Author Topic: Are Pigs Ears Alright for BIG PAW Puppy?  (Read 7333 times)

k2campbell

Are Pigs Ears Alright for BIG PAW Puppy?
« on: November 18, 2005, 11:51:09 am »
When we first brought Kate home, a neighbour gave us a gift of a big bag full of pigs' ears.  I've been saving them since, would it be alright to give Kate one now?  She's 19 wks...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Are Pigs Ears Alright for BIG PAW Puppy?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 12:09:29 pm »
Personally I don't like pig ears.  First on the basis I think they're disgusting.  The edges get mushy and dog hair gets stuck to them and they get stuck to the carpet.  GROSSSS.  Secondly alot of very lenient dogs can become obsessive and nasty about pig ears.  Just my personal opinion.  :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

k2campbell

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 12:25:49 pm »
Thanks Anky  ;)  Ya, I think they're nasty too, but I have this big bag here, thought I might as well use them up.  Was going to give them to Kate in the yard - so they don't get all gross in the house - but maybe I'll just pass them off to a friend.

Thanks for your opinion!

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 01:41:08 pm »
they never got gross with shakes because he ate them too fast! so fast that he had a mild choking incident.  he coughed it right up but we stopped giving them to him.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 02:13:48 pm »
I give them to my dogs and never had an issue...I am not grossed out by them because i feed raw and when you feed raw you've seen it all LOL

They are high in fat so dont feed them daily but I have never had an issue with them...

If you question the runs, just give the dog its first on a day you are going to be home so you can monitor the pup and if the pup gets the runs, a table soom of canned pumpkin will firm your dog up
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 03:59:10 pm »
Nothing grosses me out after 14 years of human nursing, so that is never a factor here. But giving my three dogs pigs ears or any highly desireable ingestible requires a split up of bodies, or they will fight, and ugly too. The only digestion problem mine have is with cows hooves, so pigs ears, bully sticks, and pigs snout (not for the squeamish) are all on the menu here. Try it under supervised conditions, that is the only way you'll find out.
Stella

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 04:21:26 pm »
I just love your mantle great dane!  So far both my dogs eat their food or toys with no issues...finge rs crossed...

i used to throw 4 or 5 of anything diserable into the yard or rug so there wasnt as much resource guarding and did it quite frequently at first so it wasnt as much as a novelty..

right now i threw a rack of ribs into the yard and both dogs are totally fine...thank god

NOW, my sisters two dogs Boston Terrier and Schipperke forget about it, they will kill each other LOL
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 06:09:39 pm by BabsT »
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 04:39:53 pm »
Our breeder told us to use Pigs ears to help with the nipping and the bitting, but now that Fumble has gotten bigger he goes through a pigs ear in 20 minutes tops! and they also give him terrible gas! he clears a room and leaves himself it smells so bad!  :) we usually just give him one when he's really hyper and were eating!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 04:48:58 pm »
We don't like them no good for there tummy's for the nippy,u should buy a large bone from your butcher,boiler it, then cook in oven 400, for hour, let cool in,! then u have a good bone i would give it to him for a treat when u are home, great for the teeth, should be 4,oo$ cheep!! when she come's to u to bite tap her nose!molly maggie!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 04:50:10 pm »
Bear will eat them for about 2 minutes and then he is done. He really likes to hide them though.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 05:03:51 pm »
All 6 of my furkids love them. I have not had a problem with pig ears. They only get them about once a month. Dozer is done with his in about 10 minutes. All the others take their time.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 06:34:21 pm »
Zoey loves pigs ears and we have never had a problem with them. I just wouldn't give them too much - deffinately no more than one or two in a week.
RIP former BPO

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 07:39:17 pm »
My pack loves pig ears; however, like with bones they can cause issues, mostly with Scooter.  We give them as a special treat after getting their nails (about every 10 days). 

Icerotti

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 08:06:35 pm »
Puck does not like them. He carries it around for a while. Farley has never got one. Katie use to love them.
Good idea to give outside. I find them stinky and yucky gooby skids on the carpet ::)

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 08:28:33 pm »
Ladybug loves them, Dazy wants nothing to do with them.