Author Topic: hook worms ... taken a turn for the worse...  (Read 5403 times)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
hook worms ... taken a turn for the worse...
« on: September 20, 2005, 08:34:22 am »
** she has refused to eat in almost 36 hrs (canidae, natural balance canned, peanut butter)

** last nite, 2 hrs after feeding her the de-worming pill, nikki (7 months) hurled up the horse pills + the amoxycilin + the anti-diarrheal meds from earlier in the nite. possibly overmedicated on empty stomach?

** this morn, she woke up thirsty, drank ~3 qts of water, threw up clear water 30 minutes later.

** vet recs no more water/food for 2 - 3 hrs, then feed 2 more amoxycilin caps + 1 anti-diarrheal tablet.

** vet recs if no improvement by today, off to the animal hospital for overnite observation

i'm friggin lost at work here... ditto the SO, neither of us can be home til 1pm... i hate to be a capitalist, but our budgetary constraints really prohibit an extended hospital stay. this MORBID feeling is beginning to shroud me...  :-[
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 08:40:15 am by tonyc »

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: hook worms ... taken a turn for the worse...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 08:37:45 am »
I am so sorry, maybe today she will get better.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 08:38:23 am »
Be strong Nick!I hope she can get through this.Shoot shes put up with you this long...right?We'll prayer for you.

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 08:43:02 am »
im not trying to be stupid here.....but you did try to give her rice with or without burger or chicken right?  its bland, but for some reason, still smells good to them.  when tyler was dying of cancer, the only thing he would eat from human or dog food was rice and boiled chicken. 

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 08:49:35 am »
Its not stupid, Nick-ums. Its what I always do when I've got a sick doggie. It works. Try it, Tony.

Also, have you tried canned pumpkin? Not the pumpkin pie filling, just plain ol' unsweetened canned pumpkin. Something in it is like a miracle cure for diarrhea. I fostered a Saint that had the WORST diarrhea (so bad and icky we thought she had parvo,TG she didn't). Anyway, the canned pumpkin really seemed to help. When I worked at the Humane Society, we gave all of our dogs canned pumpkin when they had the tummy woos. It really works.

One other thing, have you tried grinding up the pills into a powder, and putting it in something? I guess if she's not eating, that wouldn't work, but maybe try grinding them up and putting them in the burger and rice, if you do that.

Hope she gets better!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 08:58:39 am »
Poor thing!  Rice is a lifesaver...th at is for sure. 

Please keep us posted on how's she's doing. 

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 11:03:05 am »
This is horrible. I'll be praying for you.
Jenn :-[

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 11:10:56 am »
I am so sorry she is having such a rough time.  I second the trying the canned pumpkin or plain rice.  I know how hard it is to worry about the health of your doggy vs. your finances, but try to not to stress too much.  By tonight, things could be much better...

Please keep us updated.  I will be thinking about you guys today....
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 11:30:03 am »
Okay, I'm voting for the vet today.  It sounds like she could use some IV fluids and antibiotics to get her through this!  It's just not good to continue to worry about her while you are at work!  I know how scary it is leaving a sick dog and to know that she's being well taken care of is worth it!  It seems like she is really not feeling well at all!

Please keep us up-dated!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 11:51:32 am »
Oh My. Hope everything is better by tonight. I agree with newf. maybe the vet is your best bet right now. Hope everything works out.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 12:43:46 pm »
So sorry to hear she is not feeling well.

I know how you feel, though.  Gunther just got over kennel cough, and he didn't eat anything (other than a few mouthfulls) for almost 8 days.  I had to go out and buy nutrical to get some calories in him.  Since he couldn't smell the food b/c he was conjested, he didn't want to eat anything, even what I cooked for him.  (Keiko of course was in heaven b/c she got whatever he wouldn't eat)

Hope she feels better soon.  Sometimes it takes a few days for them to get over feeling icky.  Heck, I dont' feel like eating either when I'm sick.  But it's rough when they can't keep down the meds or water.  I would try the rice, and if she won't take that, then you might want to give the vet a call.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 01:13:07 pm »
* sigh of relief *
gf went home early to doggy sit. nikki finished a whole can of Natural Balance wet, drank a lil water, ate her amoxycilin / anti-diarreal and is now playing w/ cody.

i'm going to buy some canned pumpkin tonite to mix w/ rice, and t'row morn after her meal, we're try the deworming med again...

i'm so PO'd at my neighbors right now!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 02:12:36 pm »
* sigh of relief *
gf went home early to doggy sit. nikki finished a whole can of Natural Balance wet, drank a lil water, ate her amoxycilin / anti-diarreal and is now playing w/ cody.

i'm going to buy some canned pumpkin tonite to mix w/ rice, and t'row morn after her meal, we're try the deworming med again...

I hope Nikki continues to improve for you & you get rid of those nasty ol' worms!...I absolutely hate worms!!!...Keep us updated please. :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 03:59:33 pm »
Great news! I was getting a little scared for you for a while there. In the future if money is an issue when your baby needs vet care, ask the vet if he/she will take a series of post-dated checks to cover the balance. I've noticed most vets are very willing to work with you to get your pets proper care - the good ones are anyway. If they won't do it, call around to other vet offices and explain the situation. Don't be afraid to grovel for the health of your pets. I do it all the time!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 04:10:27 pm »
* sigh of relief *

I'm SO happy that Nikki's doing better!  I HATE having to be away from my dogs when they aren't feeling well!  What a relief!