Author Topic: bottom of the crate question?  (Read 6199 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
bottom of the crate question?
« on: November 15, 2005, 01:55:39 pm »
hey all.. i have a quick question.  fumble has a blanket down the bottom of his crate, and he completely moved it all the way to the back and is sleeping on the plastic bottom.  anybody have any tips on what to put on the bottom? he gets really hot at night, even with two fans and an open window, so i'm not sure how well one of those sheepskin things will work.. any tips?? or suggestions?? thanks!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: bottom of the crate question?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 01:57:00 pm »
Rocco does the same thing.  He will sometimes pull the blanket out before getting in.  You can always use those mattress garter belt type things to clip each side of the blanket under the tray.  But he doesn't want the blanket under him he might just rip it up trying to move it.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 02:01:42 pm »
Like Rocco...Grace is the same way.  Sometimes she likes her pillow other times no no.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 02:07:32 pm »
I use block dog mats...for both Zero and Misha...you can see them in this picture...they are padded but not hot for the dogs

Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 03:13:45 pm »
If he gets hot, the blanket may be too warm for him and he purposely moves it to get to the cooler plastic tray underneath. Those vinyll pads could be the answer for you.
Stella

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 04:00:49 pm »
You could try those vented car seat cushions.  That's what my BFF used for Mask--she bought 3 at Walmart, cut them to fit the bottom of his crate, stacked/superglued them together and bound the sides with duct tape to make a pretty substantial custom mat.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 04:49:32 pm »
You could try those vented car seat cushions.  That's what my BFF used for Mask--she bought 3 at Walmart, cut them to fit the bottom of his crate, stacked/superglued them together and bound the sides with duct tape to make a pretty substantial custom mat.

where do you get those?

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 05:30:26 pm »
She got hers at Walmart, but I've seen them at most big general merchandise stores--try the automotive sections at Target, Kmart, Costco--probably you could get them at Sears, but they'd be expensive.

I bet automotive stores would have them too, but again, more $$ than Walmart.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 05:31:24 pm by NoDogNow »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 06:08:14 pm »
When we were using Zoey's crate regularly I made her a special pad for her crate. I couldn't find what I wanted, so I just made it myself. I took an egg crate made for a human bed, and cut it to the size of the crate. I had two or three layers of eggcrate. Then I wrapped the whole thing in vinyl (I used a shower curtain and attached it together on the underside). Since it was vinyl and it also had little gaps in the egg crate, it did not hold heat as much as regular beds. She liked it.
RIP former BPO

Offline Crazy4Suki

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 12:37:11 am »
On warmer days, Suki seems to prefer the cool flooring over the padded crate or carpeting.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 08:50:05 am »
thanks for the ideas... yah fumble def loves the flooring, he even sleeps in the tub cause it's so cold.  i'm even thinking if it might be better to go buy that do it yourself flooring at home depot, it isn't too expensive and do it to the bottom of his cratE! lol!  he is a piece of work, and as i imagine most other dogs on here are the kings and queens of the house!  he is sure the king of the house!  hehe
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 09:34:06 am »
Flynn sleeps on the bare wire of his crate bottom... no he's not an abused, neglected child - he likes it that way. The plastic tray the crate came with lasted 2 days and here's a list of stuff we've tried and Flynn has chewed into two inch square pieces or rolled up like a sleeping bag and slept on the bottom anyway:

Plastic floor tiles, piece of carpet, piece of vinyl flooring, towels, piece of old duvet cut to size (had great fun pulling the stuffing out), vetbed fleece (he whittled it into a realistic looking sheep pelt shape), ordinary fleece blanket, rubber backed rug put under the cage (managed to pull it through!) and stuff I'm sure I've forgotten about. Even when he's out, he prefers to sleep on the tiled kitchen floor (usually flat on his back with his legs in the air) than the carpeted from room.

I'm trying to get hold of a cow mat but I think that will go the way of all the others.