Author Topic: My dogs were fighting  (Read 31326 times)

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: My dogs were fighting
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 04:43:50 pm »
I hope that everything is going better in the house and that Zeus if doing ok now.

Jen

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 08:22:07 am »
Haven't heard anything lately I hope everything is OK.  I've been thinking of you and little Zues :-*

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 12:30:14 am »
 :o gosh I am so sorry, it is such a long time since I even checked this topic, I have almost forgetten that bad day, well no not true. But thanks you all, Zeus is feeling totally okay again, I dont even think he realizes he doesnt have any K-9's in upper jaw. I was actually thinking of taking a pic of the teeth with roots and all, they are sooooo big. Jennifer - yes it was someting I thought of after a few days when I had done a ton of thinking, Hera is only 16 months though, about 15 when it happened, so still a little young for that to show up, and nope absolutely no dryness at all. Mind you, she should have had her panel drawn already, but I thought I was going to wait until we have a visit anyway, which we will at the end of the month or so. Quite a few of her close relatives have had the thyroid tests done, and everything is okay, that of course is no guarantee that she is too, but hopefully there will be no problem. I am not really concerned about Hera though, but Zeus is a little changed in his disposition, after the fact, I can say well it is probably because of what happened, but after having studied him very very closely with the other dogs and even dogs at the park, I can tell that he is changed, his whole body language is different, not a lot, but enough to be noticed if you look for it. I am pretty sure he was the one starting the fight, he has been "picking" with Buffy too after that. But it never went to a fight, she is our Alpha girl here and she made sure he didnt forget that, and he backed down straight away. But something is up with our little Zeus, I had the vet check him over real carefully when we went in for the teeth checkup but he can not find any reason to why he should be different, at least not without running the whole nine yards with tests and all. I will let it rest for awhile and see how he is doing, and if he still seems different I will have to look into what in the world it can be.
I will keep you all updated
Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Jen

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 10:24:14 am »
Thank You for the update.  Glad to hear they are ok.  Have you had to seperate them?  I didn't realize Zues had started it for some reason I thought it was hera because she came out with out injury.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 11:15:31 am »
Yes I know, at first I wasn't sure who had started the whole thing, but now when I look at Zeus and can see how he is a little different in his behavior, I know it is always a possibility that he changed after the fight, but even thought it is not very flattering for me, I think I am the one who has not been observant enough, and that he was like this even before the fight. I know for a fact that he wasnt like it hmmm say 3 or 4 months ago, so something has changed. I just hope it is  nothing that is a health issue. And yes I am separating them, I have done some attempts but, you can tell how they totally stiffen up and Zeus is growling and looking like he is going to attack at any sec. I feel real bad, first I keep thinking that had I only been more observant maybe it would never have happened, and it is always easier to prevent a fight from happening the first time than it is to prevent it from happening again. We have been working with them, sitting down petting and calming, taken walks with both of them at the same time. But at least for now, it is way way too much tension in the air when they see eachother, so I do not want to push it. Hopefully it will calm down, but according to the trainers I have spoke to, it may be too much to hope for. But it works pretty well acctually, better than I thought, to have them separated, we have worked out a routin and everyone seem quite happy with it.

Marit

Jen

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 11:33:11 am »
Once when I was in my late teens, I think about 19 I rescued a german sheppard mix and everything was fine until I ran into to 2 freinds from highschool and their litter of rotties in the park.  Well my little shep and there little rotties where of the same size so dumb us let them off lead to play 3 rotties and my shep.....well the rotties ATTACKED like a pack of wolves my poor little shep never trusted anyone especially me again.  I had to rehome him because as he got older he trusted me less eventually bit me and then just every time anyone got near him he showed teeth and bit so because I was living with my mom and she paid the bills she said he has got go.  Well I said no but when I went away with my freinds on vacation I came home to no dog!!!!!!!!!!  I still hold that over my mothers head 20 years later!

Oh well live and learn.

Jen

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 11:42:08 am »
I am sorry to hear, and I guess I can understand you mom too. But it does hurt you when you feel it is your fault that your dog has been in a fight. And I know had I only been looking harder (and I usually keep telling everyone with more than one dog, how important that is) it probably would never have happened. But now it is done and I will have to try and make the best of the situation. I really should try and take a pic of those teeth, the roots are just huge.

