Author Topic: Lucy's Toenails..................  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Lucy's Toenails..................
« on: November 17, 2005, 02:59:26 am »
Lucy's doing pretty well lately, gained a couple pounds (many thanks to those that helped out on the satin balls).  I have another question...is anyone familiar with toenails that break off to the quick?  One of Lucy's back paws is continually breaking toenails.  They bleed, are very painfull, and are very slow to heal.  The vet thought perhaps a fungal infection and last year the antifungal cream worked well but, this year it has not helped.  We have started with Tea tree oil.  Any suggestions?  Any doggie sandles available?
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy's Toenails..................
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 04:12:44 pm »
You know, there are pills that people take for fungal infections.  A co-worker of mine almost lost some of his toenails because of one of these, and they gave him a pill, rather than all those creams.

Maybe one would work for Lucy?

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 08:16:50 pm »
I'll get some recent Lucy pics up soon, and a few of the warehouse thats been keeping us so busy lately........ ..

Guess we'll try bringing the epsom salt-tea tree oil soaks up to a daily routine, this is going to be popular. Lucy likes having her foot in a soaking bath just a little better than "the dreaded cone".

I'll also check in with the local feed stores about "hoof conditioner", and we'll try sanding instead of clipping net time. Not sure I can get close with a dremel, Lucy's become very skittish about noises, but we'll figure something out.

Thanks much,

Gene
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 09:41:20 pm »
I don't have any great advice on how to treat her nails, but I wanted to say that I'm glad to hear she has put on some weight :)
RIP former BPO