Author Topic: Anyone live near Lancaster PA?  (Read 7115 times)

Offline Wolfies

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Anyone live near Lancaster PA?
« on: November 17, 2005, 09:27:59 am »
Hello everyone, I am in the process of moving from Atlanta GA to the Lancaster PA area. I am owned by 7 dogs. 2 Irish Wolfhounds, 2 Saint Bernards, 2 Lab Mixes and 1 Bassett/Shepherd mix. I am looking to buy a house. If I can't find one soon I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that would rent to me for 2-3months. I know most people would never even consider renting to someone with 7 dogs especially 4 giant breeds, but if any of you know of anyone renting or selling please let me know.
Also, does anyone know if they have laws there about the number of dogs a person can own?
Thanks
Lisa Peachey

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone live near Lancaster PA?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 01:34:27 pm »
Hi,

My brother lives in Mount Joy near Lancaster, I'll email him and pm you back this weekend. Beautiful area up there! My parents used to have a ranch house on 5 acres with a stream and lots of wild ducks. So hope you can find something similar. That is Amish country, so at least on the outskirts and the more rural areas you should not have a problem with any number of dogs.

Best wishes on a successful move/relocation. We are doing it soon ourselves, Texas to Sw GA/SE AL. I'd better get off the computer before my hubby finds out I've been playing and not home schooling the children...big trouble then.

I'll be in touch.

Deena

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 03:04:28 pm »
I'll grab a paper while I'm there this weekend and see what I can find for you.
Jenn

Offline Wolfies

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 06:07:47 pm »
Thanks, I really appreciate any help. I have been trying to call all the townships to see if they have dog restrictions. I was surprised at how many have a 2 - 4 dog limit for any dog over 6 months old. My wolfies are 11 months old now, don't see hwo I could pass them off as puppies at this point :)

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 06:31:21 pm »
Hey we can tell if the dog park there is worth going to when you get there, that is where we are meeting tomorrow. You can even see pictures. I'll be back sometime on Sunday.
Jenn

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 06:47:13 pm »
You know why the restrictions are probably in place?

Puppy mills.  They're trying to get out from under their reputation as a puppy milling state. 

Some jurisdictions have special permits that you can get, particularly if your dogs are already altered.   

Your real estate agent should be up to date on this kind of stuff--that's what you're paying him/her for!

Find a great place, though--somewhere with lots of deer for your wolfies to chase!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline babs2Sully

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 09:55:54 am »
I live more than an hour away from Lancaster... but have visited there often..
I don't know of their dog limitations but I'm sure the more rural areas wouldn't have any restrictions.. .
Shame you couldn't pop in for Jenn's GTG today. (I'll be missing it because of a family obligation  :( )
I'ts a wonderful area of PA... there is civilization yet some beautiful country..
Good luck with your move..and hopefully we canall get together when you get here.. I have one IW and soon will have another..
7 large breeds!!  Wow.. We have Sullivan, two Cairn Terriers, my daughter's teacup chihuahua... and soon another IW..
There are regulations about dogs in my area.. but as long as your pups aren't trouble, most don't come into play..

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 11:31:24 am »
Hi,

I spoke with my brother, he said that there is no shortage of property in the area for sale. There is a 16 acre working vineyard down the road and another 2 acre farm near by him for sale. He also said that alot of new developments were going up, but they grandfather in all the time. For example, a 2 acre farm with donkey, goats, chickens, and many cats next to a new development with restrictions. He said you will need to live rural and work with a realtor, but should have no problems. He said for example 2000 sq ft. on 1/2 acre is about 250K, 4000+ sq ft on 1.5 acres is about 650k. If you do not want to go the realtor route. You need to go up there, look in the paper, go talk to the locals at feed stores, tractor sales etc. lots of sales in the country are word of mouth.

He also has a friend who does rescue, dobermans in town. If you would like to speak with them, I can put you in touch. 

Best wishes hope to see you on BPO more in the future.

Deena

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 11:50:24 am »
Hi Lisa,
I thought I had picked up a lancaster paper but it ended up being a Lebandon instead. I will tell the dog park is great, and all the locals that were there we so freindly. Sorry I messed up. But I do hope you come to the spring get together.