Author Topic: What traits do you like most/least about Newfoundland's?  (Read 14618 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Re: What traits do you like most/least about Newfoundland's?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 10:24:50 pm »
I had heard about the genetic problems. but I had hoped that these issues had been (pretty much) resolved. I would say that is a serious debit against the Newfs (I have been reading up as well). I had also heard about the loving personalities and I am glad to see that everyone here seems to agree about their friendlyness. I think that the health problems will disqualify this breed from consideration, its a shame.

You know, I think this sucks and I'm P.O.'d!!    >:( I think some of you Newf people played up the health problems a bit too much, shame on you!  Matthew, you are entitled to have whatever dog you want, but let me tell you, I have seen more perfectly healthy and happy Newfs than I have seen crippled sick ones.  Sure you should be aware of breed specific health issues, but don't let that scare you away.  EVERY purebred has it's problems, that's just the way it goes.  I would hate to think that someone would miss out on the joy of owning a Newfoundland because other Newf owners dwelled on negative issues.  People, before you got your first Newf, when you asked breeders about them did they sit and dwell on how sickly and problematic the breed was?  NO!  of course not.  Not that they were hiding anything, but that's not how you go about promoting a wonderful breed.  Newfs are hearty, strong and vital dogs and that's the picture I like to paint of them.  Think about it folks, sorry to go off, but that's how I feel....
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 12:33:15 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 11:42:21 pm »
Please don't take any of this as being against Newf's. I am just trying to help my friend who wants an XL size water-dog (he lives on the beach here in Ft. Lauderdale). I have done quite bit of research and the health issues are hard to ignore, however I just wanted to here the good and bad from the owners. It is one of the things I love about this board.

I don't want to cause dissension about anyone's favorite breed ..... I'd love to meet a Newf, but I am trying to give my friend a good overall view of several different breeds.

BTW - Mastiffs have several common health issues as well, but you could never convince me to get any other dog for myself ..... we all love our babies!

Matthew and Goliath

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 12:08:52 am »

Like Least: Drool and hair! The drool gets on everything- the floor, walls, ceiling, furniture, and our clothes. When he is shedding there is enough hair to make a full scale replica of himself. ;D 

Some of the members of the Saint Bernard Club had these thing to say about the drool:
1. Paint your rooms in dark colors like brown (it, the drool,won't show up as much)

2. At Christmas all you have to do is sprinkle glitter on your walls, the glitter will stick to the drool and I will look like you spent hours decorating your home

3. The Mr. Clean Magic Erasers will remove it off the walls

I just thought I would share
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 12:47:28 am by doglover »

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 12:54:01 am »
Those Mr. Clean Erasers are the bomb!
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 09:05:46 am »
Aunt Lisa loves Bava, I just wish I could have 10 pyrs and 10 newfs.  There is just something the the eyes of these big babies that moves your soul.   
I'd love for you to meet Bava - any of us would love for you to meet our newfs :) Buying any animal should not be taken lightly, it really is a life time commitment. I wish your friend the best of luck in finding a wonderful companion. Do they have internet access? It'd be nice if they could come here and see the posts about newfs. They're really what I'd consider the "best" dogs :) No offense to anyone, but I love love love my boy. I also love love love Lisa's Pyrs :) Sorry! I'm their auntie! :)
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 08:55:01 am »
i believe most large breed dogs are prone to the same health issues.  but even listening to the pros and cons of the newfie breed, i personally will never have any other breed of dog again.  im sure every newf owner on BPO will say the same. they are the best!!

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 10:41:36 am »
I dont have a newf,butLOVE those Mr.Clean erasers!It takes the drool off with ease.

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 10:47:54 am »
I know myself personally, I like to hear the pros and cons....it makes me do my homework harder if I was looking for a specific breed.  It gives me a heads up on what to check for and ask about.  I find it very vluable information all around.  If that guy who's looking for a large breed dog thinks that some specific breed is going to be totally without issues he's wrong....there has been so much over breeding today of all sorts of breeds that there are different issues all around.  You just have to do more research and ask more questions is all.  I have a dane, knock on wood she has had no problems as of yet.  I had a husky mix and she had arthritis, hip dysplasia and a torn cruciate ligament-she was only three.  All sorts of large breed dogs can develop issues even if their parents didn't have problems..it's just the way it is when they are so big.  People who like large breeds know that, but we love them anyway!  I wouldn't own a little yapper as I don't really like all the noise, but I love me a big dog and am willing to take the risks involved in owning one....

