Author Topic: Bad trainer??  (Read 20065 times)

henrysmomma

Re: Bad trainer??
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 12:01:53 am »
That guy sounds like a jerkoff, report him to the SPCA.

Rose

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Bad trainer?? another question
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 12:33:56 am »
I have been just sick about this all day, my pup was limping on his back leg this morning, and now he's limping on his front leg. Called my vet and she said to watch him for a day or so, if he isn't better to bring him in.
My question is, can I file charges against this so called trainer for animal abuse?? I live in Pennsylvania. If anyone knows if this is something I can do, please let me know. I want something done to this jerk..

Thank you

Aimee

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 03:34:58 am »
I think that is absolutely terrible.  How awful for you and your baby.  I spoke with this trainer awhile back and he was telling me the different theorys in dog training.  And he described a method very similar to what ou experienced.  It is old school but it has a name and there are still a few trainers who use that method.  This trainer didn't use it but he was telling me about it.  Scary!!!!!!

Offline vizslamaniac

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 08:17:20 am »
I have been just sick about this all day, my pup was limping on his back leg this morning, and now he's limping on his front leg. Called my vet and she said to watch him for a day or so, if he isn't better to bring him in.
My question is, can I file charges against this so called trainer for animal abuse?? I live in Pennsylvania. If anyone knows if this is something I can do, please let me know. I want something done to this jerk..

Thank you
Aimee

I am horrified reading your thread and my heart goes out to you.  I would absolutely file charges. 1.) Write down exactly your experience, when, where it took place, how many other dog owners were there how you heard of this guy etc.  2.) Keep good records of you vet bills. You can get your vet to write up his comments. 3.) Make a video of your pup. 4.) look into getting some legal help. I know that there are some lawyers that will do some work for free. This "trainer" is a hazard. Definitely call the SPCA. Please keep us posted about your baby. 
Adele

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 09:54:25 am »

I just took my 6 month old Aussie mix Kobi to an obedience class.the first thing they wanted to do was have him be held down, Kobi has always had a problem being restrained. so anyway, I was having a problem getting him down. The trainer came over got VERY rough with him and Kobi bit him. So the trainer hung him, he had a choke chain on so it was even worse, the poor pup shit himself and his lips turned blue, he almost passed out. I was SICK!!!
He did behave after, but I think there has to be a better way to train. the bad news is I live in a rural area and this guy is the ONLY trainer around.
Please any thoughts on this, I really wanted some training for him, he's a really good dog in every other way and loves people.

Thanks,  Aimee

i have NEVER HEARD  of this kind of training
it's cruel

someone should hold him down and choke him

a good obed. book with reward and positive reinforcement would be much better,   how dare he hurt an animal, no way to train!!!! :o
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2005, 10:03:16 am »
Where is Nicki and her bat when we need her!
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GR8DAME

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2005, 10:19:51 am »

Thank you

Aimee
When you contact the SPCA it would be helpful to have a list of the other owners that were present during the class. It would give them a start to their investigation and witnesses to your story. Even though some of them may not agree with turning him in to the SPCA, I can't imagine that they were not appalled by his tactics, and at least verify that the incident occurred. Appeal in the local papers for anyone that has had a similar experience, while ONLY stating your experience and not any accusations (bad trainer for example) to protect yourself from any liability/slander issues. Good Luck, I hope in the very least you drive him out of business.
Stella

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2005, 10:23:03 am »
I'm so sorry this happen to your pup. A thing like this is why I take a Don't touch my dog approach whenever in classes since there are many trainers out there whos methods are much like you saw last night. Some old school training there....

You must be a far calmer person then I since I have seen dogs hung but never seen one whos lips turned blue....passed out yes. I don't think I could have controled my urge to hit this man for that amount of time.

What did this trainer say afterwards to you about it? Also why would your pup be limping? Did he also slam it to the ground?

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2005, 10:35:34 am »
Please make sure this trainer is not on this list (since there are now trainers on here that do not use positive methods ~just figured out the APDT was a great cheap way to get their name out)

http://www.apdt.com/trainers-and-owners/trainer-search/trainer-search-run.php

if he is you can contact the APDT for help also.

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2005, 12:44:01 pm »
First of all I want to thank everyone for they're thoughts on all of this, I am taking my pup to the vet this afternoon his limping has gotten worse, he's holding his front leg up and crying. I don't know what the hanging could have done to cause this, hopefully my vet will know.
I am wondering if it could be lymes brought out by the stress, I pray it isn't I just lost a dog to lymes.
Also I called the local ASPCA today and they are going to investagate this trainer.

Thank you all again,

Aimee

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2005, 12:51:49 pm »
I'm SO glad that you've reported the trainer!  There's just NOOO excuse for abusing a dog!   >:( >:(

My fingers are crossed for you over his health.  Hopefully it's just a pulled muscle or something equally minor!!  Please let us know!!!

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2005, 02:45:43 pm »
Aimee, Im very curious you said you just lost a dog to lyme's, I have lyme's so does Chazzy, Apache & I assume Kiya will get it eventually. Was this a case of not treating it soon enough?
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Do not take your dog *near* that person
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2005, 03:04:48 pm »
That is sooooooooooooo oooooooo wrong!
I am so sorry for Kobi and you had to watch.

There is no need to do that to a dog.
If the dog has dominance problems, there are much more positive ways to handle it (I have posted these on this board elsewhere)
You can find someone in your area who know canine behavior..
I am sold on 'behaviorists'- not trainers.....
The APDT site should help you find a good person.
GGGGGGGGGGGGGG GRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRR!
I'd bite him too!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 03:13:04 pm by WhiteShepherdDog »
Regards,
Martha in Texas

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
The Monks are not the best role models!
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2005, 03:11:10 pm »
The Monks of New Skete have a wonderful training DVD/video!!  It's calm and gentle and makes perfect sense.   It's on Amazon.com.

Whoa! Wait a minute....the monks use the Alpha roll----no-no-no!!!
They advocate hitting your dog on the chin...
They have beautiful dogs and love them, I am sure.
They are not the best canine psychologists. ...too weird for me.
They are notthe cutting edge way to develop a relationship with a dog using canine psychology---not worth the $75.00- really.
I recommend the Whole Dog Journal and Pat Miller.
I have to put in a plug for training dogs using John Rogerson's emotional reward methods---but you can't really find his books- his seminars are great, though.
---
Like I said, find a dog behaviorist who knows current practices....e ven Cesar Milan's stuff is better than the Monks....trust me! I bought the DVD's and couldn't believe they do the alpha roll.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 03:18:14 pm by WhiteShepherdDog »
Regards,
Martha in Texas

Offline vizslamaniac

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2005, 03:12:01 pm »
The pup may be limping due to vertibrae/nerve damage.