Author Topic: What a great thing to do with a big heart  (Read 8222 times)

lins_saving_grace

What a great thing to do with a big heart
« on: December 01, 2005, 09:28:13 am »
I didn't know if I should put this here or in games and fun!  So here it is.
I heard on the radio the other day on the way to work about this website where you can adopt a soldier.  I felt the need to do it.  They don't ask but appreciate the things we take for granted.  Zip lock bags, chap stick and stuff we pass in the drug store everyday but slip our minds. 
So I applied and got my soldier's name today.  Shannon is her name and I will have to stop at the store for stuff to fill a box with.  I really can't wait since I don't do things like this often...or often enough.  But these soldiers relly deserve it.  I doubt I'll get my box there before XMas but better late than never.
I feel really good about this and wanted to pass it on in case anyone else was interested in something really great but not so expensive.  :)
the site is:  www.soldiersan gels.com 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: What a great thing to do with a big heart
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 10:38:43 am »
Great idea! I signed up for a soldier, too and I also saw this link on their site:

http://www.uswardogs.org/id40.html

that has info. on what the K9 handling teams in Iraq are in need of and how you can donate for that as well.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 10:43:52 am »
THANK YOU, JEANNE! 

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 10:48:00 am »
What a wonderful idea - thanks so much for posting the site - I just signed up.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 10:49:22 am »
Awwwhhh!  Thanks to you too!   
I was just really touched about this on the radio yesterday.  I don't get compelled often.  :) 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 11:04:35 am »
Got my soldier's name now! Hello, Harold!  I'm also forwarding this site to everyone I know!!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 11:13:03 am »
you got yours ALREADY!?  WoW!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 11:43:18 am »
ideas of things to put in the box.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 11:49:03 am by lins_saving_grace »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 01:02:46 pm »
I'm so motivated today! I just wrote my letter and (if I have any money left on my emergency food stamp card from the hurricane) I'm going to by Harold a bunch of goodies this afternoon.

Get this: a co-worker of mine (to whom I had forwarded this website) just called me and said she had been thinking on her way to work this morning that she and her husband should really start writing some letters to soldiers. Then, she gets to work and gets my e-mail. She got the chills!

Pretty cool, eh?

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 01:10:29 pm »
I too am excited and cant wait to get my adoptee's name/info so I can pick up some goodies this weekend.

As a side note, I forwarded on the link to some people and my step-mother has just signed herself up too!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 01:37:19 pm »
I too am excited and cant wait to get my adoptee's name/info so I can pick up some goodies this weekend.

As a side note, I forwarded on the link to some people and my step-mother has just signed herself up too!
You're fantastic!  :)
it is exciting!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 01:38:43 pm »
I'm so motivated today! I just wrote my letter and (if I have any money left on my emergency food stamp card from the hurricane) I'm going to by Harold a bunch of goodies this afternoon.

Get this: a co-worker of mine (to whom I had forwarded this website) just called me and said she had been thinking on her way to work this morning that she and her husband should really start writing some letters to soldiers. Then, she gets to work and gets my e-mail. She got the chills!

Pretty cool, eh?
that is chilling!  :)  Wow!  We're doing a great thing!

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 02:45:58 pm »
ideas of things to put in the box.

Chapstick - CARMEX is the best
Ramen Noodles - they love the stuff
Sunblock
Homemade cookies
Babywipes
calling cards

These are just a few things, I use to be a soldier and these were just some of the things.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 05:48:23 pm »
I got packaged snacks like Lance crackers, asst. flavors; hard, individually wrapped candies, notebooks, envelopes, wet wipes, toothbrushes & toothpaste, shower gel, anti-bacterial hand gel, kool-aid and gatorade mix packets, sugar, gum, cookies.

How does that sound. I guess it's nothing real fun, but I wanted to wait 'til I found out what kinds of things he likes before I bought books and games, etc. I had to pack it in 2 boxes - one for non-food and one for snacks and still have stuff left over for another care package in a couple months.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 05:50:39 pm »
Holy smokes!   I'm impressed. 
I'm getting my stuff soon.  I emailed the guy to ask if my soldier was a man or a woman...the name is Shannon.   kinda indifferent.  but this box can be androgonous I suppose.