Author Topic: Jilly has a gooey mess.....  (Read 3105 times)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Jilly has a gooey mess.....
« on: November 24, 2005, 02:01:49 pm »
...on her cheek.  Last night we thought it was sap.  I used a warm cloth and cleaned the goo off.   She didn't like it much and the skin was swollen.   I thought I might find an abcess under all the goo but there wasn't anything obvious.
This morning it was covered with goo again.
She doesn't like having it touched. 

Thoughts on what this might be?

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
Re: Jilly has a gooey mess.....
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 02:26:33 pm »
Hmmm, can you describe the goo?

Sounds funny, I know, but I'm dealing with goo too.  But my Crede's is eye goo.
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 03:05:48 pm »
wendy, was there any type of sore or skin irritation under the goo?  lots of times a scratch or cut will ooze and it will dry and look like sap.  i know you have gotten a cut before on yourself it not bleed but instead ooze clear stuff, like plasma (for lack of a better word).  just keep the area clean and use antibiotic ointment, or at least that would be what i would do. 
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 10:45:36 pm »
Have you noticed her scratching the area prior? Could be a hot spot... they ooze goo. They are also pretty painful.

There is a pic of Bubba's 'hot spot' here... http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,3930.0.html

It basically looked like a raised rash before he chewed the area open. The way you described the spot sounds similar.

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 05:58:46 pm »
Yep....a hot spot.   Poor Jilly.
The vet shaved the area.  That was loads of fun.  Clipper noise is bad.  Shaving a spot right under the ear made it even worse but she was such a good girl. 
She tried to wiggle away but not a peep out of her.   No growling or lip curling.   She is a big sweetie.
The vet cleaned up all the goo and used a topical spray that we will continue with twice a day.   Jill is also on an oral antibiotic.     

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 10:22:52 pm »
so the area was under her ear?  while it may be just a hot spot, keep in mind that dogs scratch their faces sometimes meaning to scratch at a ear that could be yucky or possibly infected.  be sure to check her ears for any odors or discoloration or swelling.  i know several dogs who got hot spots on their cheeks because they were digging at an ear.  the ear gets unnoticed when a raw hot spot appears.  occasionally i have seen cases of ear mites too that the dogs were scratching at and thus made a sore on the face. 
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 01:40:20 pm »
so the area was under her ear?  while it may be just a hot spot, keep in mind that dogs scratch their faces sometimes meaning to scratch at a ear that could be yucky or possibly infected.  be sure to check her ears for any odors or discoloration or swelling.  i know several dogs who got hot spots on their cheeks because they were digging at an ear.  the ear gets unnoticed when a raw hot spot appears.  occasionally i have seen cases of ear mites too that the dogs were scratching at and thus made a sore on the face. 

Good point.  The vet did check her ears but I will continue to monitor them just incase something begins to show itself.   

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 02:36:03 pm »
I like to keep Neo Predef powder (available from vet) or BlueStar powder on hand.  Dries up the gooey stuff and heals really fast.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€