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 12:52:09 pm »
Thanks yes he is, and I so wish it hadnt been such a big thing, you know having to run off with him to the vet. and then his recovering, it made it so much harder to put them together again, than if it had been possible to try and deal with it straight away. And yes Hear was 15 months and I am sure having her hormons all over the place. The muzzle seems like a good idea just that Zeus who was most hurt (Hera wasnt one bit injured) he is I am pretty sure the one who will start anything, I think the reason it got so big of an injury was not from biting or anything, I think when they were tumbling around he somehow hit his mouth in something and that way knocked his teeth out. But I am sure they feel my tension and that doesnt help any. This is by no mean the first dogfight I have had during the years I have had dogs, and the people I bought my danes from, were having to separate dogs, but it is by far the worst injury from a fight I have had to deal with on my own dogs and yes it is scary, the intensety when they are grabbing eachother and blood everywhere, well it is probably going to take me some time to get over and meanwhile I am sure the dogs feel how tense I am when they start to act up, the last thing I want is another fight right now. I will try the muzzle though, but I may actually start muzzling both of them, just to see how they act when I let them loose together.

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 05:39:32 pm »
 :D Funny... hehe that is the hard thing isnt it?? To figure out what is right. I have the nylon muzzles in bulk since I used to work as groomer, so I will definately try that method, and hopefully get some ideas about what is going on, without anyone getting hurt. You are right, it is scary AND expensive. And my husband, ohhh dear.... he cant even see something that may, just may need a bandaid lol.... He was about to faint, I think the only other time I have seen him that weak was when I had the c-sec with youngest daughter and started bleeding later on the same day, he wasnt all that strong then either. The kids dealt with it better than he did, they were all covered in blood by the time we got to the vet. and I didnt hear one word about it being cross. Poor Zeus

Marit

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 10:59:06 am »
A lot of interesting information here.  I have the same dilemma with my old female rottweiler, Greta.  We added a new pup (14 mos. old last October) to our home where Greta and Lou (neutered male) have lived together since pups.  Lou and Greta get along great, of course, though they have had some issues with other dogs.  Strangely, even though Greta was socialized constantly, from puppy kindergarten, to several visits to offleash parks each week, she still became dog-on-dog aggressive around age three for no apparent reason, other than perhaps I was favoring her.  I was still firm with her and expected her to be obedient and let her know I was the alpha, but still...

At first, she was fine with Betti and then she began baring her teeth at her sometimes.  Eventually, she just ripped into her with that full-blown "intent-to-kill" out of control attitude.  So far, we have put a nylon muzzle on Greta and try to keep them separated to give Greta relief from the muzzle as often as possible.  Betti does not want to fight and I noticed she postured herself so as to give Greta submissive signs.  Betti will also run and jump into my lap at the first sign that Greta is around unmuzzled.

So, I believe, in our case, it is definitely a dominance issue.  But, now I have questions about the possibility of a thyroid condition.  We have always carefully monitored our dogs' diets to maintain their weight, but if Greta eats any more than her usual two cups or 1.5 cups twice per day, she starts gaining weight fast.  That's why one of her nicknames is PIG.  Since she does not have a tail, we cannot check for the "dry spot".  She has regular blood panels for her heart condition, so I will ask our veterinarian about the thyroid test.  It would be amazing if that is the reason for her bossy, beligerant tantrums and outrage. :o
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 01:05:30 pm »
Thanks a million, it was real real interesting, and noooo I never get tired of reading about things like that, everyting that educates is super interesting to me. I am glad to hear that it is an easy thing to treat, and love the fact that you can get it in regular pharmacies. In Sweden where I come from, we always get the prescription from our vet and then we go to the regular pharmacy, they carry the dog, cat and horse meds too, even for livestock, pigs well you name it. So it was totally new to me how the vets do it here, that they not only give you a prescription but the meds too. I used to have horses too and once one of my horses had an eye infection, the vet prescribed an ointment for it, some time later one of my danes had a red and irritated eye, I took her to our vet and he prescribed the very same stuff for her, then I got an eyeinfection after a cold and guess what.... when I went to the doc. he gave me the very same stuff and both the horse and the dog had had already lol..... Like you say, a lot of the medication, are the same for people and dogs. If you feel like it, I would absolutely love to hear about how it is now classed as an "auto-immune desease" and what can come from that. When you said one of his siblings lost muscle mass on its head, is it to the point where you can see it, does it look painful?? Thanks again for all this information, it is really very helpful