Hope your friend does his homework and finds a good dog that he is happy with. 
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2005, 03:14:16 pm »
I think some of you Newf people played up the health problems a bit too much, shame on you!

As the currently dogless one researching right now, let me add my 5 cents (you know I can't talk just 2 cents worth!) to the mix here. 

I don't think that anyone has been 'downing' Newfs as a breed.  From MY perspective, as a person whose planning a big baby, and who's trying to be prepared for the consequences of that, I personally NEED to know all that bad stuff.

Because if I decide that a newfie is the dog I want just 'cause they're cute and sweet and will love me and snuggle 23.5 hours a day, how am I going to cope when my baby develops one of these all too common problems?   Maybe I'm not. 

Maybe I'm utterly overwhelmed by it, and I either send my baby off to rescue; or I have her prematurely put down, because I can't afford treatment or I can't bear to see her hurt at all. 

When I was about 12, this happened to a neighbor of ours.  Mary got a beautiful doxie girl, even taking a loan out to purchase her from a very reputable breeder. Every kid and dog on the block adored her, but at 2 1/2, Nina developed spinal problems.  It was treatable--but VERY expensive, more expensive than Mary, who was retired, a widow, living on SS, could afford.  She was still paying off the loan for buying her when Nina was PTS just after her 2nd Christmas.   None of us realized at that time that no matter how good the pedigree is, there are certain things that every breed contends with, because our dogs were bred for particular purposes--but those very purposes can have other genetic consequences, like the doxie's tendency for spinal problems, bad hips in many big dogs, or animal aggression in some breeds. 

I can't overstate how important it is to me to absorb the worst possible cons to everyone's breed--you all demonstrate the pros every day with your pictures and your stories! But if I know GOING IN to being a new dog mom what the probable health problems are, then I can 1) budget for the potential problems (or get a credit card just for the vet costs!) and 2) be prepared to recognize when a problem is starting early, and have at least a chance to keep it from becoming critical.   

The best thing that all of you can do for those of us planning for fur babies is to try to convince us that we DON'T want your breed.   You need to tell us every terrible, awful, bad and even just inconvenient thing there is ABOUT your breed, and keep telling us all the time. 

And you know why, right?

It's because unless I'm already amply forewarned/forearms with icy logic around my heart, there's not a chance in h*ll that I'm going to be able to resist when he snuggles up and breathes in my face, and kisses me on the eyebrow. 

The only defense to be had against puppy breath is a firm grounding in why he will NOT be the right dog for me when he weighs 150 pounds. 

And I won't know that unless you drill it into me now, REPEATEDLY, because I'll be DEAF once I look in his eyes--be they newfie brown, retriever gold or husky blue. 

So keep going on about the tumbleweeds and the dysplasia, and the running away, and the chewing of the walls, and the terrible runny-huge-sticky-nasty poops/throwing up, and all the rest.  I need to be fully immersed in the worst it could get before I go anywhere near a puppy.  (Or even a rescue.  They're just as bad as the puppies with their, love me, love me, love me faces and their clingy ways.) 

If you all do your job in this respect, then I will get the right baby when it's time.  Because he or she will be the one that despite all your negatives pounding in my ears, I will say "Are you ready to go home with mama, sweetie?"   ;)

