Author Topic: Question for those who've quit smoking  (Read 6758 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Question for those who've quit smoking
« on: November 25, 2005, 09:17:42 pm »
Matt stopped smoking about a week ago.  He's been using the patch on it's highest dose. (As the pharmacist said he should with the amount and type of cigarettes he'd been smoking).  Well he has a rash under where the patch is, which is normal I guess.  But then he says that for the first hour of having it on he says it feels like "Little gnomes are under the skin biting my muscle tissue".  Then he gets "Morning sickness" with naseau and cramps for another three hours.  On the bright side he doesn't even want to think of smoking anymore.  YAY!  On the not so bright side he's getting sick.  He's been hacking up massive quantities of brown phlegm (The tar from 5 years of smoking 1-2 packs a day), his throat is really sore (But came back negative for strep), and he's wicked wicked dizzy.  In fact he didn't wear the patch at all today and he's passed out cold right now with chest pains and he can't see straight.  We went to the ER Thanksgiving night and he came back OK, and someone suggested to me he might be allergic to the patch.  I was just wondering if any of you guys had been through anything like this.  He's my baby and I'm so worried about him!  :'(
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

angelsmama

Re: Question for those who've quit smoking
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 09:18:39 pm »
yeah hes allergic to it , stronger than i am, im not sure i want attempt quitting smoking  :P
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 09:20:50 pm by angelsmama »

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 09:22:52 pm »
My husband tried the patch and it made him feel wierd so he stop using it. I have quit smoking and you do not vomit up the tar and I smoked long and more than Matt. Good luck to him, it is a very difficult thing to do. This is the second time I quit, the last time I made it 15 months. He really should stop using the patch.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 09:26:23 pm »
My husband tried the patch and it made him feel wierd so he stop using it. I have quit smoking and you do not vomit up the tar and I smoked long and more than Matt. Good luck to him, it is a very difficult thing to do. This is the second time I quit, the last time I made it 15 months. He really should stop using the patch.

It's not vomit.  It's phelgm/mucus.  He's coughed it up forever, just now he's doing it with more frequency.  I want him to quit so bad, I want him around for a good long time and he cant' stand the gum and the (Overpriced) patch is our last chance.

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 09:42:01 pm »
I would suggest he talk to the pharmacist.  Sounds like the patch is working (ie: "he doesn't want to smoke").  A week has passed, perhaps a lower dose would continue on the good work.  He may not be "allergic" to it, just experiencing some of the side effects.  A lower dose may ease up on the side effects.  I think most folks cough up a lot more gunk the first weeks they are off the cigs.... it is the bronchioles adjusting to cleaner oxygen.  That part should get better, along with his sense of smell and taste.
Karen

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 09:53:34 pm »
Here's a list of Side effect.  I've highlighted Matt's symptoms.  I'm thinking he just needs a lower dose.

What side effects may occur?
Return to top

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue using nicotine patches.

Most common side effects may include:
Dizziness, high blood pressure, itching and burning at the application site, nausea, redness of the skin

Less common side effects may include:
Abnormal dreaming, allergic reactions, back pain, chest pain, constipation, cough, diarrhea, drowsiness, dry mouth, headache, impaired concentration, indigestion, inflammation of sinuses, menstrual irregularities, numb­ness, pain, pins and needles sensation, rash, sleeplessness, sore throat, stomach pain, sweating, taste changes, tingling, vomiting, weakness

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 10:06:24 pm »
Well, I can't help with any suggestions, but I can say that I am glad he is at least not experiencing mentrual irregularities

If that starts, I would definitely take him off the patch.   ;D

Good luck with him quitting smoking.  I know it can be very difficult.  Hubby chews tobacco, which I find horrendously disgusting, and he refuses to quit, even though theoretically he could lose 1/2 his face to cancer. (tongue, gum, lip, throat, tooth loss)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 10:08:41 pm »
Well, I can't help with any suggestions, but I can say that I am glad he is at least not experiencing mentrual irregularities . 

