Author Topic: feet chewing  (Read 3833 times)

Offline sierra

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
feet chewing
« on: November 29, 2005, 01:43:10 pm »
My mastiff has been chewing her nails for some time now and I was never really worried until the last week or so she has been doing it a lot, almost constantly when she is laying down. We trim her nails but now they are getting cracked and split because she is chewing so much. Family members have mentioned that feet chewing means that they have allergies but she isn't chewing her feet but her nails. Should we be concerned or is is something that puppies/dogs do?

Anakalia

Re: feet chewing
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 02:08:24 pm »
Koby does the EXACT same thing.  He'll either chew his nails, like himself or chew a toy until he falls asleep.  I wouldn't be to worried about it.  I was talking on the phone yesteday and heard a horrible sound...it was Koby crunching on his nails!  That's about as bad as fingernails on a chalkboard or cracking knuckles.  I hate that sound!

Andi

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 02:37:02 pm »
Jack chews his nails too.

And I thought he was the only "special" one.

Tina

OH, Koby's "special" all right! ::)

Andi

Offline sierra

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 03:53:53 pm »
That is what Sierra does, she pulls on them like she is trying to take them out. Good! I was hoping that she was just a weird little dog and not begging for some help. Thanks

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 04:29:45 pm »
food allergies will often manifest itself with the biting,  licking, chewing of paws and feet.  my oldest poodle always did this and we changed her food to a corn/wheat free food and this stopped completely.  alot of dogs are allergic to certain ingredients-corn and wheat being at the top of the list.   alot of preservatives and additives (for color and flavor) in dog food can cause allergic reactions and then foot chewing.   
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 06:55:42 pm »
hu~monster/Shellie: curious what you're feeding?

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 07:16:23 pm »
feeding raw/home-cooked to hugo.  the little guys get some home cooked (such as veggies/rice/boiled chicken plus they are eating merrick senior which is low in fat- because of magic's recent bout with pancreatitis).   hugo has done better on this raw diet than any kibble i have ever had him on.  i am really liking the merrick food for the little ones.  the merrick is holistic with no additives, here is the ingredient list for the senior formula-
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Not Less Than) 20.0%
Crude Fat (Not Less Than) 9.0%
Crude Fiber (Not More Than) 5.0%
Moisture (Not More Than) 10.0%

Calorie Content:
3146 kcal/kg - One pound provides 1430 kcal of metabolizable energy, calculated value. (Caloric content calculated using Modified Atwater Method)

Ingredients:
Chicken, Oatmeal, Whole Barley, Chicken Meal, Oat Fiber, Whole Brown Rice, Flaxseed, Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Dried Chicken Liver, Whole Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Lysine, Guar Gum, Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Clove Garlic, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Chicken, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterocococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamin e Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

hugo eats raw chicken, beef, bones, rice and veggies, deer &  turkey (which are not faves of his) eggs, etc.  hugo seems to have a slight allergy to salmon and tuna.  he breaks out in little red bumps on his belly and underarms.
~SHELLIE & HUGO~