Author Topic: You've probably heard this before....  (Read 4147 times)

cricket36580

You've probably heard this before....
« on: November 13, 2005, 08:32:07 pm »
Foster is a 1 1/2 yr old dane that we got out of rescue.  For the first few weeks everything was ok...or at least nothing totally bizarre.  We were told that he had been returned to the rescue once before because he had no idea what personal space was and he would not housebreak.  Also, they knew there had been abuse in the background but weren't really sure what is consisted of.  Well, after the first few weeks and Fos got more comfy...he's decided that my hubby is evil incarnate.  He goes ape when Roy drives up, when he walks into the room, anything.  If DH is sitting Fos is fine...until DH moves or gets up.  He went with me to the festival this weekend and he barked at anyone coming up from behind our tent but the men and the men with beards REALLY got it.  Its becoming an issue here.  DH is feeling like an ogre and has never done anything to this dog beyond saying a firm "no" to something....Y es, I'm sure.  DH has started taking him with him everywhere on a lead and basically spenidng every moment with him that it's plausible to spend.  Any solutions?  Ideas?  Anything?

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: You've probably heard this before....
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 08:36:33 pm »
Hi Cricket, I am sure some here will have great ideas for you.  I just wanted to say a quick welcome.  Your Danes are so great looking.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 08:48:40 pm »
From what I've learned from others here, one of the suggestions is to have your husband feed him....hand feed if at all possible and to give him as much positive encouragement and treats as possible for any improvement at all.  Since his issue isn't with you, stand back when your husband is at home and let Foster learn that this is a 'good' man.  Maybe from there, he can learn about all the other good men in the world.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 09:03:56 pm »
I agree.  Have him feed him, hand feed him if possible.  It sounds like he is already trying to spend as much time as possible with Foster, which is an excellent start and the right move.  I might suggest also having DH carry treats around with him and randomly give them out throughout the day.  Try having him start basic training with him on weekends, even if just doing a refresher course.  It will help to strengthen the bond b/t himi and hopefully he will learn that not all men are evil.

If possible, I would also try having other men offer him treats, such as a brother or friend to help reinforce the "men are good" thing.  Or when and if he goes up to a man friendly like, give him a treat.  I hope he is food oriented, or it makes it a bit more difficult, although still managable.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 12:39:26 am »
I just want to say....
YOU GUYS ARE SO SMART!!!  (and helpful!) ;D
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 09:37:19 pm »
Definitely go with the treats and feeding.  I'd also suggest very gentle, friendly play between your husband and Foster with a favorite toy if he's willing to engage.  If the abuse was by a man, it could be hard to overcome, but if you are consistent, gentle and patient you should be able to do so.  If you and your husband  or anyone else are not in any physical danger, make a strong effort not to react to the negative behavior at all.  His agression will feed off of any strong reaction.  It would also help if Foster sees you as alpha, at least where the 'pack' is concerned.  If he sees this and he senses your approval of your husband's presence then it should help him to accept him also.  I hope  some of this is helpful.   Good luck and keep us updated....
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 10:08:49 pm »
I agree with what everybody has said. It sounds like poor foster has been abused by a man witha beard if that's what really sends him ape. There is hope as my shar-pei used to be terrified of men. I have a suspicion that her first owner hit her with his walking stick as she was very fearful and aggressive towards fat met with walking sticks. She was also never socialized and their other dogs picked on her. But with lots of positive, gentle encouragement, she came around to the stage where she loves people and licks my cousin to death when he visits.

I would suggest that your husband becomes Foster's main care, food, training and affection giver for a while. Really cool off your own relationship with Foster - try to be indifferent towards him even when your husband isn't there. This way he will hopefully emotionally attach himself to your husband and learn that men can be nice and are no threat. I know it sounds harsh and will break your heart to do this at first, but once he's on a more even keel you can gradually get back to being affectionate with him yourself. It will probably only take a few weeks and get quicker results than  if you carry on your normal interraction with him.

cricket36580

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 09:59:56 am »
Update!!!  DH has been "dragging" poor Fos around with him everywhere for the last several days.  While Fos has been in the house, I've basically ignored him and let DH do all the lovin' and stuff.  Well, he's getting better.  Yesterday he growled at dh a couple of times and barked a couple of time but will now go up to him and "ask" to get petted and will walk with him and actually look at him.  These are baby steps but they are SO HUGE!  It's been a fairly peaceful week so far.  If you've ever had a Dane "go off" right under you for no apperant reason, you know how that will literally stop your heart.  DH can now get up in the night without Fos going ballistic...he can come in the house...he can walk into the yard...All without fanfare.  YYYYIIIIPPPEEE E!!! 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 10:02:17 am »
That is a lot of baby steps for just a few days.  Sounds like your DH is on his way to having a Daddy's boy!
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 05:40:45 pm »
That's great news!!  Sounds like you are making fast progress.  Keep it up, and I'm sure in no time they will be the best of friends.   :)

Good luck.

henrysmomma

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 05:42:49 pm »
That's good news, I hope things continue to improve. ;D

Rose