Author Topic: Was bound to happen, but this is weird...  (Read 3053 times)

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
Was bound to happen, but this is weird...
« on: November 10, 2005, 12:41:38 pm »
My husband took Crede out around 6:30am this morning because he whined and was getting antsy.  He pooped and peed (Crede, not my husband  ;D) and came inside.  It was about a 20 minute walk.  Around 9am this morning, I get an email from my husband saying that Crede just peed in the dining room, was LYING in it and LICKING it up.  GAH!

We of course expected some accidents, but the lying in it and drinking it is a little strange, no?

Any hypotheses on this behaviour?
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Was bound to happen, but this is weird...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 12:48:22 pm »
When Zoey has an accident in the house, she is ashamed and knows that she is going to be in trouble, so she tries to cover it up by eating the evidence. I would hypothesise that crede was trying to do the same thing.
RIP former BPO

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 12:50:20 pm »
But why wouldn't he let us know that he had to go out?  And I think what we really don't get is why he felt he had to go that bad after having been out just 2.5 hours prior....

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 01:03:44 pm »
Possibly he drank a lot of water after his outing and just had to go!  Once in a GREAT while Sasha will lose control if she's been in the house for longer than we anticipated the dogs to be alone (it happens, what can I say), and as soon as we come in the front door, Dar "tattles" on her by running to the pee spot (spot?I should say lake) and back to us, pushing her nose into one of our hands, then back to the spot, and then glares at Sasha! Dar would hold her pee in for a week I believe, before she would go in the house.  She thinks it's disgusting! ;D
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 01:14:13 pm »
I found Farley( 6 months) twice last week drinking his pee from the floor where he had an accident. Maybe he was getting rid of the evidence b/c he knows it is wrong to pee in the house.lol
Some days Farley wants out more than others. Depends on the amount of water they drink that day I guess. ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 01:22:13 pm by Icerotti »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 01:50:52 pm »
But why wouldn't he let us know that he had to go out?  And I think what we really don't get is why he felt he had to go that bad after having been out just 2.5 hours prior....

Maybe he doesn't how how to let you know that he needs to go out. Many dogs give subtle signals that many people don't notice. When Zoey needs to go out, she doesn't grab a leash or sit at the door or anything grand - she will usually just lay down somewhere near it and look at it, and we know her enough to know which looks mean 'let me out please'...

One thing you might want to consider is bell training. Take a bell, tie it to a rope, and attach it to your doorknob. Everytime you take crede out, stop at the door and either pick up his paw or gentle guide his muzzle to make it hit the bell, then take him outside. Soon he will learn 'when i ring the bell i go outside'. Once he figures that the bell means outside, he will probably test you by ringing his 'new toy' constantly. It will get annoying, but you have to take him outside when he does it so that you reinforce the importance of the bell. Eventually he will get bored of ringing it for fun and ring it when he needs it...

Also, you have to keep in mind that at his young age, 2.5 hours is a long time, especially if he has had a full bowl of water.
RIP former BPO

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 02:02:41 pm »
Ok thanks, I feel better about it now.  And I was going to ask how to bell-train him, so thanks for that too!