Author Topic: Please Help!!!  (Read 6690 times)

Luvmydanes

Please Help!!!
« on: November 29, 2005, 12:51:19 pm »
We noticed about 2 weeks ago that Dane was looking really really skinny. He was eating a lot and drinking a lot, but seemed to be getting skinnier and skinnier. We took him to the vet and he gave us pills to worm him for every type of worm and said within a week he should be gaining weight back and looking better if it was worms. We also switched his dog food to a much better dog food and so a week goes by and he is still very very skinny and not gaining any weight. I don't know what to do! I am scared cause it looks really bad. You can count all the vertebrae going down his back and see all of his ribs. Does anyone know a website I can go to that would show me exactly how much he should be eating? The vet told us with the food that we have him on he only needs to eat once a day, but it seems kind of strange. We were feeding him twice a day, but it wasn't a high quality dog food like what we have him on now. The vet also said he wasnt worried about how he looked cause he had seen much worse, but to me it is gross. Dane has never looked so skinny and I am worried. Any help would be so appreciated. I know I can count on my big paws buddies :)

Kandi

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 12:55:24 pm »
What food are you feeding?  I had the same problem with Sanity.  I didn't want to take him out in public for a LONG time, he looked so bad.  I started feeding him EVO and it's amazing! 

I forget, how old is Dane?  Also, the more times you feed a dog a day the better.  I usually feed Nee 3 times, morning, supper and before bed.  What kind of pills did the vet give you do you know?  And what are you feeding him now?
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 12:58:11 pm »
while i am not a dane expert, did your vet check for diabetes and other diseases? 
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 01:02:45 pm »
Also did they check his thyroid?  Or do blood tests?

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 01:21:29 pm »
Oh my poor Dane.

I have heard many people swear by satin balls for putting weight on.  I know there is a recipe here on the board. 

Good luck Kandi.  And keep us updated on Dane.

Tina

DUH!  Forgetting about Satin Balls is like when your car dies, popping the hood before checking the gas guage.

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 02:10:16 pm »
Oh my poor Dane.

I have heard many people swear by satin balls for putting weight on.  I know there is a recipe here on the board. 

Good luck Kandi.  And keep us updated on Dane.

Tina

Recipe for Satin Balls. I like this one because they have a version for a smaller amount to try.
http://essiac-info.org/Pets/satinball.html
Stella

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 04:03:20 pm »
I highly recommend RICE, Bear would kill for Jasmine rice. SO get out the rice cooker and start cooking. If you baby is having trouble the rice is very mild. And if he does not like it then you already have suppper for yourself.
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

Luvmydanes

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 08:18:47 pm »
Thank you all for the replies. The vet has not tested Dane for anything so far. If within a week or so he isn't gaining weight then we are going to take him and get a 2nd opinion. We will up his feedings again and I hope that does something. We are feeding him science diet right now. I will try the satin balls, and see if that works too. Thank you all for your input!

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 08:58:23 pm »
It just kills me that a vet would give pills for worms without even doing a fecal test.  The fecal test is the easiest test to perform, done in house.   Why would a vet just GUESS at the problem ???

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 09:11:33 pm »
this alarms me.  in your first posting you yourself are scared as you say you can count ribs and vertebrae.  the vet gives you worm pills without doing a fecal.  i have heard that sometimes dogs can have worms and it still not show up in the fecal that is collected (dont ask me how or why).  did the vet not seem concerned at the dog's weightloss?  if a dog is steadily losing weight and their eating/drinking habits have not changed or actually have increased, then there is something medically going on.  please dont wait too long to see another vet.  if he loses too much weight, it could start affecting his muscles and organs.  have you ever thought about feeding raw?  this would definately put the weight on him without the growth spurt that sometimes can happen with kibble.  raw chicken wings, legs, necks, back, raw ground beef and raw beef rib bones, turkey necks, wings, hearts and gizzards.  all of these have the proper calcium/phosorus ratio with easily digested proteins and fats.  feed several pounds of this each day and several times a week in addition to the above raw meaty bones, give scrambled eggs, raw liver, rice/oats, steamed and chopped veggies such as squash, pumpkin, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc. 

i would also insist on a glucose test to determine if there is diabetes.  increased eating and drinking is 2 major signs.
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 03:56:04 am »
I have to post again. I first read your post and had flashback to Bear so I tryed to stay positive but now I will be alarmist.
Don't wait a week find a good vet for the 2nd opinion and have them check the dog again. IF you have questions and think a test is needed get in their bloody face and make them do it even if the don't think it is needed
With Bear I had to tell the vet to do the X-Ray.
PLEASE DO NOT WAIT.
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

Luvmydanes

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 12:21:08 pm »
I buy the dogs food from the vet and have to go there today to pick up more. I am going to talk to him and see what he says. I am going to tell him that Dane hasn't gained any weight, and if anything has actually LOST more weight.  I am going to ask him about a glucose test and be very persisitant about the fact that we need to find out what is going on with my baby. I will repost when I get home and let you guys know what happens. Maybe I will take him in today.  Thank you again.

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 01:37:27 pm »
Hi, how scary for you.  I hope that all works out, and I would definitely try to get another opinion much sooner, rather than later.  I do not try to know a lot about Danes, b/c this is our first one, but I have done tons of research in preparation for getting her.  Maybe don't worry about this now, b/c you need to find out the problem with your baby first, but I would think about SWITCHING THE FOOD FOR SURE!  I don't know much about the raw diet (but I've heard good things) , but I have heard not so great things about Science Diet.  Actually, some pretty awful things.  Whatever you choose to do, I would take him off of that food soon!  There are many quality foods for Danes, we now feed Eagle Pack to our baby girl, but ask anyone on here and they'll give you recommendation s for food.  They helped us out.  Or go to The Dane Lady's website- she specializes in giant breeds and has a whole list of brands that she recommends. 

Also, I've always heard that you should feed an adult dog at least twice a day, especially when they are such large dogs.  I would get another veterinary opinion, and possibly a new vet.  Again, I am not trying to pretend that I know everything, or even very much, but I have really done research on foods, and what I mentioned above is important.  Hope this helps at all, and I hope things are OK for you and your Dane. :)
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Luvmydanes

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 10:52:43 pm »
So update - We took Dane to the vet today and had bloodwork ran. Everything with his bloodwork looked fine, nothing was wrong. We were advised to feed him as much as he wanted to eat over the next 2 weeks and if he hasn't put any weight on by then we are going to have to take him to get an ultrasound cause he thinks he may have a tumor! I don't know what all this means, but it is very scary to think about, so I am trying not to and hoping that he will put weight back on and quickly. Please say prayers for us that things start looking up and that Dane starts feeling better soon. Thanks for all the advice.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 10:59:40 pm »
I hope that he gets well soon!

Zoey and I are crossing our fingers and paws for him :)
RIP former BPO