Author Topic: Poop eating...? uh oh...  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Poop eating...? uh oh...
« on: November 21, 2005, 10:07:34 am »
Ok, I know someone else has had this problem before, because I remember reading it and thinking... "I'm sure glad my dogs don't do that!!! Ha ha!"
Well, now it IS my problem. (this is what I get for laughing) Mokey has started eating poop. It all began the other day, I took her to a friend's house and let her run around in his back yard. Well, my friend's cats go potty out there, and Mokey found their backyard "litterbox". And she discovered cat poo, and it's apparent appeal. (yuck. hurl.) So since then, she has been obsessed with poop and eats it before I even have a chance to intervene. We're talking dog poo now, and well, I have 5 dogs... and I think I have lost my appetite for the rest of my life. Mokey used to be this cute little kissy monster and now she is the terrible poo-breath monster. It is making me avoid being affectionate with her. Not to mention if she ever eats the poo of other animals she could get infected with parasites or who knows what else.
Can someone direct me to another thread about this or give me any ray of hope?
Please???
 :P

Kiahpyr

Re: Poop eating...? uh oh...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 10:09:59 am »
Sorry I can't help ya there. I just want to say the Mokey is getting so big. She's such a cutie!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 10:22:58 am »
Thanks... I used to think she was much cuter before she started eating poo!!!
She is getting big though! Already 20 inches tall!  ;D

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 10:41:42 am »
That would be me.. Well not ME.. LMAO. My Bubba was the poo eater!  :-\ I tried to pick up as much as I could.. but I always seemed to miss some. He more or less just quit on his own. I started putting him on leash when he went out to potty. This way If he attempted to grab some poo I was right there to correct him. Usually an "UH UH" or "Leave it" and I litterally drug him away from it. LOL

Oh how I remember the poo breath. I was even smeared once ON MY FACE!!! with poo that was stuck in his jowls. YUCK! Kisses were definitely postponed for a long time after that. Oh man just the thought is giving me shivers. LOL

There is hope! You can buy supplements to add to your other dogs food and her's that is suppose to make the poo less tasty. I never went that route though. Or you can bait some poo in the yard with something yucky tasting. OR you can do what I did and just correct her when you see her doing it. But with 5 dogs that may be rather difficult. Unless you maybe take her out to potty by herself?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:45:18 am by Lyn »

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:01:34 am »
Oh, Lyn, I am so sorry about being smeared in the face! Yuck! I am telling you there is nothing more repulsive to me than this whole topic. It's too bad anyone has to go through this but at least i feel I have some support now!! Lucky for me Mokey doesn't have any jowls to speak of where extra poo could hide! EW!!!!

Ok, Melissakins, I will try the lacing of the poo but... I won't be able to put that hot sauce back in the fridge again! Ugh, I just cannot eat a thing today.

Thanks for the help, folks. I hope this is just a phase!!!!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 12:06:54 pm »
Dilbert was a poo eater too. Yup it was gross. He stopped on his own too. I asked the vet was to do and she said go out with him and if he goes near it correct him. He also use to eat cat poop, now I make sure the litter is cleared out so there is no poop in it at all time. So there is no temptation. LOL gross huh?

Just know that the poop eating is normal at the puppy stage, it is an instinct to leave nothing behind for predators to find. In the wild, it is the mother that does this for the pups. ( I read this online while frantically trying to find out how to get him to stop with the poop eating) I still don't like it and he couldn't stop it fast enough for me.

Good luck  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 03:21:57 pm »
I am guilty (or I should say – Kate is guilty) of enjoying ‘poop-sicles’ also.  I didn’t know what was going on when we brought her home, she would look at it like it was a nice juicey steak, licking her lips.  GROSS!!!  We find she ‘plays’ with it more than eats it (but regardless it’s in her mouth) so it’s yucky.  Especially when she comes inside from the yard and wants to give you a big kissy – EWE!!!

We asked the vet and she said some pups just do it, there’s no real reason.  She said sometimes (if they live in dirty conditions, where they poop in the area they live in), they will eat poop.  BUT – in our situation, this isn’t the case (obviously) so who knows.  She said that they eventually grow out of it, but gees – it’s so yucky I hope it ends sooner (than later)…

We pick up her poop every day, but she does get some.  It’s funny, it’s like we’re taking away candy from a kid!  When we pick it up, she barks at us (like we’re being mean by taking it away from her)!  My goodness, she is crazy…

SO – you are not alone – I also feel your pain! 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 03:31:41 pm »
You are definitely not alone here. My dogs still go after the litter boxes every chance they get, but Rocko was really bad when he was a puppy.

Now, this is really gross so if you don't have a strong stomach, stop reading here:

He used to eat Oasis's poo as he was laying it down!! That was NAAAAAAASTY!!

We yelled and tried to correct him when he did it, but he eventually grew out of it.

The supplement you can add to their food (dogs or cats) is called For-Bid. It's a poweder you put on their food and it's supposed to make the poop taste bad.

Um, like it doesn't taste bad already? Anyway, they sell it in most pet catalogs and you should be able to get it from your vet.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 03:35:55 pm »
It is odd I know.  Lady and Grace aren't big poo conesiouers.   Missy was though.  She would make a day of it sometimes. 
When I had a cat she would sneak downstairs while I was at work and just clean out the litter box.  I'd scold her when I got home...and she'd look at me like: "How'd you know I was eating poo again?"  Funny thing is that kitty litter is like cement on a dog's wet nose.  it was all over her nose and would chip off in a day or two.  :)  She was such a stinker.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 03:43:43 pm »
We had to confine the cat box to our half bath and put a gate over the door - Bava loooooved kitty treats.....

Of course...that's the sweeter tasting poop...so I've heard.  That's why Missy loved cat poo best.  Their food is richer.

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 04:41:21 pm »
I have had that problem too, with my beagle, he's 9 and still does it (doggy poop) sometimes. But the litterbox is an obession to all 3. We have an auto cleaning box, but we still find them in it. We have tried the hot suase in it but I guess they loved it becuase they started going in it more. My Saint actually stands in the box. We are moving it to an area that the cats will only have access to. I can't handle it anymore.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 04:50:59 pm »
I think all dogs like cat crunchies.. they're like a canine delicacy.. doggie godiva.  We ended up putting the litter box in an unused bathroom and a gate just high enough for the cats to go up under but no the dogs.

Bava was passing cat litter in his poop when he discovered the cat box.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 04:55:14 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 05:33:02 pm »
I can't remember exactly who suggested this, I think it was Shangrila.  Sprinkle meat tenderizer into their food.  It makes the poop undesirable.

Jack is a finicky poop eater.  Some days yes, some days no.  I never know when he's gonna burp poop in my face.

Tina
DOH!  ewwwww! 

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 05:39:27 pm »
So glad all I had for lunch was popcorn...

Cabo used to have a go at his own poop on occasion, but only if it was runny.  I just used the time honored method of screaming "NO" at the top of my lungs at him....   ;D

I always assumed that his interest in it only when it wasn't "normal", was a symptom of a dog's natural tendancy to hide when they are not feeling well - sort of cleaning up the evidence that you are sick, as it were.
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 05:57:10 pm »
Hey Bava is doing that.. the deer poop eating I mean.. Just thought of that, he is very sneaky about it though... Wonder if we will need to give him wormer.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”