I was gonna highlight that jsut to be evil.........   ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 10:26:59 pm »
Well, I can't help with any suggestions, but I can say that I am glad he is at least not experiencing mentrual irregularities

I was gonna highlight that jsut to be evil.........   

Hahaha........ ..........that certainly would have raised a few eyebrows.  I definitely would have said take him off the patch then.......... ...lol

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 11:13:10 pm »
Well, everybody is different.  Patch did not work for me but the gum does.  Mostly I love sticking the emptied, chewed stuff around the house so everybody knows how good I have been.  I hate quitting but I hate not quitting worse.  Food does not taste better, it just smells better.  Then again, I smell more and that includes things I do not want to smell.  I am very unhappy.
Peggy

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 11:51:46 pm »
I quit smoking the old fashion way, cold turkey and boy was I a... well not a very nice person, put it that way.  Anyway I had a friend that went on the patch and she was on too strong of a dose and got nicotine overdose, she was puking and passing out ect. So he could have too strong of a dose. I would suggest going on the dose down, also make sure that he is not sneaking a smoke too, that could cause he to overdose as well. Hope that helps, and tell him good luck. But it is posible to quit, it will be 2 years for me this Jan!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 11:53:36 pm »
He tried the patch a year ago and forgot about it and had a smoke and it DID put him in the hospital.  When he wakes up I'm gonna talk to him about stepping down the dose......  And he's tried going cold turkey...... He's a PIA under normal circumstances.  When he's having a nic fit Mother Teresa herself would curse him.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 12:00:48 am »
Yup I was not a happy camper when I quit, it was like PMS times 100. Poor Tim I think he wanted to kill me. But my one motivation was I just had surgery and didn't want to risk not healing properly, so I didn't dare start to smoke again. (I had a boob reduction, didn't want to risk getting gangrene.)
Anyway, I think he would feel much better if he went on a lower dose, he shouldn't have side effects that bad.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 12:15:51 am »
Coming in late to this thread but with to much experience unfortunately and from a medical perspective...
The patch works great IF you can tolerate the adhesive which as your hubby says feels like gnomes going crazy under the patch.  I have been a smaker for 13 years, quit twice.  Most recently after surgery on my neck 6 weeks ago.  I also have a very good friend who is a pharmacist.  If you put the patch on an area that is "fatty" the itching is less, for me that was my outer thighs.  With men,  Who knows?  LOL!  As far as the reactions, if he wore the patch and smoked or cheated the passing out is normal and serious.  DO NOT do it again, it can cause a heart attack.  If he had the reaction just with the patch, to high of a dose,.  An allergy will manifest as breathing difficulties, hives, the itching is natural under the patch from the glue.  I SLAP the spot the patch is on wheni t itches, usually only last a few hours.  It is easier to put it on a few hours before bed.  As far as the phlegm, that is very normal, as is the sore throat.  It lasts about 2 months, and can get dark almost balck at times.  He will feel like he has a respiratory infection most of the time, but if he tells his MD he quit smoking they will not treat him as this is a normal reaction to the body getting rid of the toxins.  Your lungs are the one area of the body that will "regroup" if you will.  They kick out the crap and get "clean"  unlike your heart.  You can hurt your lungs and most times they will recover unless you have a fibrosis (hard lung) when you damage your heart it is damaged end of story.  I wish him luck.  It is a hard habit to quit.   ;)
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 12:52:21 am »
Forgot to mention another option.  Med called Wellbutrin.  Acts as an antidepressant but also is highly successful in smoking cessation.  A good friend of mine could not tolerate the patch and went on wellbutrin with excellent results.  She is smoke free.  Everyone is different.  One method I will warn you against is the nasal spray or the nicotine inhalers.  We don't use them here much because of the serious side effects and hospital stays. 
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson