Author Topic: Squirt bottles for training.  (Read 3085 times)

lins_saving_grace

Squirt bottles for training.
« on: May 04, 2005, 11:41:25 am »
Does anyone else use squirt bottles for training pups not to stick their noses in places you don't want them to?

I do and Grace just bounces and spins in circles in an attempt to rid her no zone bullseye of the slightest droplet of water. 
Lady is amune to it by now.  It helps her stop barking through the living room window still though.

Rufiesmom

Re: Squirt bottles for training.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 03:13:54 pm »
We use squirt bottles and our Rotti girl Bailey thinks its great fun!  She loves to see the squirt bottle come out.  Maybe it's because she knows Rufus is scared to death of it!  He is the biggest baby about the squirt bottle.  If we just say we are getting it he runs and tries to hide.  We don't have too many hidey holes for the poor guy!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 03:30:50 pm »
I tried using a squirt bottle with my Dobe when he was a pup but he just thought it was the greatest thing to get water squirted at him, it was a game.  I think it works best with cats.  I have a tin can half full of coins and I shake it just slightly to get my dogs to stop whatever it is that they are doing so I can redirect their attention to something else.

Offline romanreign

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Roman Reign Working Dog
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 04:10:38 pm »
you can try adding a little white vinegar to the water.  Smell awful, works great!
Roman Reign, Work Hard, Play Happy, Eat Well

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 05:31:04 pm »
We tried to use the squirt bottle but Bear, being a water dog, LOVED it! He thought it was treat time.  :) We tried Binaca and Tobasco Sauce with the same results. The only thing that worked as an attention getter for him was the rattle can. It really worked wonders!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 09:42:18 am »
Fabulous ideas!   Smelly though.  :) 
As long as my aim is right in that one spot the dogs respond.  I'm afraid that getting them in the very back end though will scare them into not going potty.  They're usually pretty good...just terribly inquizative.