a down. When he chases the cats and chooses not to listen to "leave it" then he gets a time out alone in my bedroom. Which he doesn't like too much.

He'll ignore my commands but yet he has to follow me everywhere. ??? He is truly puzzling me.

Sometimes I do wonder if he's trying to achieve the alpha position and other times I don't think he is. I don't know.

As for Bubba pulling.. I think I might get a pinch/prong collar. Quite a few people have mentioned that I should get one. It's worth a try.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 01:04:13 am »
Oh boy! I have been there and done that with Bear. I think it is kinda funny though. Not in the sense that he is ignoring me but in the sense that he is playing games with me on such an intellectual level. I swear, Bear has ignored me so many times when he is off leash playing in the park area when I tell him to come. He totally looks at me and says, "Lalalalalalala la....I can't hear you". Luckily though he never takes off or anything.  :) He does love to play the chase game when he is feeling silly. I will walk towards him and he will grab his leash and take off. He'll go in circles around and around me until I chase him and then we play tug-og-war with the leash. It is fun!
As for the walks, I agree with the pinch collar. When I am out with Bear on a long walk I use that so that I can control him better. His size and strength are so much greater than mine that I need help. I don't really have to pull him but he needs the assurance that I can and will use the ful force when I need to. Also, he is loves to smell and ignore me when he is sniffing the ground so sometimes I have to pull hard to get him back on track.If he does pull though then he will usually stop after I tell him to "don't pull".  Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 01:28:57 am by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline tyscrzymom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 01:44:35 am »
Hi There, That was kinda wierd...sure sounded like I wrote that post about my Bubba...lol  Yes he too seems to have forgotten everything ever taught!
OMG and the stare thing...just like ya I didn't do what you wanted now whatcha gonna do????? Oh you're gonna come over here to correct me...you mean chase me all over the yard...and neener neener neener you can't catch me...and I can't!
UGH :(   My Bubba is 7 months and 120 lbs. My husband recently started taking him on a nightly run and so now when ever I try to take him for a walk it's off to the races...I can barely stop him...Sorry I can't help but please if you get it figured let me know.....
Best of luck, Heather

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 12:40:03 pm »
Will do. ;D At least I know I'm not the only one dealing with these issues. Makes me feel better in a way. I guess I just need to be persistant and patient. Take deep breaths and repeat. "I do not want to kill him... this is just a stage.. I can get through it" LMAO

I'm definitely going to get a pinch collar. I know Red recommended I get one before. But they look like a torture tool. LOL

jabear, Bubba plays tug-oh-war with the leash also. If he can't make me let go of the leash by charging then he will grab it and try to pull it out of my hand instead. I've been correcting him for it though since it's not a good thing to do when we walk by the road.  :(

tyscrzymom, I can't catch my Bubba either. LOL I usually have to wait until he zooms by me and grab his collar. But he's getting smart to that. As soon as I move my hand he takes off in another direction.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 12:44:38 pm »
Spotakiss also grabs the leash as we're heading inside and wont let go.I think he thinks its funny.He grabs my clothes and tugs also.He just doesnt listen either.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 02:10:07 pm »
Maybe we all just have dogs that are so spoiled they refuse to listen anymore.  ???
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline yogibear

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 03:42:22 pm »
I say "good boy Bubba" Just keep up the good work and pretty soon you'll get your mommy trained really well , like I did. When I take my mom out for a walk, I grab the leash in my mouth, plant me feet, and say "mommy wait!" Then, when I'm good and ready i say "mommy-ok" Then we go where ever I want to go....it's fun, it just takes alot of work!

Offline stace77

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 08:36:22 pm »
OH MY! Does our Saint visit your house? Is she cheating on me with you? LOL
Our Saint it exactly the same way. We call it the "15 second delay". It started out as the 5 second delay but has progressed. When we give commands, she often ignores us or takes he sweet time in complying. She has the same "yard" ethics as well, eating and digging, throwing it up later and redigging the spots I just refilled LOL!
She gives a whole new meaning to the word Sainthood!  ;D

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 09:53:33 pm »
LOL Stace77. Bubba has always had the 15 second delay. Expecially when told to lay down.

Funny thing is he must know I've been talking about him. Since today he was perfect. He even came when I called him. No selective hearing today. Now tommorrow who knows. See I know there's a good boy in there somewhere. LOL

Jabear.. Hubby and I were just talking today about Bubba being spoiled and maybe that's why he's a hellion. LOL

And yes I agree Bubba has me trained well.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 09:54:49 pm by Lyn »

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 10:05:34 pm »
We say that too...Bear has done a great job with us. He has us right where he wants us and loves every minute of it!
Hugs,
Jaime