Author Topic: dog booties  (Read 6063 times)

Offline elsonthenewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
dog booties
« on: November 18, 2005, 12:58:51 pm »
I have a Newfoundland and I'm looking for a way to keep his paws from clotting with ice/snow in the winter as we explore in the woods. Do you have any advice as to booties (I am happy to make my own, or possibly buy them) for snowy conditions? Thanks.

Kiahpyr

Re: dog booties
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 01:04:49 pm »
I was going to make the same post. I would like a pair for Kiah also. Thanks!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 01:05:12 pm »
We have Muttlucks for our English Setter.  She always rips her feet up on the ice.  They have really hardy soles.  They make cheaper ones (Like for dog sledders) but they have to be replaced often.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 06:06:38 pm »
I have never tried dog booties, but I use a small pair of rountipped grooming scissors to trim all of the fur under her paws, and it really helps keep the snow from sticking. I still have to check them when she come in, but it really helps cut down the snow when it doesn't have as much to stick to.
RIP former BPO

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 08:09:12 pm »
I still have not found a pair for Puck. I am almost giving up :'(

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 08:31:00 pm »
I have never tried dog booties, but I use a small pair of rountipped grooming scissors to trim all of the fur under her paws, and it really helps keep the snow from sticking. I still have to check them when she come in, but it really helps cut down the snow when it doesn't have as much to stick to.

Dazy hasn't experienced snow yet, but I do the same thing you do.  It helps even with mud and just general stuff that would stick to the hair.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 05:37:45 pm »
Cool! Thanks Melissa I have to measure Kiah's feet to see if they will even fit. I'm more worried about the double dew claws. I guess it's worth a try.

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 11:19:06 pm »
Have you guys ever tried Mushers wax?  We live in NYC (Manhattan) so they suggest it out here if you're not going the boots way.  It's supposed to protect against salted sidewalks too.

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 11:20:44 am »
You guys have GOT to check out Gooby booties at Bowsa Wowsa......... . They are waaay cool!!  But pricey! They would be awesome at packed snow...no sure about deep snow.  My pup is really having trouble with snow packing in her paws too....to the point of bleeding the last time.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 01:44:25 pm »
I picked up cheap ones from Jeffers just to try them. I haven't used them outside yet, thier quilted & have a no skid pad on the bottom...so since Kiya is still a little out of it from the meds, I put them on her to help keep her from sliding on the floor. It does help but she sounds like some sick little old lady wearing slippers & dragging her feet on the floor...its just too funny but so sad for my girl.
Carolyn
Carolyn