Author Topic: What traits do you like most/least about Newfoundland's?  (Read 14613 times)

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
What traits do you like most/least about Newfoundland's?
« on: November 20, 2005, 03:32:41 pm »
Hello All,
        I normally just stick to the mastiff discussions, but a friend (in the mistaken belief that I know EVERYTHING about big dogs) asked me about Newf's. His goal is to have a very large water dog. I don't think that AM's, OEM's, Bullmastiffs etc... fit the bill, but Newf's seem about right with me. He has 2 small children (5 and 7) so they need to be good with kids as well. I have never met a Newf so I can't really make a personal comment. Would you all be kind enough to tell me what you like most.least about Newfs?

Thanks,
Matthew and Goliath

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: What traits do you like most/least about Newfoundland's?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 03:47:12 pm »
Like Melissa said, Bava gets VERY upset if he thinks that he has hurt you.  He really gets his feelings hurt, and you feel bad for him.  He will play rough, when you let him, but knows when to stop.  For a rambunctios 7month old, he is a very sweet dog.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 04:02:45 pm »
Like best: 

There is truly not a sweeter breed, as a whole, anyplace.  They just want to love you and be with you.  They adore kids...big ones and tiny ones!  They truly listen to you and try to understand what it's going to take to make you happy.  It is true that they have to stop and think about a command, but I think it's just trying to get the message back to the body part that has to do the work! :D   Most Newfs, I've found are almost human-like in their gaze.  They make eye-contact and hold it and are not threatened by humans.  They just wanna be friends!

Like least:

As Melissakins said, their health issues are the pits.  It's difficult to get a healthy one.  I think many breeders are breeding for things that I, personally don't think are that important:  size, head shape, dry mouth.  To me, health is everything!  Also if you are house-proud, fergittabout it!!!  There's going to be hair (tumbleweeds!) everyplace AND drool AND water if they have access to their water bowl.  And don't be clothes proud!  They have to say 'hi' and make sure you are well loved both coming and going so there is going to be drool marks on your thighs no matter what!   ;D I guess I feel the trade-off is worth it! 

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 07:04:13 pm »
The things I like the best are that they love to be with their people.  Not a dog to be kept all day in the back yard and never seen x feeding time.  They like to be WITH you, whether you are sleeping, reading or doing yard work.  They are so gently for their size. There is grooming involved, but it is fairly easy if kept up with.  They have personality... . great personality! They are companions, they are family.  My first newf literally raised my 4 kids as much as if we had hired a nanny.
The only think I don't like is the inceased vet bills and getting them in/out of cars.  (but we just got a car that would fit!)
Karen

Offline Bearied Treasure

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 07:14:39 pm »
How DO you get them in and out of a pickup truck (back with the cap on, of course)???  I lift my other big guy, or use a step-kind-of-thing (it's actually a deck-size rubbermaid container, but he can step up on that and then into the truck).  But a Newf is going to be bigger and heavier, so any suggestions re how they get in and out of the back of a truck?

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 07:52:06 pm »
MOST LIKE: The fact that they are a big, fluffy loveable dog on the outside and human on the inside.  Newfs are so intellingent and so freaking in tune with their human counterparts and that makes a lot of things easier.  Their ability to bristle and stand ready when a strange man approaches contrasted with their sense to soften and be really gentle when an infant is near them is as amazing as it is comforting.  Also, there's nothing like having a big fuzzy Newf to greet you when you get home. ;D  Oh yeah, walking down the street with what I call a "celebrity on a leash", is a lot of fun.  It's great talking to people about Newfs, although it can be annoying at times, and most people leave their Newf interaction, even if they just see one walking down the street, with a big smile on their face.  Free therapy for everyone!!!

LEAST LIKE:  Not that I'm bragging, but we are very lucky to have an extrememly healthy Newf.  Our vet tells us that many of his Newf patients are a mess. :(  So I understand why many of you listed health/genetic problems as a dislike.  It may be a Drake specific problem, but Drake can be very stingy with his affections.  He kisses and exposes his belly for strangers, yet will be very stand-offish with us.  Another thing is the expensive grooming bills.  If we want it done right, it's about $125 every 3-4 months.  Probably the biggest problems with Newfs is their upkeep, they trash the house, they get dirty and stinky very quickly, washing them is very time consuming, they shake drool at the worst times possible and you are constantly fighting ear infections due to moisture.  But that's just what comes with them.  If you like having a nice clean dog, get ready to work or this might not be the dog for you.  Hope this helps!

Bearied Treasure, you need to get a dog ramp like this one.  We use this very ramp for getting Drake in and out of our Suburban.  It folds up and doesn't take up a lot of space.  They aren't cheap, but it is one of the best things you can buy for your big dog.  Check the link below:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441775934&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032885&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1132617168220#belowFold
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 07:58:31 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 10:49:35 pm »
Like Most: Personality and affection! Newfs are so sweet and gentle. They always seem to think of you first. Bear wiggles and waggles so much when we get home. He gives kisses and hugs and is sooo happy with tail wags until he feel we have greeted him enough.  ;D He would never hurt a fly and hates to get in to trouble. He lives to please us and has learned his commands very quickly. He flew threw 3 levels of obedience training and just passed his therapy dog test and canine good citizen test too. He is a pleasure to be around and never fails to bring a huge smile to my face. He is kind to all dogs, big and small, and when placed in a confrontationa l situation with a dog would rather walk away than fight or growl back. He is super protective of me when he senses danger. He postures and places himself between the stranger and myself until he knows the bad person has gone. He loves children and when my little cousin came swimming this summer (he's 5) Bear was on alert the entire time. He never took his eyes off of the child until he was sure that he was safe. He would even give him kisses everytime he came to the edge of the pool.

