Author Topic: "Ooh, Ooh, Bed Pee-er!"  (Read 6248 times)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
"Ooh, Ooh, Bed Pee-er!"
« on: November 13, 2005, 02:10:15 pm »
Sing this to the tune of that old song, "Dreamweaver" - "Ooh, ooh, bed pee-er, I believe I'm gonna soak your shee-eets.... Bed Pee-er!..."

Ranger is just over two years old and hasn't had an accident in the house since we first brought him home at about 10 months, UNTIL FRIDAY NIGHT.

It rained a few days ago here in San Diego, and for some reason for a couple weeks after it has rained, Ranger hates to go in the backyard.  I don't know if he doesn't like the feeling of the damp ground on his paws, or if the smell of worms is a turn-off, or what, but he will not go down into the lower part of our backyard to his normal "pee-ing place". 

He will run around the side of the house into the rocks there, and do what he needs to do as quickly as he can.  That is, IF you can get him outside in the first place - sometimes he just runs and hides like you are a serial killer carrying a Ginsu when you call him to go outside. Just to make things easier, sometimes when he gets like this, we just put his leash on and take him out the front door and walk him up and down in front of the house until he goes. 

So on Friday night, he was being all wiggy about going outside.  But at about 9:45, he went over to the sliding glass door and grunted, so I took him out.  He ran over to the side of the house, did the world's quickest poop, and ran back to the door.  I said "Do you need to pee?"  He said "No, but thank you for asking."  I said "Are you SURE you don't need to pee?"  He said "No, I am quite certain that I don't.  I wish to go inside now."  I said "Are you positive?"  He said "Inside, please.  Now."  I sensed he might be lying, but I can't MAKE him go pee, so we went in.

About 2 minutes later, I went to bed.  Ranger will usually join me in the bedroom for a little belly-rubbing action before Scott kicks him out and closes the door so I can actually sleep, so it wasn't too long before he came sailing over the footboard of the bed and landed with a thump next to me.  He started to make himself comfortable.  He turned a couple times, in that pre-laying down circle that dogs do.  He dug at the comforter and sheets to make a nest.  That was pretty fun.  Some frenzied sheet digging ensued.  Apparently TOO frenzied, because the next thing I heard was the sound of a dog releasing his full bladder on my bed.  I was so tired that it took a few minutes for everything to sink in (except the pee into my sheets).  I was kind of like "Hmmmm, that sounds familiar...  What is that sound?  It kinda sounds like a dog peeing...  But, that is an outside sound.  It wouldn't be inside.  Unless.... Ranger.....is. ....peeing.... ..on.....the.. .....bed.  OHMYGODHEPEEDO NTHEBED!"

It was everywhere.  It literally POOLED, there was so much of it.  I did not get to go to sleep.  I got to get up, strip the comforter, strip the sheets, strip the mattress pad, blot the mattress, turn the mattress, and then lay freezing on the bare mattress shivering and TRYING to sleep.  Ranger pretended to be sorry, but I know that he was really just like "Ahhhhhh, sweet, sweet relief."

Hopefully this makes those of you who are struggling with housebreaking issues with your younger guys feel better.  It can happen to anyone at anytime!  No one is safe!   ;D

Thankfully, no "accidents" since then...

« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 02:31:32 pm by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: "Ooh, Ooh, Bed Pee-er!"
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 02:29:47 pm »
I'm sorry too, really I am... there may be tears streaming down my face and I'm sat here laughing so hard no noise is coming out...

I should know better too as my shar-pei is incontinent occasionally at night. I woke up in a cold patch of dog pee on several occasions before I hardened my heart and made her sleep in her crate.

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 02:32:56 pm »
OH MY!!!  Sounds like Ranger was being the little devil we all knew he was, and now I can understand you avatar!! HAHAHAHA!   Just kiddin' ya.  Poor YOU, to have to sleep all cold and practically nekkid on the bare mattress.  I need at least 3 blanky's on the bed to get nice and comfortable to go to bed........hop efully you'll get a better sleep tonight! :)

Andi

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 02:37:45 pm »
No apologies for laughing - you guys know I am always glad when my misfortunes give others a giggle. 

As I always say, about both me and my dog - If you can't be a good example, at least be a horrible warning!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 02:43:07 pm »
It's just wrong that I'm giggling.

Question about his reluctance to go outside:  was there any thunder/lightening during the storms right before it developed? 

Rick's bulldog developed a similar thing last winter, and based on how she was acting when we had the thunderstorms around here a couple of weeks ago, we think she might have been shocked by a lightening bolt--not hit by one, but just shocked because the ground was wet and one hit nearby.  Since then, Rick's talked to his neighbors and there are 2 other dogs in his neighborhood that developed the same "no wet ground" attitude around the same time his baby girl did.  Apparently  none of these dogs want to go out in the rain anymore, and won't go out to potty when it's wet after the rain--one of them doesn't even like it when the lawn's wet from the sprinkler!

Rick's going to try nailing a tarp to a little wooden frame to make a potty shelter next to the patio door when it rains for her use when the weather's bad.

Yes:  a doggie outhouse.

Tell me, are we crazier then you are?

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 02:57:49 pm »
You certainly tell that story well.

However, I wonder if the rain event is just a coincidence. it sounds to me like Ranger might have a bladder or kidney infection or stones. his reluctance to pee outside, going quickly when he does, and not being able to hold it indoors when he normally does...

I would take him to the vet just to be sure.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 03:03:19 pm »
I wish I could tell stories like that. I was laughing so hard! I've been there but with my cats. They hold grugdes! LOL!!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 03:35:52 pm »
You certainly tell that story well.

However, I wonder if the rain event is just a coincidence. it sounds to me like Ranger might have a bladder or kidney infection or stones. his reluctance to pee outside, going quickly when he does, and not being able to hold it indoors when he normally does...

I would take him to the vet just to be sure.

I totally thought of that - I was all ready to rush him to the emergency vet right then and there.  But Scott convinced me to wait and see what happened, based on the fact that he hasn't been peeing frequently, or in tiny dribbles.  He hasn't been straining to pee, or licking himself or acting like he is in any discomfort.  The urine looks good.  I am still keeping an eye on him for symptoms, but right now, he seems fine - no more incidents over the weekend, and he is going on a normal schedule again.  He only acts weird about going outside when it is damp out - he seems back to normal now, because it was warm over the weekend, and everything is dried up!  He is a weird one... 

NoDogNow - we live in California, with very little incident of of thunder or lightning.  We usually just get a few drops of rain, then we freak out, drive badly, and wait for "Storm Watch '05" on the news.   ;D

I think that he may have originally been frightened by the sound of the rain on the metal patio roof, and since then been wary of all things rain related....  Who knows what goes on in his tiny little mind?  Still watching him carefully for signs of a UTI, though.... 

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 08:26:34 pm »
lol  :D

Hope you got your bed back to normal
RIP former BPO