Author Topic: Confessions  (Read 6602 times)

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
Confessions
« on: November 24, 2005, 12:57:32 am »
Confession #1: 
I'm a foster failure.  I just can't resist those bwd's with beautiful brown eyes.  ;)  Frosty is officially one of my dogs now.   ;D

She will need surgery on her shoulders - she has osteochondriti s dessicans in both.  The left one is pretty bad & is causing her a lot of pain when she tries to play.  Lucy has ocd in her right shoulder - they make a great pair of gimpy dogs.  :(  Bella's right hip was subluxed & the ortho vet put it back in place when he did her exam - she'll need x-rays to confirm it, but the vet & I are pretty sure she has hip dysplasia....s o far tho, she doesn't show any signs that it is hurting her like Frosty & Lucy are showing with their shoulders.

Confession #2: 
I'm a sucker for brown eyes.....am now fostering another dog (that makes 5 bwds at my house + 1 cat)....meet Pete.  He got his name because he was being a "sneaky" Pete....the day I picked him up from the HSNT shelter for SPIN, he crawled over the front seats from the back of the car & helped himself to my Starbucks coffee while I was inside filling out the release papers.  :o

Pete's story:  his owner didn't know he was missing, didn't know he was a "he" (thought he was a "she") and didn't want to pay the vet bill for the HSNT, so she surrendered him.   >:(    Pete had pretty obviously been on the streets for a while & eating trash to survive...he was having stool with styrofoam, plastic & blood from the irritation to his colon when he was found.   :'(    He only weighed 65 lb on the day I picked him up from the shelter.  He's approximately between 1 & 2 years old (by his behavior, I'd say closer to 1 year old).  He has fear-aggression  :(  & will need a lot of re-education about us humans & how to behave around us.  Pete is sweet & loving with me & has decided to protect me & my house....which has caused a few problems with my pet sitters while I'm at work....it's getting better pretty fast because he is a very smart dog.  His behavior around some humans shows signs of having been abused, too. 

Casper would put himself between Pete & I the first week that he was here....now they are chums except when Pete challenges him for alpha status.....lit tle do they know that the females rule the roost here!   ;)   ;D

The pics below are:
Bella X 2
Casper & Frosty
Frosty
Lucy
Pete X 3
Casper
Frosty X 2

Happy Holidays!
-LaurieW
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 01:04:27 am by LaurieW »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 01:20:06 am »
Those are great pics! Everyone is so beautiful :)
RIP former BPO

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 01:24:20 am »
those are great pics-beautiful dogs!!!
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 03:41:24 am »
They certainly are beautiful.

And you are so right about Frosty's eyes.  I don't think I have ever seen eyes so big and brown before.  I can see why you couldn't resist.  I can hardly resist, and I've only seen a picture.  :)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 09:55:22 am »
I think you're wonderful for helping the dogs in need. I can't resist those brown eyes either. Hope everyone has quick reccoveries and Pete keeps getting better and better.

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 11:48:31 am »
Oh the second-to-last picture totally reminds me of the dog (Max?) from How the Grinch Stole Christmas!  (The cartoon, not the movie.)

What bunch of gorgeous dogs...makes me want a GP.  But, I think I'll stick with one dog-that's-as-big-as-a-horse for now...
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 11:56:43 am »
They are beautiful dogs. And yup you just can resist those brown eyes. I love looking at Dilberts eyes the make me smile right away.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 11:56:50 am »
Great Pictures. They are all beautiful dogs. Don't feel bad about being a foster failure, all who foster at some point fail ;).

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 12:28:40 pm »
I think that if you have to be a failer at something, you have failed in the right area.  Creator bless you for your loving heart.  I have that many Pyrs to but thank Creator they are all healthy.  Im sending one of my puppies to his new home today and it breaks my heart to see him leave.  Even though he is going to a great home I'll miss him dearly.  He is without a doubt the best puppy I've bred to date.  I would have kept him but intact males X2 is pleanty around here.  When the testrosterone gets to rolling it's one to many as a matter of fact...lol

You pat yourself on the back girl since I am not where I can do it for you.

Jackie Wood
Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 04:01:44 pm »
Laurie,

You are no failure. You are a success! You have successfully rehabilitated 4 beautiful dogs and are working on a 5th. (Not to mention the others that may have left your care?) No one who is capable of loving God's creatation is capable of failing. You have done your job well.

Frosty has the eyes no one can resist. SPIN is lucky to have you. Animal rescue,  and adults who adopt children are the true heros in todays society. They are the individuals dedicated enough to spend the time helping a throw away and turning them into  wanted, loving, keepers. ;)

Hope Pete finds a good home soon. All your dogs are beauties. Neat how each one has his/her own "individual" personality isn't it?

Merry Christmas Laurie...looks like you got your gift early, doesn't it.

Deena

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 12:17:30 am »
Laurie is a goddess! She took me to see Paul McCartney earlier this week.

Bow down and worship her!!!!

cricket36580

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 01:27:29 pm »
I am so jealous!!!  I want one!!!  They are absolutely gorgeous dogs.  No, I have to say your are NOT a failure as a foster.  Not until you end up with double digits and are totally overwhelmed...  Then maybe. 

On a different note. please keep an eye out for me a Pyr.  I'm looking for 2 right now.  Sorry about "hijacking" the thread...I'm just trying to get the word out as much as I can in order to find them. 

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 03:56:14 pm »
Oh wow!  I'm a "goddess" now!!!   ;D  (hee hee!)

Thanks for making me feel better about failing foster care!  I'm glad y'all like the pictures.  I think you're right - Frosty with antlers DOES look like Max from the Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

I'm going to try to get a picture of the 5 lined up in "sit" for my Christmas card.....cross paws that I can get them to "stay" for the picture session!   :D

blessings,
LaurieW

ps....Paul McCartney's concert was GREAT!!!! (even though there were some initial tech difficulties) ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 11:49:22 am »
All your pups are magnificent!  What a gorgeous crew!  You are the most successful failure I've ever seen! ;)  They are all so lucky to have you!

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 12:22:35 am »
Do I see a romance brewing on BPO?
Is Pup Daddy smitten?
Does Laurie W feel the same?
Could we possibly be witnessing an "Eight is Enough" episode?
What's going on here?
J & T
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman