Author Topic: Prong/Pinch collars??  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Prong/Pinch collars??
« on: November 09, 2005, 02:22:10 pm »
Hey i need a little advice... fumble is great on walks!  but when he sees other dogs or people, he just sits and waits for them, or when they are in his 5 ft. area he wants to right up next to them.  the problem is that some dogs aren't as friendly and when i'm holding him back he just pants so loud, that i think the collar is straining his neck.  I'm starting to get a little nervous about this, only because he's getting so big so fast.  do you think it's a good idea to maybe get a pinch collar so that he can learn that i'm the leader on the walk, not him??? any suggestions from other newfie owners? i'm going to ask my trainer tonight at puppy kindergarten, but i'm just curious to find out what other newfie owners have done... thanks!  ;D
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Prong/Pinch collars??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 02:39:59 pm »
How great that he sits and waits!
That is the first huge step!
I would build on that and just get him to stay until released.
For the dog's safety, you can use a martingale collar, that if fitted correctly, is nothing more than a flat collar that tightens if he tries to slip out. (It should not be fitted like a choke collar!)
I have trained my dog only using this type of collar. My trainer only uses these type of collars---even with mastifs and all big paws! Once my boy realized he couldn't slip out of it, he became more compliant.
What we have worked on (for a year now) is 'loose leash' control. The collar isn't used for pulling the dog away (this can create dog agression)- but just to be sure he is safe and can't run away.
How we trained a longer stay is to:
In a non-distracting place- put him in a sit and every 5 secs, praise and give him treat for holding it for 1 min or as long as you can the first few times.
Then pat him on his side to 'release' him (I say FREE)...give him a few minutes break and then repeat for 4 times...on 4 consecutive days.
Then you try to get him to sit for 10 sec for 1 min; 4 times, etc. until he sits for 1 min.
Then you do this in more distracting places.
The idea is conditioning.. .repetition--dogs learn in 3-4 times in a row....weird- eh?
Think of training a behavior you *do* want to replace the behavior you don't want.

http://www.sitstay.com/store/equip/collars3.shtml
Regards,
Martha in Texas

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 02:42:39 pm »
When I am going out on a long walk or to the store/restaurant with Bear I always use the pinch on him because it reminds him of who the boss is.  ;) We are in training for our TDI/CGC test and everytime we get near another dog we fail. He just wants to sniff them and doesn't like to heel by me. In my opinion, I don't see anything wrong with the pinch at all. Also, he is an intact male and loves to sniff the ground on walks and occassionally will get stuck in one spot and is really hard to move. With his regular collar I have to pull with all of my strength to get him to move but with the pinch a simple tug will suffice. Good luck!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 03:42:12 pm »
I use pinch collars on both my dogs when I am out...I have never had an issue with them in the least.
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline wiss329

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 04:41:02 pm »
We also try to use a pinch collar whenever we go out with Max.  He just seems to listen better when it's on.  Our dog trainer, who has a newf, also uses a prong collar when she takes her dog out in public.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 04:47:37 pm »
I use the gentle leader only because Rocco is a baby and will yelp if you step on his foot.   Yet, he can run into the deck head on and keep going. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 05:30:52 pm »
Remember if you try a prong, it doesnt mean you have to use it forever. Basically its a tool you can use to get the result you want. I don't even need a choke chain on Apache anymore, he is totally focused on me & normally wont pull. He will also be 3 in December age does matter.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 07:17:55 pm »
I use one on Dozer when we go for walks. It's like power steering. He is a hunting dog and follows his nose. I've tried a regular choke collar and he just chokes himself. When he is on the pinch collar he stops pulling right away.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 07:55:33 pm »
thanks everyone for your responses!  We just got back from puppy kindergarten, and our trainer actually put a prong collar on him before i even said anything!  Fumble was definately a little hesistant and was not happy by any means when we first put it on.  actually, my sister was the one who walked him first, and he cried and cried... i think she was a little traumatizeD! but after walking him a few times, he definately seemed like he was getting the hang of it!  i'm still a little hesistant becuase it seems like it hurts... but i'm starting to realize it doesn't.. hey! anything that will help my big boy not pull me with him!  :)  Thanks again everybody!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!