Author Topic: Does Anyone have a hunting dog?  (Read 12023 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Does Anyone have a hunting dog?
« on: November 12, 2005, 01:56:24 pm »
My bf wants to make our wiem puppy into a hunting dog.  He really likes to duck hunt and met a guy that has a wiem that does it.  Both of bell's parents were champion field trail dogs so she does hav it in her.  The guy that has a wiem told my bf that if you are to have a good hunting dog then the dog HAS to live outside all the time so that way the dog can be one with nature and know all the smells and sounds. 

I told my bf that i am not doing that.  My baby is not sleeping outside.  I have never had an outside dog and never will.  Now my question is to have a good hunting dog do they have to live outside.  Because if they do i want no part of it.  They say that they are working dogs or pets not both.  That supposedly it ruins them.   

Now she is outside alot during the day if it is not too hot or too cold ( which it never is in alabama).  I have horses so when i am out they are out.  They have a doggy door where they can come and go as they please and at 11 each night i lock it so that way they dont go out anymore and then it is opened back up at 6 when he leaves for work.   

Can anyone please help me because i dont want her to be outside and he really wants her to be a hunting dog and she is "suppose" to be his dog.  Help me PLEASE!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Kiahpyr

Re: Does Anyone have a hunting dog?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 02:10:50 pm »
We had hunting dogs growing up and they were inside dogs. My brother and my uncle both still have hunting dogs and they are inside. I don't believe that dogs have to be outside dogs to be good hunting dogs.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 02:43:02 pm »
That is what i thought.  He bought some books on hunting dogs and it never said either way if they should be inside or outisde.  He told me to post to yall cause he thought yall would know.  thanks for the info. 

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 03:22:38 pm »
My brother-in-law and nephew both have hunting dogs (chocolate labs) and they sleep inside and get loved on ALL the time.  All three dogs are field champions so, personally, I agree with you!  The more they are loved, the more they want to listen to their person.  JMO  ;D

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 03:49:42 pm »
I have a Llewellin English Setter.  We never hunted her because of the area we live in, but her littermates all hunt (And live inside as is stated in the contract we signed for her), and her parents are both field trial champs as WELL as ordinary upland bird dogs and they live inside as well.  It's total crap about the other.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 04:50:24 pm »
It is an old fashion MYTH that for a dog to be a good hunting dog it must live outdoors. It is now a held belief amongst many of the top field and retriever trainers that it is better they live indoors in order to have a greater bond with the owner. The subject has been written about many times in hunting magazines....
I see the old belief being held by hunters who plain and simple either own to many dogs or use them only as tools for the trade.

I suggest you find a new mentor.

Also you stated that your Weim has Champion field lines? Please be aware that those lines are for upland bird hunting ..MUCH different then being a water retriever for duck hunting.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 04:51:40 pm »
I work at Parkdale Kennels (they train labs for hunting), and all their labs live inside or in the kennel which is inside. The ones that are actually in the kennels are usually the ones in training...but they are still inside.

There are two Wiems there right now and they are so adorable (only boarding)...even if Kobe doesn't like to come back in when i'm done cleaning his kennel ;D

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 05:00:06 pm »
Yes i knew that about field trails is on land and i told my bf that.  I then talked to her breeder and found out that two of her brothers are being trained for duck hunting.  I also found out that her mom is a wonderful duck hunter after becoming a field trail champ.  I had no idea that they could do both.  but thank you all for the info.  If you cant tell this is definatley my first "hunting" dog ;D

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 05:02:29 pm »
It's neat that they're so versatile.  Alot of the field trial dogs out there can NOT hunt in the traditional aspect.  If you watch OLN at all they do the duck trials and they'll comment on if a dog is suited to a certain course or if it will be hard because of them hunting at home or not.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 05:06:09 pm »
Yes Weims can make fine duck hunting dogs....I just wanted to make sure you were aware there was a difference in the two and what the dog would be trained to do.

Good luck to you~

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 05:27:19 pm »
Thank you so much for everything.  I hope she does well but if not she will just be a lovable part of the gang. 

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 12:36:55 pm »
Yall have been a great help.  I showed my bf all of the posts and he was like ok maybe you do know what you are talking about.  So we are going to try it. I mean if it doesnt work out we are just going to have another loving dog that lives "inside"

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 02:10:45 pm »
WARNING:  SHAMELESS PROMOTION ABOUT MY JOB  (but in a good cause)

If your BF is serious about hunting over your dog, you should get him a subscription to Gun Dog for Christmas. 

It has 7 issues a year, and they're always full of information about hunt training, correction techniques, medical information, and articles about hunting, plus there's tons of information about trainers, not just for the dog, but for your BF and dog to go together.   It usually features a breed of the month, except for the puppy issue, which will just melt your heart.

I have a cousin who's a big time bird hunter--he has pointing labs and a Dalmatian right now--and he's subscribed to Gun Dog for years and years.  He keeps all his issues in the locking file cabinet where he keeps his shot and bullets and stuff, and he looks ups stuff all the time in the back issues.   

One of the reasons I took this job was the chance to work on this magazine--I think it's one of the best around.  I'm really proud to say that I work with it.

Here's the link, if you want to look into it:

http://www.gundogmag.com/

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 02:35:51 pm »
I will have to do that thank you so much

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 03:13:19 pm »
You are very welcome.  And guess what?  I was just sending a media kit out and noticed that WEIMARANERS will be the featured breed in the Puppy Issue! 

So even if you don't get him a sub, you might want to find that issue, since it will be all about his dog.  ;)

Sheryl, Dogless and sad