Author Topic: Ugh. What are we doing wrong?  (Read 10243 times)

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
Ugh. What are we doing wrong?
« on: November 13, 2005, 10:45:49 am »
Crede peed in his crate last night. I fed him around 6pm and gave him
4 cups of water. I took him out 1-2 hours later for a walk, and he
peed, twice. I didn't give him any water after that. My husband came
home around 11pm and took him out again for a long walk. He peed and
poo-ed. My husband didn't give him any water after that walk either.
So he peed in his crate after going out twice, peeing both times, and
not having any water. I don't get it. Help, please.

(Oh, btw, he was just at the vet and everything checked out okay except for a little doggie cold which he's recovered from now.)
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Ugh. What are we doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 12:11:20 pm »
Some dogs just don't get it that they aren't supposed to pee in the crate. I know they are supposed to have an instinct not to do that, but if they ever lived in a situation where they were allowed to pee in the same area they lived for a while, it's hard to retrain them to be clean. Nigel was kept in a small dirty pen before I adopted him and it made crate training impossible. He would pee in the crate as soon as I put him in! Mokey turned out to be the same way. Peeing in the crate the first time in.
I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all, Crede is just going to require a slightly different strategy. Can you keep the crate near you at night so you might wake up if he does?

An old BPO member named RedyreRottweil ers had some great advice on this topic, I'll see if I can find it in the old posts.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 12:15:05 pm »
Here's what I found that Redyre wrote, it was advice for a pup who was pooping in his crate (yuck!) but I think it could be helpful for you:

"You can try a couple of things.

1) move his evening feeding time up earlier in the day so he will have a chance to eliminate before bedtime.

2) Go outside with him and HANDSOMELY food reward all outdoor defecation.

3) If you are using a sky kennel plastic crate, get a wire one. Or vice versa.

4) Instead of using the crate, use a wide flat buckle collar, and tether him to your bed or your dresser near your bedside for sleep. This way he will likely FUSS if he needs to go, and you can take him outside."

I know you have already adjusted the feeding and watering time, but don't give up yet!!!

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 12:27:20 pm »
Also what i found is if you have a dog that is used to living in dirty conditions you can put a towel in there with them for about a week.  My giant Winston did this same thing.  We put a towel with him for a week so he learned what it was like to be clean because it absorbs in the towel.  Then remove it after a week an he will maybe go in the crate like one or two times but he will not want to do it agian because he has learned to be a clean dog.
I hope that helps you at all.  Also everything Redyre said sounds like awesome ideas and believe me she would know.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 04:47:03 pm »
From what you have told us about crede so far, I would guess that it was a fear pee, not a bladder-too-full pee. Either being alone in the crate was scary for him, or there was a loud noise (a car honk or something), etc...

Where is the crate kept? If it is not kept near you in the bedroom, I highly suggest you try moving it there.
RIP former BPO

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 05:38:27 pm »
I think he just wants a new nickname and that is "Pee Pee head"
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 08:11:04 pm »
I wonder if it is Anxiety...did the dog drink a whole 4 cups of water?  That does seem like a lot especially at 6pm...My gut instinct says anxiety or stress...is the crate a wire or a plastic one...

some dogs do better in wire crates because it is more open
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 08:35:44 pm »
just a thought, could he have a bladder infection? i know you said he was just at the vet and was checked out.  they actually have to catch some urine to test for UTIs.  if he doesnt then he could just be not getting the whole housebreaking thing.  doghealer, those are excellent suggestions!  was the crate peeing immediately after he was put in or was it thru the night?  if he held it for a few hours but was not able to hold it all night, then he might just not be able to hold it for very long.  i forgot how old he was?  even though he looks not like a puppy, his bladder still may be...
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 01:38:46 pm »
I wonder if it is Anxiety...did the dog drink a whole 4 cups of water?  That does seem like a lot especially at 6pm...My gut instinct says anxiety or stress...is the crate a wire or a plastic one...

some dogs do better in wire crates because it is more open

Yup, a whole 4 cups, and he'd drink WAY more than that if we'd let him.  I've never seen a thirstier dog in all my life.  Can excessive thirst be an indicator of something not-so-good?  Oh I hope not...

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 02:14:19 pm »
Yes...excessiv e water drinking can be an indicator to many different things...
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: It,Could be the Food,There Might be to much Salt in it for Him???
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 02:29:52 pm »
???Check it out or he is just not use to you all, might have to cut back on the water,sounds like a lot all at once,!!might to much for him,u see they have small Blaters in the begining and can't hold for to long! if u give to much!no matter wear he is it is going to come out he is a Baby, and might be 5 mos old but new home! ::)it will take a few weeks it will take time cut the water to two cups and make sure there is no salt in his food look for Eagle Pack it is a very Good Product for Saints for there Stomact's to!! email any time Waffles717@yahoo.com love molly&Maggie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 03:30:04 pm »
Dogs aren't that different from in some ways. 

People eat and drink emotionally, and so do dogs.  Just like you might go to the chocolate if you're in a kind of iffy place emotionally, Crede might be going for the water bowl.

My Rusty was an emotional drinker--yes, I know how that sounds :D.   He didn't have classic separation anxiety, but if we took him with us to to spend the night with Gran or left him with my aunt overnight to go camping or something, he would drink the toilets dry, he would go out and lick the sprinklers, he would go in the kitchen and jump up on the counter and drink soapy DISHWATER.   It was fine to go visiting for a few hours, but if he thought that he wasn't going home, he'd hunt down the nearest water source.

And after all that drinking, he'd submissive pee every time you tried to comfort or calm him.  The combination of emotional drinking and submissive peeing meant that Rusty was NOT a popular doggy guest.

As soon as would take him home, his whole behavior shifted back to normal.  He was just a homebody dog that didn't like being out of his comfort zone. 

I would definitely make sure that there's nothing physically wrong with Crede, but keep in mind that your home is still new to him, and it might take a few weeks for him to stabilize emotionally.  He's still a baby and has been through separating from his mom and sibs, having a first family, leaving that family, a rescue and now your house!  Imagine how you'd feel if all that happened to you in such a short time!

I know I'D be searching for the Godiva Chocolates store if all that happened to me  :-*

Just use a 'timed' water ration plan that cuts him off a good 3 hours before bedtime.  Of course, then you have to be sure you don't roughhouse with him after he's out of water for the day, but hopefully as he adjusts you'll be able to taper off the rationing plan.

You're not doing anything wrong.  You're just learning, the same as Crede. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 05:26:16 pm »
Well we did have a dry crate this morning, so that's something!  I think he's just adjusting, myself.  I've always had a pretty good intuition when something was medically wrong with any of my pets, and my warning bells just aren't going off with Crede.  If it keeps up for another week or so, I'll make him an appointment for a CBC.

Thanks again everyone!! :-*

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 05:34:33 pm »
Well we did have a dry crate this morning, so that's something!  I think he's just adjusting, myself.  I've always had a pretty good intuition when something was medically wrong with any of my pets, and my warning bells just aren't going off with Crede.  If it keeps up for another week or so, I'll make him an appointment for a CBC.

Thanks again everyone!! :-*

I think you're right.  He's adjusting.  it's hard even though he may seem happy...he's got some getting used to to do.  :)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 06:14:41 pm »
I don't think that 4 cups of water is abnormally high for a saint at dinnertime. It can't hurt to check with the vet but I doubt there is a medical condition causing him to drink that much.
RIP former BPO