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2005, 03:17:49 pm »
VERY well put, NoDog!!!!  Once you fall in love...logic is GONE!!!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 12:04:28 am »
What do i love?
i love the Challenge i face with each and every Smart, boisterous pup i raise, they are a lot of work, and devotion, as much as prolly a small child, i love that training requires me to walk my pups on leash until they are a good twelve months old, to do their potty business, and for basic obedience, i love that i have to take them to classes thru puppy hood on thru the destructive boisterous unruly stage, i love seeing what comes of an unruly pup when training takes over and they settle in.
but, this only happens with a lot of work.
unless they come from very lazy lines.
i love that mine are not from oversized st bernard type heads, becouse they have the proper eyelids that do not sag and allow irritants, and everything else floating around, into their eyelids.
i love that mine are Correct size, females between 100-120
and males between 130-150
anything over that be very wary.
structure wise they get plenty of excersise to build up the muscles in the rear legs for proper growth, and the diet they eat helps them to GROW SLOW
many of my guys are only 90 lbs at a year and thru to a year nd a half, than by two they hit 100 than slowly, ever so slowly they fill out, wich is how it should be for their bones and their structure.
there is much intelligence and they challenge me, with children i have to watch so that they dont accidantly knock one over, i am ever so vigilant and teach them to be gentle.
they are not raised with Free reign of the backyard ever.
as if i did let them do that, they would take it and run with it, become unruly becouse i didnt bond with them.
i love their intelligence, their own ability to problem solve, their almost human like tendancies.
i could go on and on and on........
and think i will, some label top breeders in country, i dont, they get that label becouse everyone puts them on that pedestool, to be that i am not willing to sacrifice.
that means kenneling many dogs to breed many many pups becouse of the demand.
i will not and refuse to shoot for a goal such as that.
be wary, hip displaycia is not just genetic, it is not proven so.
there is not dna yet, it can come from cleared lines as well as dogs affected, and the level of the displaycia is also a consideration, many dogs have it and never ever suffer a day in their life.
just as many humans suffer from the same condition.
be vary wary of those who preach the perfect preach on joint disease, becouse, it is not a solved mystery, it is still a mystery and one that will continue to have us guessing for years to come i am sure.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:09:18 am by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 02:22:25 pm »
The best thing that all of you can do for those of us planning for fur babies is to try to convince us that we DON'T want your breed.   You need to tell us every terrible, awful, bad and even just inconvenient thing there is ABOUT your breed, and keep telling us all the time. 

Uh, that makes absolutely no sense!  ??? "Newfies are the wrong dog for you.  They are sickly, prone to heart disease and hip dysplasia, have loose stools all the time, stink and drop hair everywhere, and die early deaths.  That will be $2000, cash or check?  Enjoy your new dog!"  What kind of sales strategy is that?

So before people have a baby should a doctor tell them, "This baby will give you stretch marks and extreme weight gain.  The birth will be incredibly painful and an unpleasant experience, with a chance of an extremely long labor.  Once the baby is out of you, it will be constantly crying and you will never sleep and be exposed to feces and urine on a regular basis.  Your house will have toys strewn all over the place and be in a constant state of dissarray.  Then your child will go through the terrible twos, which is a nightmare.  Then after a brief period of "easier" years, they will become a teenager and make your life a stress filled h*ll.  They will be disrespectful and spiteful towards you and will only talk to you if they need money.  Once they graduate high school, they will go to college and that will deplete any savings you ever had.  Then, when you get old and need their help, they will put you in a decrepted rest home where you will die lonely."  Think about it, that's the same logic.

Breeders and rescue groups shouldn't beat into your head the negatives and try to talk you out of getting a dog, they just need to make you well aware of them.  You can find out all of this info on your own as well, people need to do their homework.  It's just like buying a car or a home or planning a family.  You weigh the pros and cons and make a decision.  You don't dwell on the cons and enter into a financial and/or emotional committment with a dark cloud over your head.  Life is too short to be so negative and pessimistic.  But thats my opinion.  I love my Newf, potential health problems, drooling and shedding, shorter life span and all.  And if my breeder had tried to talk me out of a Newf, I would have taken my money elsewhere and they would have lost a sale and a wonderful owner for one of their precious puppies.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 02:33:26 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 05:34:34 pm »
The analogy between childbirth and owning a Newf is amusing and apt.  Having had four children...it was all true! :P  Why didn't anybody set me down and tell me that BEFORE I got pregnant!! ;D ;D  And you forgot to figure in the cost of those little angels!!!