Marit

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2005, 10:19:44 am »
OMG! What a horrific experience for your family!
My mom had 5 dogs and 2 have to be seaperated form eachother a male and a female.  They both have very dominant personalities and were ok together until the female matured, (boy was older) then they both were alpha, and neither one would give to the other, it was a horrible bloody mess, I will never forget it!  Needless to say they both reside at their home still, but do not ever spend time together.  They would kill eachother.  Mom tried everything to cohabitate them them after the fight but eachi s an Alpha and nothing worked, so the have different runs and come in at different times.  My dad had to go as far as putting electric fence up on the top of their kennels t o keep them from trying to get out and at eachother.
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 09:37:40 pm »
"K9k" thanks for all the info, most of my friends think I am more than a little wacko, because I love to get to know as much as I can about health and diet and all other issues with dogs, they think it is boring...... Ha... if they only knew how much fun it can be. I am looking forward to your next post. Hope your yardwork went well, and do I know what you mean when you say how the laundry is stacking up, I have a sep. hamper for handwash and the little odd things, and when you want to put something in that hamper now, you have to really really carefully balance it on the top, every day I hope it will be gone, but no such luck yet lol.....

kildeskennel, yes it was scary, very much so,and like someone else said I am sure now when I try to put them together again, they can feel how tense I am and well so far it has not worked, I will try the muzzle thing, to see how they react without being able to injure eachother. But who knows maybe I will have to have them separated. I will keep you all posted on how things go, anyone got a valium to spare lol.......

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2005, 11:52:05 pm »
Thank you, I can defenately use a cheering crowd in my corner. I love that kind of books too, and the gross pics never grosses me out, if it is a vet. show on tv, with surgery, the other in the family are either turning away or covering their eyes, I lean forward so I can see better lol.... I used to have fishes too. Well still do, but now it is the kids, so a much smaller tank and just the easy kid fishes. But some years ago, I used to have a rather large tank and had hmmm is discus the english name for them too, that is the name they go under in sweden but I am not totally sure here though. Most people find it strange when you talk about "treating" and "quaranteening" fishes lol.... but they are really a lot of fun. I also bred arabians, and when I had children got into showing and breeding shetland ponies, so they could have ponies their size. Oldest daughter started horseback riding when she was 1,5 years old, okay lol.... she didnt decide, I thought it was about time she got up there, so she didnt have much of a choice. Have also always had dogs and cats. and most pocket pets. I was an animal freak as a little girl, and made my poor parents put up with almost every pet in the book. My dad told me that, when I saw my first western movie, I got soooo upset and cried when a horse fell, then when a man got shot I didnt say a thing lol....

I am so looking forward to hearing about thyroids and the masticatory myositis

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2005, 03:16:45 am »
Yes they are sweethearts lol..... My first pony was a shetland, I got him when I was 6, and the very first time I rode him in the woods I fell off 7 or 8 times in 30 min lol......

Ohhhh they are called discus here too, great, well yes they are a little difficult to keep, but I love them, so sweet (if a fish can be sweet lol)

It is sooo funny though, that you too reacted the same way to the falling horses. I guess I have given those genetics to my daughter too, she is a vegitarian, not because she doesnt like meat, but because she can not stand the thought of eating an animal. I have most of my adult life been active in animal rights, but I am sure Malin will become some kind of activist, hanging from a tree fending for some poor defensless animal. She needs to calm down a bit and mature, but the heart is in the right place, and I can see myself at that age in her, so it is hard to tell her to back down a little. I can also see that Jennifer is getting more and more into defending animals, Chris (hubby) sometimes likes to joke about how hungry he gets when he sees a pig or cow and Jennifer can not stand that anymore, she actually cries and tells him that we can get all the pigs and cows he wants but they will be our pets lol...... She is still not real clear about that the hot dogs and meatballs she is eating is from them, and I will wait to tell her, or she will go vegitarian on me too. I didnt eat meat for about 10 years either, I still can not eat a steak, or ribs or anything that would remind me of an animal, the very little meat I eat is when I buy hamb. meat and cook it myself so I know whats in it lol.... but I am a big fish lover, yeah..... this time eating them hehe, especially salmon. Hmmmm can anyone explain how in the world I got here....... I think this thread is about Hera and Zeus fighting and now I am taling about food okay it is time for me to go to bed  ;D

Marit