Like Least: Drool and hair! The drool gets on everything- the floor, walls, ceiling, furniture, and our clothes. When he is shedding there is enough hair to make a full scale replica of himself. ;D 
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 10:36:39 am »
I had heard about the genetic problems. but I had hoped that these issues had been (pretty much) resolved. I would say that is a serious debit against the Newfs (I have been reading up as well). I had also heard about the loving personalities and I am glad to see that everyone here seems to agree about their friendlyness. I think that the health problems will disqualify this breed from consideration, its a shame.

I appreciate all of your input and please give all your babies a big hug from me and Goliath.

Thanks,
Matthew

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 10:44:14 am »
Unfortunately, I think the health problems are getting worse  :'( :'( :-\.. Some people are breeding for a certain type with soundness a second consideration.  This type (which I won't mention) is the type that wins shows, so that is what you have to aim for if you want your dog to get their champion. 
It stinks... because newfs are hands-down the best dogs in the world
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:45:01 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 10:44:33 am »
I think a Newf would be good as long as your friend got it from a reputal(sp?) breeder. Most of the large/giant breeds can have hip/joint problems. You could try a great pyrenees. They do shed, great with kids, are very protective of their family and are independent thinkers. They are known to be cat like. I got Kiah from a breeder who has breed pyrenees for almost 20 years and she hasn't had any health problems. She has a lifetime guarentee and will take Kiah back if I'm ever unable to properly care for her. That's the things that matter.

Offline lovemynewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 06:33:23 pm »
Reputable breeders are great and very desirable, but you can't always win with genetics unfortunately.

I couldn't agree more! Josh, the Newf that won at Westminster a couple of years ago, is from an awesome breeder (one of the top in the world) and he has severe hip dysplasia and needs injections to allow him to walk. So, you just never know!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 07:32:41 pm »
Unfortunately, I think the health problems are getting worse  :'( :'( :-\.. Some people are breeding for a certain type with soundness a second consideration.  This type (which I won't mention) is the type that wins shows, so that is what you have to aim for if you want your dog to get their champion. 
It stinks... because newfs are hands-down the best dogs in the world

Are you talking about Pouch Cove Newfs?  Probably, you have to admit though, they are good looking dogs.  Drake has some Pouch Cove lineage and so far so good.  Good hips, elbows, joints, heart, skin and no cherry eyes, but he does have the Newf irritable stomach.  We'll take that over the other stuff.  Gosh, I didn't know so many people were having problems with their Newfs.  I've said this time and time again, you gotta do your homework and don't just take the first Newf pup that is available for you.  We did and it really paid off.  Another thing people need to remember is the old addage, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.  It is really neat to have a 180 lb. dog, but they traditionally just don't live as long as smaller dogs.  I saw a 210 lb. Mastiff once when I was up in Tahoe, he was only 4 years old and he could barely walk.  I cried my freaking eyes out!!! :'(  Thankfully Drake is "only" 130 lbs. but we really try not to give him too many treats so he stays lean.  His good hips and elbows are a blessing and we don't want to negate that fact by fattening him up. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 07:41:52 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 07:45:54 pm »
I couldn't agree more! Josh, the Newf that won at Westminster a couple of years ago, is from an awesome breeder (one of the top in the world) and he has severe hip dysplasia and needs injections to allow him to walk. So, you just never know!

....and the bred him many times and most of his pups have pretty severe problems as well.  You gotta do your homework with Newfs just like any other breed!!!  Chester, knock on wood, fingers and paws crossed,  is completely healthy:  full of energy, happy, moves well, swims well has all the Newf instincts.  It only took us four trys!!! ;D

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 09:01:40 pm »
Quote from: newflvr
....and the bred him many times and most of his pups have pretty severe problems as well.  You gotta do your homework with Newfs just like any other breed!!!  Chester, knock on wood, fingers and paws crossed,  is completely healthy:  full of energy, happy, moves well, swims well has all the Newf instincts.  It only took us four trys!!! ;D

Awesome! But I think 1 bad try is gonna break me.. we tend to invest a lot emotionally, and dang, to me the most important thing is a healthy animal, that's all I want.  I don't want a member of my family to have a shorter or more painful life so he has a certain head shape, coat, or whatever people might breed for... just gimme health :) 

We lost both our senior dogs last year (zima-12 lab) and (casey-15 sheltie) and they had all the problems that go with old age and then some :) So we just want healthy right now, that was rough.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 09:27:51 pm »
....well I'm dumb. 

We lost our first two Newfs last year at only three years old.  Otis, from orthopedic problems and Lucille from ITP (immune mediated thrombocytopen ia...from immunizations :'().  You can only imagine how many tears were shed...and then to have Cowboy seizing on top of all that was really way beyond belief.  The number of breeders I spoke to, The Newf Club of America, vets, they all must of thought I had a screw loose (well, maybe ::)) The ER vet who takes care of Cowboy actually started calling breeders as well and gave them the third degree.  As I said, so far so good with Chester!!!!   YIPPEE !!  and Cowboy is doing great as well!!! :D :D :D :D :D