Author Topic: Toys for a big chewer....a BIG CHEWER!!!!  (Read 4030 times)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Toys for a big chewer....a BIG CHEWER!!!!
« on: November 16, 2005, 11:49:24 am »

Some dog toys say...."for the toughest chewer"....right.
I'm sure many of you would agree that your BP could work for a dog toy company testing chew toys and most toys would fail the test.

Here's our latest problem.   Daisy is chewing little bits off of toys and ingesting them.  She threw up repeatedly last night until a small piece of toy came out then the stomach settled down.   
I removed all rope toys last month due to to this issue. 
She chews through everything I've purchased (even Kongs).   
She has to have something to chew otherwise she will chew whatever is nearby...inclu ding woodwork (any tips for repairing?)       
I don't mind the toy getting destroyed.
Swallowing the pieces is the issue.

So....suggesti ons for tough, fun big chew toys for my monster chewer?

Thanks,
Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Toys for a big chewer....a BIG CHEWER!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 11:53:37 am »
What about big ole bones...I feed a raw diet but i do give bones for recreations because my male is a chewer...I dont know if you feel comfortable with that and if they injest some bone it is perfectly ok...
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 12:07:59 pm »
OH MY!!  I know exactly what you mean!  We had a husky with chewing issues.  EVERYTHING that claimed to be indestructable was not!  I often thought about suing those company for false advertisment! lol  I did what Babs said and started giving her bones to chew on.  Even the "toughest" kong only lasted an hour with her and only thing left was pieces of rubber!  Bones are good and like Babs said if they swallow the bone it shouldn't upset the tummy.

Andi

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 12:20:20 pm »
Those tough chew toys aren't all they are cracked up to be. A man who goes to our dog park almost lost his toller cross during the summer due to a kong piece becoming lodged in her bowel. She needed to have emergency surgery to have it removed. Thankfully she pulled through ok, and is back to her regular self again. And I know all about the huskies being able to chew through anything, Abbey who is only half husky could chew through steel if we let her. For this reason we do what Babs does, raw bones for chew toys. It is good for them, and keeps their teeth clean.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 12:33:32 pm »
I give all kinds of bones...if for a chewing sensation a knuckle bone does well and has nooks and crannies for the dogs to try and work their way through...

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 12:59:43 pm »
We are lucky to have a raw food nearby and I give the dogs HUGE marrow bones, raw, which they adore.  They scrape the bones, but don't get big splinters from them.   I've also requested giant bones from the butcher and they will occasionally get them.  I used to get them for free, but now have to pay for them.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 01:04:33 pm »
I go to the local grocery store and ask for the whole bone they use to cut up to be soup bones.  My dogs have yet to break off big pieces though they have some nice teeth grooves in the bones.  I also get the actual cut up soup bones but they can only have those if I am there because they are smaller than a tennis ball and I think they could choke.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 01:05:22 pm »
I cant belive that the price of marrow bones sometimes...i swear these butchers are figuring out that we feed our dogs raw and raise the prices
LOL

I cant wait for Tday to be over so the price of turkey goes down LOL

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 02:51:36 pm »

Do you give them marrow bones in the house?

How long until a bone gets thrown away? 

Any aggression over bones in multi dog homes?

"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 02:56:45 pm »
Hi,

If you want a toy, not a bone, I'd recommend a Jolly Ball. Get the biggest one. The handle is tough to chew through and the ball itself is too big for getting a good bite on.

Several of our friends  big chewer's a bouvier, a shepard, and a dane all have had the Jolly Ball survive the test of time.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 03:35:37 pm »
Nola gets knuckle bones and femur bones in the house, outside, at the bar, etc.  This means at least 2-3 hours of quiet time for the b/f and I.  Our rule of thumb is the knuckle bone or femur bones must be 1/2 the size or length of his head.  He has some femur bones lying around from a couple weeks ago.  He cleaned them out in one sitting but still gnaws on them from time to time.  I cannot answer about aggression since we only have one dog and the b/f doesn't eat red meat so they don't fight over it. 

If you dog has chewed through a Kong, he will definitely be able to chew through a Jolly Ball.  Nola was able to get the handle partly off within 1/2 hour.  I used a knife to completely remove the handle and the toy was good for one more day but under supervision.  I am trying to locate a jolly ball without the handle because the pup really liked it.  I plan to stop at the pet store tonight to try the Tire Ball.  I think if a tire can last 40,000 miles it should be able to last at least a week with the beast.

Good luck

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 03:39:37 pm »

Do you give them marrow bones in the house?

I give them the bloody big ones in their cages, once they are cleaned up a little, they can have them in the house.  I don't let them have them outside because those things will bend your mower blades and dent wood when they go flying.

How long until a bone gets thrown away? 

I let my guys keep the same ones until they break them, or they get nasty.  I put the bones in the dishwasher every couple of weeks, then boil them in any kind of broth I have left over.

Any aggression over bones in multi dog homes?

Yes, I have seen that my guys have a little more aggression over the good stuff than over their normal toys.  Just make sure you are the pack leader and nip in the bud.  I am lucky, I can usually yell 'No' and stand up and my guys stop fighting.

Thanks,

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 03:41:42 pm »
I don't know about other dogs, but Cowboy and Chester have never had a fight over bones.  They either lay right next to each other working on them or, if there is only one, Cowboy has first go since I don't worry as much about the amount of fat he gets.  Chester just lays quietly until Cowboy is finished (at least for the second!!)  Maybe there are problems with other breeds, though.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 03:51:21 pm »
I don't know about other dogs, but Cowboy and Chester have never had a fight over bones.  They either lay right next to each other working on them or, if there is only one, Cowboy has first go since I don't worry as much about the amount of fat he gets.  Chester just lays quietly until Cowboy is finished (at least for the second!!)  Maybe there are problems with other breeds, though.

Sometimes, I think my guys are still establishing pack order, since Maia is a dominant female but Rocco is older and bigger.  We have never had a bloody fight, just loud and wet.  I knew I should have gone for another male instead of a female.  Poor Maia - mommy still loves you.
Thanks,

Lyn

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 08:28:27 pm »
Ack some of your dogs have actually chewed through Kongs. Niiiicee.. Bubba is a serious chewer and I was going to buy him one since I 'thought' they were indestructable ??? I don't know if it's worth wasting $25 on it if he's going to shred it in an hour.  :-\