Author Topic: Potty trained...but...  (Read 4901 times)

lins_saving_grace

Potty trained...but...
« on: May 05, 2005, 12:48:19 pm »
Grace is almost completely potty trained.  Only problem is she still has accidents in her kennell usually because she isn't instantly gratified at 5 am when she wakes up and starts whinning to get up in the mornings.  Our other dogs holds it till we get up and let them out.  But Grace...she's impatient I guess. 
A little spiteful????  A little annoying, for sure.
Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Jen

Re: Potty trained...but...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 01:04:53 pm »
Discuss with your vet a possible UTI.  Very common and easily fixed.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 01:19:49 pm »
shew...I thought it was just me.  She is such a stinker. 
I try to clean the cage a lot and I have rubbed the other dog with her bedding (and she LOVES that).  she seems so anxious about having a particular get up in the morning time and won't take no...sleep in for 10 more minutes for an answer.   
I had a thought about a possible infection like that...she has to go in to the vet soon anyway for shots so I'll make sure we talk about that.
Thanks!

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 02:26:54 pm »
my friggin puppy is the same way.  except he sleeps on my bed.  he is ALMOST potty trained, but in the morning, if i am not careful and meet his demands immediately, i am screwed.

for example, we all sleep on my bed, and he will attack my head when is is awake, and if i do not LITERALLY jump out of bed and take him directly out, he will pee on the floor and laugh at me.  i mean, i cannot yawn, i cannot stretch, i cannot roll over, i cannot pee, and i cannot brush my teeth ( i ALWAYS AM IN THE ELEVATOR WITH SOMEONE AT 5AM).....if i do any of these things, he will look at me, stick his tail out straight, start laughing, and take a long pee wherever he is.  i was smart enough to put a plastic cover over my matress and boxspring, but it still really PISSES ME OFF when he does it on my bed.  and he will man, piss him off enough, and he's like fine, on the bed it is. 

last night he woke me up in the middle of the night, and i ran to put my shoes on and take him out, and while i was putting on my shoes, he peed on my left foot.  im surprised i still have a dog this morning, i wanted to let him free after that little stunt.

there is nothing like warm pee to wake you up.

about a month ago, i was rolling around on the floor with him and cody and all the sudden my back felt a little warm, and dumb me thought his belly was on me and i was warm.....OH NO....AS SOON AS I MOVED I COULD FEEL THE WET, THE WET OF PEE, FROM A PUPPY WHO LIKES TO TICK ME OFF FOR NO REASON. 

i love him, but sometimes i just want to pee on him too.

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 02:30:48 pm »
Do you take your puppy's water away in the evening?  Just pick a time like maybe an hour before his last pee before bedtime and take his water away until morning.  Might help keep you and your home dry...lol

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 02:49:41 pm »
oh my!!! It isn't just me!!! Grace was like that until my husband gave her a good reason to NEVER pee in the house again.  She wasn't too happy about that...and I've punished her for it too.  But it is almost like they know it will bother you but they want to do it anyway.
That pee back on them might be a great training tool for teaching them not to do that. :) 
Maybe she is just like hyper and unable to retain information like DO NOT PEE IN THE HOUSE.  :)  I had a shitzu like that once...and I stress ONCE.
At any rate...I am dropping a cup o pee off at the vet tomorrow just to test it in case she does have a UTI.  can't be too careful...and she is due for her last round of shots and they won't do those if she's sick. 
Sounds like you have your hands full.  I won't feel so sorry for myself tonight as I take Grace out for the 1000 time by about 8 pm. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 02:52:18 pm »
Grace rarely drinks after 10 pm so I've always left it on the floor.  Maybe she sneeks a few galloons down anyway...but I keep an eye on her at all times.  She's locked in her kennell and can't get to the bowl during the night. 
So yes, but no.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 09:57:40 am »
Well I'm glad I called the vet.
Gracey has a lot of white blood cells in her urine and things are irritated down there.  They called it vaginitis.  She'll be on antibotics for 10 days and we'll get some baby wipes for each time we potty. 

Jen

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 11:40:43 am »
And what about those toilets!!!!!!!  We had Sasha peeing everywhere, evernight, and we had taken away water by 8pm BUT THEN....WE FOUND HE NECK DEEP IN THE TOILET!!!! ! AH HA! BUSTED!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 11:46:09 am »
Lady loves the toilet...the water must be better in there.   I bet Sasha blows bubbles too!

Grace is learning to get in there.  Her favorite place to drink is the tub.  That's where she stays out of trouble when I'm getting ready in the morning and last night while she was helping me shave...she jumped in the tub and started lapping up the water and chasing the soap.  But that was ok cuz it wasn't a bath bath for her ... she hates baths but WILL get in the tub while I'm in there.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 08:20:00 pm »
I hope the antibiotics clear up little Gracey's UTI.  Betti had an infection as well.  The poor little thing must have suffered it for a long time, since she lived in poor conditions before I rescued her.  She is so much better now.  The interesting thing to know about UTIs is that some infections are only cleared up by specific antibiotics.  Betti took meds for ten days, but the infection did not clear up, so she needed further testing to find out which antibiotic she was most sensitive to.  After giving her the $60 pills, it ended up being the $15 pills that actually solved the problem.  Actually, she had to go on a special prescription wet food diet for a couple of months and then graduate to dry food prescription and now is back to a regular diet.  The UTIs can be very painful for dogs and they have no way to tell us, so we must be very, very observant.  It may only be as simple as wetting in the house and we may not even realize the pup is not doing it on purpose or being stubborn.   ;)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 08:23:56 pm »
In addition, for informational purposes I should add that Betti's UTI was the result of E-coli.  The E-coli transferred to her urinary tract from an anal gland infection she had when I first brought her home.  The first antibiotics, to clear up the anal gland infection, did not effectively clear up the UTI.  Her system had been broken down by malnutrition, which allowed a myriad of infections to manifest themselves everywhere from her anal glands to her inner ear cavities.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 08:25:19 pm »
Please note that, according to Betti's veterinarian, the E-coli was not infectious to humans nor dangerous to our other pets.