Author Topic: Snow nose(loss of pigmentation in dogs nose) just found this article it's neat  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
And now I know why my dogs noses are now brown and not black, makes sense since we only have 7 hrs of sunlight now.( yeah it really sucks)

Nina

SNOW NOSE 
Technically called "hypopigmentati on" (or snow nose, winter nose) it results from loss of sunlight, and causes the nose to fade to brown in winter; normal colour returns as summer approaches. Snow nose occurs mainly in light-coated breeds; the colour change can become permanent in older dogs. It is not associated with disease.

Another reason for this condition is a deficiency of B vitamins, PABA in particular.

Get rid of plastic food bowls and replace them with metal or ceramic bowls since some pets may be allergic to plastic. Plastic dish dermatitis can occur if the dog eats or drinks out of plastic or rubber bowls. It is triggered by a reaction to an antioxidant found in the dishes.

Vitaligo causes black depigmentation in the nose and sometimes the lips to fade to brown.

PABA

PABA is the shortened name for para-aminobenzoic acid that is often thought of as only an ingredient used in sunscreens, while it is in actual fact a nutritional ingredient as well. Since it is a moiety of PGA, a form of folic acid, some health professionals do not consider it a vitamin, but only a B-complex factor.

PABA is used to improve the protein used in the body, it relates to red blood cell formation as well as assisting the manufacture of folic acid in the intestines. Para-aminobenzoic acid is used in sunscreen preparations since it can help protect the skin against ultra-violet radiation.

It has been linked to hair growth as well as reversing the greying of hair, but these results are disappointing. People suffering from vitiligo, over-pigmentation of skin, or without pigment in some spots, have reported an improvement of the skin after more PABA was ingested.

Best used with Vitamin C and the B group vitamins, plus Folic Acid are best taken with PABA.

PABA is found in liver, kidney, brewer's yeast, molasses, whole grains, bran, yoghurt, mushrooms and spinach, and can be made by intestinal bacteria.

SNOW NOSE "REMEDY"

Another suggested "remedy" is:

B Complex With Choline, Inositol & PABA

Vitamin C, Calcium Ascorbate powder

Megamino Amino Acids

The Vitamin C works together with the B to help absorption. Give just before meals. One B Complex tablet in the AM and one in the PM. The Vitamin C is given by body weight. ½ tsp. for each 50lbs of weight. The Amino Acid tablet is given in the AM only.

Vitamins B and C are water soluble and once the body has absorbed what it needs, it will eliminate the rest. These vitamins are not stored in the body. They are also helpful with stress (for you too) and for the skin in general. In case you don't know it, the B vitamins that brighten our dogs' coats and darken their pigments work on us too. The B vitamins are necessary for our skin and for our hair colour. If your hair is prematurely grey, it may be a simple Vitamin B deficiency. There are documented cases where grey hair turned back to its natural colour after supplementing with the B complex vitamins.

It is very probable that the success you will have in returning your dog's pigment back to black will be directly related to the diet you feed - in addition to the above supplementatio n.

Good luck! I hope this is of value to you.

Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Wow!  That is very interesting.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
yeah my brother lives in the North West Territories, they only have one hour of sunlight, I am going to ask him if his danes nose gets lighter. But I am also going to call my vet to make sure my 2 are OK and it is not something else. Better safe than sorry right?  :)

I am also going to try that vitamine B thing for myself, wonder if it will get rid of my few gray hairs that I have. LOL. Hey taking vitamine D got rid of my seasonal depression(from lack of sunlight). Worth a try huh?

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
only an hour of sunlight....  man...  I do not think I could deal with that..  Definitely try the vitamins,  I don't see how it could hurt anything   :D
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
only an hour of sunlight....  man...  I do not think I could deal with that.. 

I don't think I would have a problem, Jerry is always coming home and telling me the house is too dark and then we go outside and James has his hands over his eyes asking for his sun glasses. In fact I have been known to where my sun glasses even when it is cloudy.

chaosndestruction

a lot of huskies have snow noses! Tikaani our husky/shepard has a permanent "snow nose" black at the side and pink in the middle...while Arisha our husky/malamute has a seasonal one...it's black all summer long but fades to black at the side and pinkish brown in the middle in the winter...it happened for the first time last year and I thought it was sooo adorable.