Author Topic: Crede holds his very own meet-n-greet  (Read 6558 times)

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
Crede holds his very own meet-n-greet
« on: November 12, 2005, 04:29:55 pm »
We took another three-mile walk today, even thought it's windier than h&ll here.  I thought it would be good to get out of the house since the baby's been "talking" alllllllll morning (that'd be since 5am) in this really loud, shrill voice that's driving me NUTS.

Anyways, we walked down to my favorite Starbucks and I tied Crede outside (of course he's where I can always see him) and Declan (my son) and I sit down at a table with a coffee.  People were just drawn to him!  I mean, dozens of people!  And like a true ambassador of the breed, he was friendly, but not overly so, not jumpy, just happy and affectionate to everyone!  It was so good for him!

And then a strange thing happened...whe n I went outside to get him and walk home, he became extremely submissive to me and tried to run away from me.  Like I was going to hurt him or something.  I didn't understand it at all, but just kept telling him he was a good boy, and it's okay, etc.     ???    ???    ???

OK, Declan's "talking" again....gotta go.
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

henrysmomma

Re: Crede holds his very own meet-n-greet
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 04:46:02 pm »
Good boy Crede! I wonder why he was scared of you? Were you staring at his face? Sometimes dogs perceive that as a challenge... ???

Rose

Offline jupiterjenny

• Ankle Biter
  • Daisy Mae
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 04:53:10 pm »
i had my previous dane do that to me, i was walkinh into a petco, and of course everone is oh-ing and aw-ing, and i reached down to get a better grip if the leash and she dropped and yelped! i didn't even touch her! and everyone was looking at me like i'm some dane beating monster, it was horrible. soon after that she started getting really weird, standing in cornors and swaying, them she devloped sezures. NOT that i think your dog is gonna do that but, in hind sight i think that was a sign of things to come wih my girl. But start watching for other behavioral clues, maybe he just didn't know it was you?   
Check out my art work!
www.jupiterjen ny.deviantart. com

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 05:06:34 pm »
How old is Crede?  I know that my boxer did this exact same thing.  She was like 6 7 months old and i wentto pet her and she acted like i had been beating her.  I asked a trainer at the time and they said it is somethng called fear periods.  It is when your dog is scared of something that he had never been scared of before which unfortunatley in my case was me.  Now the great thing was it went just as fast as it came so that might be it.  The trainer said that all dogs go through them just sometimes you cant notice them.  With brooklynn i got home and would call her over and give her treats and pet her telling her how good she was and then it became a positive thing not a negative one. Hopefully that helps!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 07:11:52 pm »
Crede's 6 months old.  And now that I'm thinking, he had two submissive pees this morning with my husband...and then the thing with me this afternoon...ma ybe it is a "fear" thing.

Well, he's wiped out right now...been sleeping for hours.  But treats and lovies definitely are in order when he wakes up!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 08:34:06 pm »
Do you know anything about his background?  His former owners and why they gave him up?  It sounds like it could be a fear period....I think the Monks of New Skete talk about it...

Something might have happened to him with his former owners.  I still have to constantly reassure Cowboy (we got him at 18 months) and he hardly ever leaves my side....EVER!  It can drive me a bit nuts since he hates it if I close the bathroom door...but 150 pound Newfie in your lap during a private moment is more that I can handle some days.  He's getting better about not scratching at the door.  I think his previous owner kept him crated all the time and left him alone much of the time so he's happiest when we're touching.

Good luck.  I'm sure once he knows he's got a forever home and he's accepted no matter what, things will calm down!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 08:36:12 pm »
Here's one idea that came to mind...

Crede was rescued from an abusive situation, right? Do you know how he was treated there? Was he left out alone on a tie-up a lot? If he was, perhaps being left tied up alone in front of starbucks brought back memories of his 'former life' and he is afraid that you are going to hurt him like his former owner did... I don't know how you can get him over that beyond lots of love, attention, and trust building.
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 08:59:53 pm »
Sounds logical to me, Shangrila!!  And what's better than loving a big fuzzy boy???  Constant reassurance is not a bad thing.  The bond is much tighter, I think when you get them from a unhappy previous experience.  Cowboy is SO grateful to be safe!  And I'm so happy I can make him feel safe and happy!!

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 09:13:42 pm »
that is true shangrila.  I didnt even think about that.

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 09:46:21 pm »
Well, not an abusive situation, really.  His owner was a single mom who lost her job and just couldn't keep up with the cost of his puppy immunizations, neuter surgery, heartwork prevent. etc., and so she just gave him up to rescue.  Of course, I don't have any idea how he was treated there, but my contact at the rescue agency didn't seem to think he'd been through any trauma there.  And nothing that he's done would lead me to believe that he suffered any abuse whatsoever.  I did find out in the last couple of hours from the rescue contact (same person that fostered him) that Crede did the same thing with her at the vet clinic she works for.  He'd be enjoying everyone's attention and she would come to get him and take him home and he'd just pee everywhere.  She said not to read too much into it, so I'm not going to, but I do know that I have a *really* sensitive boy on my hands!  S'okay...there are worse things, right?  :D

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 11:37:15 am »
It is adolescent shyness, I think he will grow out of it.  We faced the same exact stuff with our adoptee (Mowgli) when we brought him home, and he is just getting over it.  We went through the whole submissive peeing thing, and other dog fear/agression.  And I know he was never abused at all, he would just get so excited to see up that he would piddle.  I would not coddle him when he acts that way, just be patient with him and he will outgrow it.  I would not be suprised if he has weird fears of inanimate things all of a sudden on/off either.  He'll come out of this stage and then start testing boundaries before long :) They do keep you on your toes, eh?

Great page on puppy stages
http://www.doberman.org/articles/puppy.htm

BTW: Crede is a great looking dog!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 11:40:07 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 12:32:48 pm »
Thanks for the puppy page brandon ;D  it is an awesome reference for bell

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 02:32:57 pm »
Sounds logical to me, Shangrila!!  And what's better than loving a big fuzzy boy???  Constant reassurance is not a bad thing.  The bond is much tighter, I think when you get them from a unhappy previous experience.  Cowboy is SO grateful to be safe!  And I'm so happy I can make him feel safe and happy!!

I've wondered about this (bond being tighter). Sadie is so attached (and me to her); she's like my shadow. She's protective of me, and if she nots walking right with me, she wants to keep me in her sight. She'll go through the annoyance of getting up from resting in the living room just to follow me to the bathroom (she knows how to open the door, too), rest there, then go back to resting in the living room when I walk back out there. She's done better with Riley around; I got him as a puppy, and he's more confident, I think. Both are submissive to other dogs, though.

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2005, 01:21:52 pm »
Feste's done this a couple of times... I finally figured out  that it was after times where he was around other dogs and people a lot - almost like he gets sensory overload like a young child would and instead of acting out, he'd just cower at anything and everything.  I started to keep a closer eye on his reactions and whenever I'd see any signs of it start reassuring him (getting down on his level to pet him, giving him a treat for no reason, make sure my leg was touching his side when we were standing still... that sort of thing).  He hasn't done it in a while, so I'm hoping that it was age and coming from an unstable background that created the behavior.  The longer he's been with me, the more comfortable with unfamiliar situations he has become and fewer of those types of episodes happen.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)