Author Topic: Tonka has Inflammatory Bowel Disease  (Read 8861 times)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Tonka has Inflammatory Bowel Disease
« on: November 24, 2005, 12:44:04 pm »
I am not sure if we have ever spoken of this before, but the test results came back and she definitely has IBD. Has anyone had any experience with this, if so what did you feed your baby. They gave me a Prescription Formula of ZD for her, but I would like something else with more nutrients.  She can only have hydrolized protein, no treats, unless homemade with the food. Thanks for any imput.

Offline bhender254

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Tonka has Inflammatory Bowel Disease
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 12:58:37 pm »
I haven't had any personal experience with IBD, but I know there are several people on the rawfeeding list at Yahoo, who's dogs have IBD and they control it with raw food.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 01:17:27 pm »
Thanks, i will check into it.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 02:43:13 am »
1ST off, IBD is a blanket diagnoses & can be anything from sensative tummy to worms...What did they find exactly?...I have a 10 yr. old cat who was diagnosed with IBD when she was 4 yrs. old...They gave her a hydrocotosoin shot& said I would have to come back for more shots or they'd have to do exploritory surgery...I switched her food from Science Diet  Sensative Stomach Formula to Pro Pac (not Pro Plan) & 6 yrs. later she as is right as rain...Just my experience...B ut I have found that vets don't have all theanswers. :)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 06:18:02 am »
I haven't had any personal experience with IBD, but I know there are several people on the rawfeeding list at Yahoo, who's dogs have IBD and they control it with raw food.

There you go. Dogs were not made to digest grain. Do check it out.  ;)

Deena

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 07:07:43 am »
I feed raw as well but some people have a hard time with it LOL.  The only benefit of raw is that you know exactly what ingredients you are using so a process of elimination in determining what Tonka is sensitive is much easier  I did some looking around and Eagle Pack has a formula for IBD.

For IBD (Irritable Bowel Disease), feed our Maintenance Formula in conjunction with our Holistic Solutionâ„¢, for life. Never vary the diet. Divide the daily amount in half and feed morning and evening. For Cats with diarrhea and or bloody diarrhea, feed our Hairball Formula. (While ideal for hairball control, the special combination of 3 fibers usually resolves the diarrhea problem.) For dogs and cats, most problems should resolve in 3-5 days. During this period be consistent in your feeding schedule; do not feed anything else; nothing.

Good Luck
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 12:03:00 pm »
Thanks everyone, well we are now adding in Natures Recipe Venison and Rice with the Prescription ID, the venison and rice is an allergy formula also. If this does not work I will be making venison and rice and/or potatos for her. This was the only food the vet recommended for Tonka except Prescription Ultra ZD ( i have never been to fond of Science Diet Products) so I chose to try this one.  They took the biopsy when they did her surgery last week because her intestines and stomach were inflammed, but she did have fabric removed from her stomach so it would have been inflammed, plus her past history with stomach problems they wanted to find out why she vomits atleast once a week and will have diarreah for no reason, once the switch is complete the only protein source we can have her on is venison.  I also fully intend on having another biopsy ran when she is recovered from surgery and also allergy test. Along with it all she has this horrible rash/bumps on her snout that they are diagnosing as pyroderma, I say it is an allergic reaction by the way it looks. I was using medicine from pyroderma but it seemed to get worse so for today I am trying oatmeal shampoo and benedryl to see if it gets any better. She goes back to have that checked on Monday. I just don't want her on a lot of medicines at this time. I will also read up on the Eagle Pack and Pro Pac just incase, I can say that she can not have any chicken, lamb, soy, corn, wheat, dyes...well that is what I can remember.  It is really hard with 2 dogs and 2 different diets, but we will make it through.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 10:56:32 am »
You may want to give adding "Slippery Elm" to the food.  This has worked great for Sugar Bear.  I add 1/4t to each meal. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 12:35:48 pm »
Thanks, I am going to go to the health food store and get that as well as some of Solid GOld's digestive enzymes.  Now we are fighting a staph infection/pyoderma and it is covering her snout and getting on her head and ears. she is going to the vet tomorrow for an all day evaluation. I am going to ask them if they can give me the staph injections to give her rather than topical med. since she licks that off or oral meds.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 02:40:07 pm »
I'm so glad that members of BPO can help you out! You guys are sooo knowledgable.  :)

I really hope that things work out with baby Tonka.  Give her extra kisses and hugs for us!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 04:32:13 pm »
Thanks to everyone. I do fully intend to give both of mine venison 1-2 times per week the possibly switch over soon. I want get a second opinion and allergy test ran before I make my final decision. Since I work 2 jobs, it would be hard for me to do the raw diet and I don't want to leave it all up to my boyfriend. I did find a really good recipe for venison and potato/rice that seems easy and I could sub. vitamins for nutrients. She is gradually getting better and has pinned her sister on the floor numerous times today, I just wish her rash would go away. The food she is on now is Natures Recipe Venison and Rice and does not have many ingredients.  I hate to say this but I am refusing the Prescription foods at this time due to the ingredients and the co. that makes them. So if it comes down to home cooked meals, well I guess that is what I will have to do. Thanks again from Tasha, Tonka, Nala, and Brandon. Will post some pics of the 2 wild girls when Tonka gets better.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 04:49:24 pm »
If you are going to get the SG digestive enzymes, you may want to give the Solid Gold Green Tripe can food a try.  I give Sugar Bear and Dixie  the Nature's Recp. food, 1/4t Slippery Elm, 1/4t digestive enzymes, and 2T SG green tripe food.  Sometimes I had  2t cottage cheese to the food. If I give Sugar Bear anything else him tummy is upset for days.  He would eat a can of the tripe at a time if I let him.

Lisa 

Thanks, I am going to go to the health food store and get that as well as some of Solid GOld's digestive enzymes.  Now we are fighting a staph infection/pyoderma and it is covering her snout and getting on her head and ears. she is going to the vet tomorrow for an all day evaluation. I am going to ask them if they can give me the staph injections to give her rather than topical med. since she licks that off or oral meds.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 05:59:57 pm »
I had thought about the tripe, but unfortunately until we find out what caused the IBD the only protein she can have right now is venison. Also the one that upsets me is no dairy, since she was use to having yogurt and ice cream and occasionaly milk, they think it could be a dairy issue also. My poor baby. She can have pumpkin, bananas, and her new favorite treat, banana chips.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 06:05:41 pm »
I like the banana chip idea.  I will have to try some for Sugar Bear.  Is it working only feeding one protein?  At first I though that Sugar Bear had a dairy issue but it was the same with or without it.  I think someone in the family gave him some ham or something this weekend because we are back to an upset tummy.  I have been trying to work this out for months and months.  What type test did you have done?  What I am doing helps but any extra treats can start it up again.

Lisa

I had thought about the tripe, but unfortunately until we find out what caused the IBD the only protein she can have right now is venison. Also the one that upsets me is no dairy, since she was use to having yogurt and ice cream and occasionaly milk, they think it could be a dairy issue also. My poor baby. She can have pumpkin, bananas, and her new favorite treat, banana chips.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 09:21:11 pm »
So far so good, very solid poo and no gurgling tummy or vomit (crossing my fingers). She had a biopsy of her stomach and intestines done when she had surgery to remove fabric from a scoccer ball. I also intend to get allergy test done when she is better, I don't want to put her through a lot at this time. I did print off info on slippery elm and SGs Life Extension and Vit. C to take tomorrow to the vet to see if I can start adding that in. I figure if I show them that I care enough to do research, maybe we can fix this without any meds and only herbal supplements.