Author Topic: Update on Kate  (Read 7006 times)

k2campbell

Update on Kate
« on: November 08, 2005, 02:11:56 pm »
Hello!

Well, our little 'Monkey' sure is growing.  She hit a growth spurt, gained a little over 10 lbs in just under 2 weeks (last month she gained 11 lbs over the month).  I was a little concerned, so called my vet - she said it was fine.  They grow so 'up-and-down' throughout their 1st year, she said not to worry.  She's still slim too - not chubby at all.  I've noticed a bit of 'bulk' gained in her chest, I think that's where she's gaining the most right now.  Kate turned 4 mnths old (from her actual birthdate) yesterday, she weighs just over 44 lbs. 

Does anyone have any recommendation s for types of bones Kate could chew at her age?  We've had her on Nylabones (but) she goes through them so quickly now.  Any suggestions would be great!

Kate has also hit a 'mental' growth, she is really starting to nail-down commands (the 1st time we tell her) and is aiming to please a lot.  She is such a funny girl - I've never had (nor met) a dog that 'talks' as much as she does  :D

Is snoring OK with a puppy?  She doesn't snore all the time, just when she's had a long day with lots of socialization - in puppyschool, plus a visit to the in-laws and playing with their Westie.  I'm sure it's fine - but wanted to get some opinions just the same...

It is snowing here already (but) Kate LOVES IT  ;D

Take care all!

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Kate
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 02:18:45 pm »
.sounds like she is doing well...Snoring is perfectly fine for dogs while sleeping LOL

I feed raw diet so my dogs get all kinds of bones...but i dont think that is what you are looking for

what about a marrowed or a smoked one?
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 02:41:21 pm »
We give our dogs raw marrow bones to chomp on. They LOVE them, and it takes them a long time to finish (when we decide the bone is finished). They are great for their health and a super tasty treat!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

k2campbell

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 01:59:11 pm »
Thanks for your insight guys, we bought Kate a smoked marrow bone last night and did she EVER go to town on it!  She loves it - thanks for the tip!

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 05:39:36 pm »
Apache talks, sometimes too much. Chazzy is the snorer in our house & has snored all her life. I only give raw marrow bones. I'd be careful with that smoked bone, if you see it splintering take it away.
Lucky you snow means NO MUD.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 05:52:16 pm »
i also have a talking, snoring, big chewer!  We give him lots of things to chew on.  There are bones out there for really strong chewers that he is not yet able to destroy.  One is the Galileo by nylabone.  They make a souper sized one that is good (you can find in in the BPO store).  There is another brand that makes the solid indestructable bones too, i found mine at the local pet store. 

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 08:30:33 pm »
Thanks for the info guys, glad to hear there are lots of other snorers' out there lol!  I will watch that the smoked bone doesn't splinter (thanks for the tip).  I've seen those Galileo bones at the local pet store - I will pick one up next time I'm there.

Thanks!

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 05:15:34 pm »
Where do I get raw marrow bones? The butcher?
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 05:33:05 pm »
Where do I get raw marrow bones? The butcher?

Sometimes you can get them in the grocery store too.  Some people use them for making soups.  Just look next to the beef or ask.  Sometimes they have to pull some out of the freezer for me.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 09:58:23 pm »
Will they be o.k. to give to a dog that is not on a raw diet?
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix