Author Topic: Very sad news  (Read 8581 times)

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Very sad news
« on: November 27, 2005, 01:15:26 pm »
Here we go again with breed discrimination ...I am sure we will now ban breeds in Texas.
You and I know it is NOT the breed but the owner that should be banned!

You treat a dog like an animal and they will act like one.... ;)

Texas woman mauled to death by six dogs

11:58 PM CST on Sunday, November 27, 2005
Associated Press

THORNDALE, Texas - A pack of six dogs mauled a 76-year-old woman to death as she worked in her yard, authorities said.

Lillian Loraine Stiles was riding on a lawn mower in her front yard Saturday when she was confronted by the dogs, described as pit bull-rottweiler mixed breeds, said Milam County Sheriff Charlie West.

Investigators think Stiles was attacked when she got off the mower and headed into her house.Stiles had severe bites over her entire body, and a man who tried to help her was bitten on one leg, authorities said.

The dogs were found at the home of Stiles' neighbor, Jose Hernandez.

The sheriff's department will send the findings of its investigation to the Milam County District Attorney's Office, which will decide if any criminal charges will be filed against Hernandez.

Thorndale is located about 70 miles west of College Station.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 01:20:54 pm by WhiteShepherdDog »
Regards,
Martha in Texas

lins_saving_grace

Re: Very sad news
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 01:16:26 pm »
Nice. 

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 01:18:38 pm »
Why can't people realize it is the owners is beyond me and not the breed. :-\

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 01:32:41 pm »
Unless there are VERY exceptional circumstances, the idiot of an owner should be up on manslaughter or murder charges. I never blame the dogs.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 01:48:33 pm »
I'm bringing this up not to jack the thread, but Senghe's post made me think I needed to share it.  I, Ang, Dog lover, basher of BSL extraordinaire, am included in a civil case to have a dog put to sleep.  This is the dog across the street that I've posted about before that's vicious, runs loose, has been called about to the city over 150 times, and nothing has been done about it.  Well recently this dog got out, crossed 2 streets and attacked a little boy who was playing in his yard.  The little boy saw the dog, got up and went to walk towards his mother and the dog (Named "Cutie") attacked him.  He's in critical condition.  When the police were called (Our police force SUCKS) we were told that it's a civil matter as the owners said that it wasn't their dog that did it and said that the neighborhood as a whole has it out for them. 

We are pursuing two options right now (I don't know much about this stuff, the lawyer just calls and rattles off a mile a minute to me).  The criminal option, whereas the owners are held responsible for their actions.  The civil option where the dog would be put down, and if it isn't, or if it disapears there will be monetary compensation to everyone who was wronged ie property damage, hospital and vet bills, missed work (She wouldn't let a guy out of his house one day) ect. 

I hate it because the people are saying that we're only after their dog because of her breed (She's a shepherd/rottie/pit/something mix who's been bred like at least 5 times), then because we don't like them as neighbors, which is totally true but not the reason we're pursuing this.  You guys KNOW how much I love dogs, even the "Vicious" ones.  But it isn't right that there is no comuppance for this.  If the dog hadn't had this history it would be different.  But it does, and it's not.  As much as it sucks, sometimes the dog has to be punished.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 02:30:42 pm »
You let 6 dogs run together loose I don't care what breed they are, they are going to get in trouble.  Be it either livestock or people, they'll end up attacking something.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 03:09:26 pm »
You let 6 dogs run together loose I don't care what breed they are, they are going to get in trouble.  Be it either livestock or people, they'll end up attacking something.
So true!
This so much an owner issue....I live in a rural area, too. I put up my fence to keep neighbor dogs out of under my house-chasing my cat. The trend is that people think there are no leash laws in the country and decide the easiest way to protect their house is to bring out scarey breeds of dogs and tie them up or let them run loose. These backyard dogs get no positive attention.
 The funny thing is I always know when my neighbors aren't home- cuz their 5 large dogs are barking constantly. If they were home, I would hear them yelling at the dogs to shut up!

There is a country saying that I am likely to misquote:
You got one boy- you got a boy;
You got two boys- you got half a boy;
You got three boys-you aint got no boys at all.
----
Sorta the same thing....the bigger the mix, the more trouble you have.
Regards,
Martha in Texas

GR8DAME

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 03:39:03 pm »
I'm bringing this up not to jack the thread, but Senghe's post made me think I needed to share it.  I, Ang, Dog lover, basher of BSL extraordinaire, am included in a civil case to have a dog put to sleep.  This is the dog across the street that I've posted about before that's vicious, runs loose, has been called about to the city over 150 times, and nothing has been done about it.  Well recently this dog got out, crossed 2 streets and attacked a little boy who was playing in his yard.  The little boy saw the dog, got up and went to walk towards his mother and the dog (Named "Cutie") attacked him.  He's in critical condition.  When the police were called (Our police force SUCKS) we were told that it's a civil matter as the owners said that it wasn't their dog that did it and said that the neighborhood as a whole has it out for them. 

We are pursuing two options right now (I don't know much about this stuff, the lawyer just calls and rattles off a mile a minute to me).  The criminal option, whereas the owners are held responsible for their actions.  The civil option where the dog would be put down, and if it isn't, or if it disapears there will be monetary compensation to everyone who was wronged ie property damage, hospital and vet bills, missed work (She wouldn't let a guy out of his house one day) ect. 

I hate it because the people are saying that we're only after their dog because of her breed (She's a shepherd/rottie/pit/something mix who's been bred like at least 5 times), then because we don't like them as neighbors, which is totally true but not the reason we're pursuing this.  You guys KNOW how much I love dogs, even the "Vicious" ones.  But it isn't right that there is no comuppance for this.  If the dog hadn't had this history it would be different.  But it does, and it's not.  As much as it sucks, sometimes the dog has to be punished.

I beg to differ, Ang. You are not involved in a lawsuit to punish the dog. You are involved in the lawsuit to remove a known pubic hazard that threatens the lives of all, from your nieghborhood. If my child was savaged by any animal, from Toy poodle to Great dane, either mine or someone elses, by sundown it would have a bullet in it's brain. There are no second chances with children.
In the same token, it is foolish to blame an entire breed for the actions of a few poorly trained and socialized individuals.
Why is it that profiling an entire race of people is wrong, but BSL is perfectly acceptable to the same bleeding hearts?
DISCLAIMER Just my opinion, everyone. Please do not think that I believe profiling is right, I am just using it as a compairison.
Stella

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 12:05:25 am »
Oh, Stella, I'm sad you had to put the disclaimer in!!  I think it goes without saying that Ang is doing the right thing and you were right to point it out.  If someone is sensitive to the breed issue hopefully it is understood, in this venue,  that it's only reflective of the animal's actions!  If it is teacup-sized poodle gang attacking, the ramifications are the same....it's a teacup-sized gang, but it's a gang none the less!  We've all read in various threads, the heart-break and fear we've all had when our dogs go off their heads and act vicious, aggressive, etc. but I would make the assumption, from what I've read, that we are all responsible owners who love our dogs and also don't want them to hurt anyone, human or otherwise.

I don't think Ang is punishing the dog, she is, as you said, removing a public hazard.  Profiling public hazards is intelligent, not insensitive.

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 12:39:20 am »
  As much as it sucks, sometimes the dog has to be punished.

"I beg to differ, Ang. You are not involved in a lawsuit to punish the dog. You are involved in the lawsuit to remove a known pubic hazard that threatens the lives of all, from your nieghborhood. If my child was savaged by any animal, from Toy poodle to Great dane, either mine or someone elses, by sundown it would have a bullet in it's brain. There are no second chances with children.
In the same token, it is foolish to blame an entire breed for the actions of a few poorly trained and socialized individuals."

i will have to agree here.  while yes, it is totally unfair to blame an entire breed, the dogs who are involved must be removed so that this will not occur again.  i also think that the owners of the dogs doing the rampaging and attacking (in some cases killing) MUST be held accountable and should face manslaughter charges (or murder charges).  owning a dog of any size or breed comes with responsiblitie s to protect your fellow neighbors from your dog being a nuisance or hazard.  lack of responsible dog ownership is equivalent to a loaded gun-the dog(s) are just as deadly as a gun if proper care isnt taken.  this poor boy may lose his life to the dog but would never have happened if the dog owner had of been responsible and kept the dog penned up or leash.  the owner is in essence the one who pulled the trigger, so to speak, the dog was simply the gun and bullet.  of course if the dog has done this once, then obviously it has aggressive tendancies to repeat the behaviour.  it is not fair to the public to allow this dog to do this again, whether it be adopted out or given back to the owner.  this poor old woman was killed and i cant even imagine the terror she must have went thru!!  i hope i havent offended anyone, but i agree if it were my child  (or mother or grandmother) who got mauled i could probably kill the offending dog with my bare hands (then head off to get the owner next). 
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 12:45:08 pm »
Another tragedy, wonderful stuff....  This is going to happen over and over because certain American sub-cultures encourage and celebrate the ownership of vicious dogs as well as lot of other immature, anti-social and destructive behaviours.  Oh yeah, that's so cool!  Gotta be a tough guy, gotta follow the rest of the herd.  Hundreds of breeds of dogs to choose from, but NO, I gotta get a Pitt Bull or a Rottweiler.  Gotta make it mean, so it will protect all my stuff from other tough guys that are just like me.  It looks really cool on the end of a chain when I walk down the street like the badass that I am.  My friends will be so impressed!  Can't really give it the attention it needs, like so many other things in my life, so I'll just chain it up in the back yard most of the time.  Hopefully it won't get loose, but if it does, it's not my fault.  If it hurts anybody, oh well, I'm a tough guy, it's not cool to care about anybody else besides myself. 

This attitude runs rampant among American society and it is continually encouraged which is irresponsible and just stupid.  Ignorance and Apathy at it's finest!
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 12:51:37 pm »
Gotta agree, Newf Lover.  Well put!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 01:01:10 pm »

Thanks, I get so frustrated with the stupid people in our country.  I've been accused of being a racist and that's just another label people use when they are confronted with facts and have no argument.  There are people of all nationalities that celebrate the "Thug" culture and they are all equally guilty of glamourizing and encouraging vicious dog ownership.  That is a fact! 
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 02:25:04 pm »
Yet another case for licensing owners .... not dogs!

Matthew

Thanks, I get so frustrated with the stupid people in our country.  I've been accused of being a racist and that's just another label people use when they are confronted with facts and have no argument.  There are people of all nationalities that celebrate the "Thug" culture and they are all equally guilty of glamourizing and encouraging vicious dog ownership.  That is a fact! 

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 02:35:27 pm »
While we're at it, can we license people to have children?  :P
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€