Author Topic: How do I stop countor surfing  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Titansmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
How do I stop countor surfing
« on: November 17, 2005, 04:34:11 pm »
OK I thought Titan was to good ha ha.
 I have not been able to catch him but have determined he is stealing food from the kitchen table and counters. I need to get him to stop be for his daddy catches him or Titan will be in big trouble. The problem with this is I have a 2 year old so the mouse trap thing or things like that are to dangerous for me to try,  also he doesn't do it right in front of me so it makes it hard to just leave a leash on and give a correction. I am at a loss for ideas and knew someone here must have a solution. I hope.
Thank you for any advise
Brandi

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: How do I stop countor surfing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 04:55:16 pm »
Do what I do and train yourself and your family not to leave food out on the counter.
Rocco will get up and check things out when he thinks I can't see him but no as much as before since now there is never anything up there to get.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 04:55:52 pm »
Brandi, do you think something like a shake can would work?
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 04:57:02 pm »
Don't ever let him eat unless you say he can.  Make him "leave it" until you say "OK".  It will transfer over to these situations, so that eventually if you leave the room, all you have to do is say "Leave it" to him and he will.  When you do catch him, let him have it!!!  I don't mean hit him, but give him a "NO!!! BAD DOG!!!" he'll never forget.   >:(  And on the flip side, give him tons of praise when he leaves a tempting morsel alone.  Gotta work with him, hopefully it's not too late.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 05:03:20 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 04:57:48 pm »
We got some of those motion detectors from Radio Shack.  Plugged them up right by the counter.  Hobo is the WORST with the counter stealing.  The other day he was STANDING on the counter eating cookies.  The motion detectors worked well till the batteries died. :P
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Titansmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 05:04:18 pm »
Thank you for your suggestions. the problem with the shaker can would be if my little girl got a hold of it then it would desensitizes him. She is also the reason that most of anything is on the table or counters.
It shouldn't be to late to train him out of it as it has just started because he is now tall enough to see what he wants (I think).
Maybe I will try to set him up once she is in bed and see what I can get to work.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 05:05:10 pm »
I would completely clear the the counters for a couple of days of everything including my small appliances and bait them with stuff that's pre-sprayed with bitter apple, hot peppers or some other aversion flavored thing that he'll dislike.  Then slowly put things back, just a couple of things at a time, spraying each one as you go--spray toaster, spray the bread box, etc.  It shouldn't take long. 

Karen taught her cats not to graze the counters with hot pepper spray; if a cat will learn by this method, a dog should pick it up in NO time! 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 06:01:54 pm »
I set the dog up for failure...I would bait all the areas that food may be left and leash the dog to the prong their prong collar (which I use for walks or corrections.  I let them drag the leash into the kitchen where the food is left and watch and the second their mouth goes to eat the food I give a correction with a firm NO when the stop immed praise.  They can sniff all the want it is when they go to eat that I give the corrections

You can also bait some stuff in some spicy sauce and bait it with a hotdog or something and leave it on the edge of the counter so when they go to take it, they get a yucky taste

My two dogs will bark and sing at food if it smells yummy enough but they will never get close enough to eat it

Both my dog eat raw and I can leave all their food out to thaw at their reach and go for 8 hours and neither one of them will touch it
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka