Author Topic: Oooooo making nifty things  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Oooooo making nifty things
« on: November 29, 2005, 10:25:36 pm »
I was having a craving for Crazy Bread (THANKS JENN!)  but Little Ceasar's is closed so I decided to see if I could make it.  Wicked easy and I'll tell you guys how it comes out but I found THIS which I can't wait to try!
-------------------

http://www.recipelink.com/ch/2002/december/moretopsecretrecipes3.html

In York, Pennsylvania, Henry C. Kessler first concocted this confection in the late 1930s at his candy factory, the York Cone Company. The company was originally established to make ice cream cones, but by the end of World War II, the peppermint patty had become so popular that the company discontinued all other products. In 1972, the company was sold to Peter Paul, manufacturers of Almond Joy and Mounds. Cadbury USA purchased the firm in 1978, and in 1988 the York Peppermint Pattie became the property of Hershey USA.

Many chocolate-covered peppermints had been made before the York Peppermint Pattie came on the market, but Kessler's version was firm and crisp, while the competition was soft and gummy. One former employee and York resident remembered the final test the patty went through before it left the factory. "It was a snap test. If the candy didn't break clean in the middle, it was a second."

For years, seconds were sold to visitors at the plant for fifty cents a pound.

Makes 20 peppermint patties

1 egg white
4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon peppermint oil or extract
Cornstarch for dusting
One 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips
In a medium bowl, beat the egg white until frothy but not stiff. Don't use a plastic bowl for this.
Slowly add the powdered sugar while blending with an electric mixer set on medium speed.
Add the corn syrup and peppermint oil or extract and knead the mixture with your hands until it has the smooth consistency of dough. Add more powdered sugar if necessary, until mixture is no longer sticky.
Using a surface and rolling pin heavily dusted with cornstarch, roll out the peppermint dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
Punch out circles of peppermint dough with a biscuit cutter or a clean can with a diameter of about 2 1/2 inches. Make approximately 20, place them on plates or cookie sheets, and let them firm up in the refrigerator, about 45 minutes.
Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave set on high for 2 minutes. Stir halfway through the heating time. Melt thoroughly, but do not overheat.
Drop each patty into the chocolate and coat completely. Using a large serving fork, or 2 dinner forks, one in each hand, lift the coated patty from the chocolate. Gently tap the forks against the bowl to knock off the excess chocolate, and place each patty on wax paper.
Chill the peppermint patties until firm, about 30 minutes.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Oooooo making nifty things
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 10:40:00 am »
1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Milk
2 Lightly Beaten Eggs
2 TBS Butter
---------

Preheat Oven to 450
In Large bowl, stir together flour, milk and eggs; stir until smooth.
Drop butter into a 9x13 inch baking pan.
Place the pan into preheated oven until butter has melted.
Pour batter into pan.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until batter has set.

Brush with garlic butter (Melted butter with 1/2 tsp of garlic salt)
Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese.

ALL DONE

I'm gonna make it today.

I have to find the recipe for the sauce.  I don't eat it so I didn't print that one out.

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 10:44:18 am »
oooOOOooo sounds super yummy!!  I'm gonna have to try those peppermint things out!!! ;D

Andi

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 12:45:04 pm »
there's no yeast in the crazy bread recipe??
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 01:22:02 pm »
NO, and don't make it because it came out awful!  There's another option for using a 10 oz can of Pillsbury Pizza Dough.

I took pictures of every step after it came out of the oven.  They tasted like crap.  But Nee apparently liked it.  The last picture is what I came downstairs to, with me catching Nee's butt right when he ran around the corner.