But, honestly, I appreciate breeders being careful to let you know what you are getting in to before you take one of these babies home.  There was no doubt, once I saw my first Newf, that that would be the breed for us for the rest of our lives.  Breeders could have said just about anything and it wouldn't have mattered....I was completely and totally smitten.  I understand your defense of our breed, but just knowing that there is a Newf here in So. Cal. who needs a forever home and I KNOW I can't take him in (darling husband has had the sense to limit me to only two) breaks my heart.  There was a fool who turned that guy out!!!??  Why?  The drool? Size? Hair? Did somebody NOT explain what comes with a Newf?  The guy who Cowboy was rescued from kept him in a crate all the time so his condo in the desert wouldn't get dirty.  There is just NO excuse for that!  NONE!!!  I know Cowboy's breeder well, and she did all she could to check the guy out before Cowboy went to him and thought she'd explained all that was involved with a Newf...and he was worried about keeping his most tastefully decorated condo immaculate?  GIVE ME A BREAK~!!!

Go ahead....tell people the down side so that no giant breed (esp. Newfs!!! ;D)  is never, EVER homeless.  Limit these giants to be loved by only those who really and truly want them and completely understand the downside!!!  Cowboy's health issues are just as important to darling husband and me as our children's health issues.  NO difference!  (and just as expensive :P)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006, 06:21:01 pm »
So before people have a baby should a doctor tell them, "This baby will give you stretch marks and extreme weight gain.  The birth will be incredibly painful and an unpleasant experience, with a chance of an extremely long labor.  Once the baby is out of you, it will be constantly crying and you will never sleep and be exposed to feces and urine on a regular basis.  Your house will have toys strewn all over the place and be in a constant state of dissarray.  Then your child will go through the terrible twos, which is a nightmare.  Then after a brief period of "easier" years, they will become a teenager and make your life a stress filled h*ll.  They will be disrespectful and spiteful towards you and will only talk to you if they need money.  Once they graduate high school, they will go to college and that will deplete any savings you ever had.  Then, when you get old and need their help, they will put you in a decrepted rest home where you will die lonely.

In a word...YES. 

Why would that be bad?  Seriously, anyone who would be put off by that kind of blunt, forceful statement shouldn't have a baby anyway.  Unfortunately, not enough people MAKE these kinds of blunt forceful statements, and people who should never be parents have babies.  (I know.  I used to get the poor kids in my classroom, and they broke my heart regularly. :'(

Similarly, if someone is put off from getting a particular dog because an owner, a rescue coordinator or a breeder is forceful and blunt about the probable temperment, health and lifestyle issues that a new owner will face, that's a good outcome as far as I'm concerned.   

For example:  it would have been great if the BC's dad at the dog park had firmly discouraged my sister about getting a BC puppy after she fell for his well behaved, agility-in-training dog.

Instead he was all,'they're really smart and affectionate, and love to play !' which is true, but seriously incomplete information. She needed him to make her understand out that BC's are super high energy, super driven and need about 10 times more training time than she has in her day.  Instead, she got all that information after she'd already gone to visit the breeder, held the fiend and been puppy breathed on; she fell in love and that was IT.  No going back.  Consequently, Demonspawn is NOT doing well; in fact I expect to hear any day that the dog catcher has caught him out of the yard YET AGAIN, and that this time she's not going to get him back because she can't control him.  Which is true--last week he managed to dig the long line she got to keep him in the yard, but away from the fence (which he sometimes jumps and sometimes digs out from under) all the way out from under his dog house and pull out the spike it was anchored on underneath there, and he's off and running, dragging 50 feet of line!  She needs a snuggly, mellow grown dog that's going to sleep all day on one of the beds while she's at work, and who wants to be with her every second when she gets home, loves to ride in the car, and who's reasonably anxious to please.   Instead, she has a wild nut who needed to go to a puppy class that she couldn't get to because of her work schedule, who needs to be in an obedience class that she can't get to because of her work schedule, and who needs a yard 3 times the size of the one he has, plus a 10 foot fence that goes down to the bedrock! 

I'm not saying "go into it with a dark cloud over your head."  But if you don't have a thick, thick stack of icy reasons why not, puppy breath will get you, more than likely to the ultimate detriment of the puppy, not to mention your own broken heart when it doesn't work out. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2006, 06:35:43 pm »
The analogy between childbirth and owning a Newf is amusing and apt.  Having had four children...it was all true! :P  Why didn't anybody set me down and tell me that BEFORE I got pregnant!! ;D ;D  And you forgot to figure in the cost of those little angels!!!

Newflvr, I just want to say, you always crack me up!
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€