Author Topic: Warning gross question  (Read 2348 times)

Blair

Warning gross question
« on: November 30, 2005, 09:58:27 am »
Mr. Grey's anal glands have been leaking for awhile now. I have been expressing them myself since I notice them leaking. But the last couple of days its been real bad and the are a dark reddish brown color. Is that a normal color for them? I am a little concerned. When I express them, its real easy to do so I didnt think they were impacted but I am starting to think they might be infected? Sorry for such a gross question  :-[

GR8DAME

Re: Warning gross question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 10:07:58 am »
I would take him to the vet to get checked out. Merlin had an anal gland infection when he was a puppy and it took two rounds of different antibiotics, and about six weeks to clear it up. He also had a mucousy reddish discharge that turned out to be partially blood. The good news is once it was cleared up he hasn't had any problems since.
Stella

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 10:48:20 am »
Leaking isn't normal, nor is that color.  I used to express my greyhounds glands because they would get impacted if I didn't, and I didn't want to pay a groomer or vet to do it every time.  As far as I know, the expression should be kind of loose-toothpastey consistancy and brown, but normal poop color brown, not reddish-brown.  I think a trip to the vet for this one is probably warranted.
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 07:49:25 pm »
I don't have any experience with expressing them... But luckily for you it looks like the Anal Glad Queen has come back to BPO just in time to help you :)
RIP former BPO

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 08:27:02 pm »
yey, am I lucky or what lol...... of course I dove into this topic, everything gross is me.....

Soooo if the glands are leaking the whole time that is not normal, if they are leaking when they get extremely excited or scared or just starteled that is some kind of defense mechanism.

The color can vary from everything that is almost whitish, to light brown to very dark brown and greenish or even a tad bit red. Also the consitance can be everything from real thing and watery to real thick and almost lika a very very thick paste.

Mind you I agree with the others if they are leaking the whole time, you might want to take him to a vet. it is usually rather simple once the treatment is started.

Good Luck and let us know how things are going and give poor doggy a hug

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Blair

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:30:40 pm »
That was my welcome back question just for you Marit, I sensed you were coming back so I asked that question LOL. Its odd cause they only seem to leak when he is sound asleep, but when he is just laying on the couch, awake, they dont  ??? But I think a trip to the vet is in order. I learned how to express them being a dog groomer, lucky lucky me  ;D lol

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 08:59:19 pm »
yup, learnt that trick when I was a groomer too. And since I have a kinda sick sense of humor, what made it kinda fun was to make a bet with myself (noone else wanted to bet with me) about what color and texture it was going to come out as. The one thing I could always totally count on was that is was going to sting like the $@$%^@.

I agree though, if it is leaking when he is sleeping and not when he is awake, it seems like he when he is totally relaxed cant really control it, and that indicate an infection, so he might need antibiotic to get over it.

Good Luck and please keep us updated

Marit

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 09:11:27 pm »
Darcy says that anal glands should be only expressed once every six weeks, IF THAT... because it will cause trauma. and everytime they are expressed (except when the dog does it on its own) it causes trauma as well...

Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 09:16:58 pm »
yes anal glands should not be drained too often, if a dog has regular appointments with the groomer, say every 8 weeks or so, it is okay to have it done then. BUT a groomer that does the glands on a dog on a regular basis is basically just checking, not putting a lot of pressure since he/she knows that they are being checked regularly.

When a dog is spontaniously emptying the glands that is not a trauma, that is a reflex. They actually in a way empty them to a certain extent every time they go potty, that is the reason the glands are there, to make it easier to make the big piles lol.

But no I agree, I wouldnt recommend draining a gland more than every other month or so, and if you have a dog that is not prone to have too much in them, well Id say once every 6 months is okay.

Marit

Blair

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 09:29:09 pm »
Just to clarify I dont drain them everyday, I just reread my post and it sounds like that. I have only drained them twice the other times I just wiped him clean, dont want him to have a stinky butt LOL