Author Topic: New Saint Lover  (Read 7390 times)

shelleysparkles

New Saint Lover
« on: November 21, 2005, 05:14:28 am »
Hi. My name is Shelley. I have a wonderful 11 month old Saint and I'm searching for other owners to chat back and forth about all things Saint Bernard. I really have a lot of questions. Hope to speak to you sometime.
Shelley

Lyn

Re: New Saint Lover
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 09:17:51 am »
Welcome to BPO!   :)

I have a 9 month old Saint named Bubba.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 10:15:21 am »
There are a lot of saints here and I'm sure they'll be on soon. I just want to welcome you to BPO. This is a great place to get the answers your looking for. They've helped me out a lot. I'm April and I have an eight month old great pyrenees named Kiah.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 12:02:36 pm »
Hi!! Always nice to hear from another Saint owner. I am owned by a 2 year old husky/shepherd cross and my 2 year old Saint. Looking forward to hearing more stories about your pup.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 12:05:23 pm »
Welcome to bigpaws.You are gonna love it hear.We all do.I have a 1 year old saint named Spotakiss and live in Ohio.Again welcome and enjoy the site that we have come to love.

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 02:06:15 pm »
Hi Shelley. Buckley is so cute. Welcome to big paws. You are just going to love it here. I have a almost 5 month old Saint Molly, a Lab mix Abbi 1 1/2 years, and a 9 year old beagle Rebel.

Yaz

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 02:13:18 pm »
Welcome aboard! I have a little Saint pup named Gershwin.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 07:34:28 pm »
Hi Shelley! Welcome to BPO! You will love it here :)

I am Heather and I have a wonderful 17 month old Saint named Zoey
RIP former BPO

Offline tyscrzymom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 01:49:55 am »
Hi and welcome to BPO!!! This is a great place!!! My name is Heather and I am owned by an 8 month old Saint named Bubba.You should post some more pics. of your fur baby :)

Offline cd30_2005

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New Saint Lover
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 12:42:45 am »
Hi! My name is Corinna, and I am very nre to this sight, I don't even know how too post messages yet. I did find out how to reply, so I picked the closest one to my topic. I just put a deposit on a six week old saint as a pet for our family. I have 5 small children. ages 8, 7, 4, 2, and 6 months. My kids are excited about getting our new dog. Anything anybody can tell me about saints would be very much appreciated. How can I post my topics instead of being rude by going in under someone else? very nice to meet you all!!

Yaz

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 08:37:59 am »
Hi Corinna welcome aboard! To post a new topic, look on the left hand side of your screen for the post new topic link. You must be so excited about getting your new Saint. I have three children similar in age to you (3, 2 and 1) and our Saint pup Gershwin is 15 weeks old. He is our second Saint and although personalities differ, there are some traits that are common for all well-bred Saints - they are wonderful with children, even temperment, sensitive to the tone of your voice and very affectionate. If you have a crate for your pup I would suggest that you train him/her to use it right away. Although the kids will be dying to hold and play with your little one, he will need a lot of sleep the first few weeks (18 hours a day) because they do a lot of growing while they sleep. The morning routine I used for my pups from eight weeks until 100%  housebroken (four - five months) is as follows:

- up at 6am and let the pup out to pee and poop (pick a phrase like "do your job" or "do your business" and chant it over and over again while they are doing it - they catch on very quick that when you say the phrase they are to do a pee or poop).

Back inside, I let the pup play in the kitchen while I prepare breakfast. I keep the little one in a puppy station, meaning they are on a leash tied to the patio door. This way, when I have to run in and out of the kitchen I can contain the little one.

6:30 - back out for a pee and then I pop the pup into his crate where he takes a nap while my little ones eat and play.

7:30 - back out for a pee and then inside for the pups breakfast. If it is hectic with the kids I feed the pup in his crate. I find my Saints will immediately go to sleep after eating.

8:30 - out for a pee and then the pup accompanies me with taking the kids to nursery school.
 The rest of the day is spent playing sleeping and peeing. I find the mornings to be the most hectic with an unhousebroken puppy because of the chaos of getting the kids off to nurseryschool. Another suggestion I would make is cutting off the puppy's water by 8pm in the evening - they can sleep through the night easily if you do that. I do find that Saints drink a tonne of water during the day and this can be a challenge for housebreaking since what goes in must go out!

Best of luck with your new addition!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 10:21:37 am »
Hi Corinna welcome to BPO.
I also have 3 children who are owned by a St. His name is Judge and he will be 2 in March. You couldnt have picked a better pup for your already busy household. St.s are in my oppinion the best dog to have grow up with your children.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Maisy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 05:54:06 pm »
Hi there.  I am new here too so it is nice to see I am not the only one.  Our family is now officially being run by Maisy, our 6 month old St. pup.  She is the love of our lives and we feel so blessed to have found her.  She is our first experience with the breed, but we are loving the new challenge.   She seems to be growing nicely (already nearly 80 lbs!) and so far so good with all of her training.
I'd love to hear any advice or tips from the experts out there, but also would be fun swapping puppy stories with you.
natasha

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 07:06:21 pm »
Hi there.  I am new here too so it is nice to see I am not the only one.  Our family is now officially being run by Maisy, our 6 month old St. pup.  She is the love of our lives and we feel so blessed to have found her.  She is our first experience with the breed, but we are loving the new challenge.   She seems to be growing nicely (already nearly 80 lbs!) and so far so good with all of her training.
I'd love to hear any advice or tips from the experts out there, but also would be fun swapping puppy stories with you.
natasha
Hi Natasha
Welcome to BPO. You will love all the wonderfull people on this site. We love pictures so you will have to get some so we can see your baby.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Smaug

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 08:48:21 pm »
Hello Shelly,

I am new here as well.  There are a great bunch of folks on here and I am sure you will enjoy.  My boy Saint is 17 weeks old, so I am really new to the puppy part.  I had a Saint when I was groing up, but she was already grown, so Chase is my first Saint puppy.

Welcome