Author Topic: I can't believe this woman has to deal with this!!  (Read 5295 times)

k2campbell

Re: I can't believe this woman has to deal with this!!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 10:33:24 pm »
SICK.  That's all I can say.  Some people need to start worrying about more important things in life than what the neighbours' yard looks like. 
SICK.

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 10:50:34 pm »
When will people get a life and worry about something more important...my mother always says that stress shortens peoples lives so choose your stresses wisely!  ;)
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 03:00:00 am »
That is horrible!!  What is this world coming to, when you get fined for properly taking care of your disabled dog?

They did a story on CBS or 60 minutes or something awhile ago on a HOA group, can't remember where.  They had a security guard writing tickets out for idiotic reasons.  A womas recieved over $200 in tickets for having a dog off a leash......... .............6 months after it died!!!.  One man recieved tickets for not picking up after his dog........... .....when he didn't even have a dog!!  Other crazy fines were given out as well.  I can't believe these organizations are getting so incredibly bizarre.  The idea behind them is great, but to me it sounds like basically you are living under the protection of the mafia......... .....you're fine until you do something to piss them off........... .then watch out!!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 03:44:52 am »
Just an update....
tonights news interviewed a NV state senator and he is going to bat for Juice and against the HOA.  He agreed that (even though the carpet in the BY is a violation of the HOA rules) this is special circumstances and that, ultimately, it is a violation of privacy for neighbors to be peeping into her BY (the only clear way to see the carpeted path).  He also believes that HOAs in general have to much power and that they are, mostly, a violation of the HO civil rights!! 
Hopefully they will leave this poor woman alone so that she can let Juice live out whats left of his life in peace and contentment!!  They have already racked up fines on her of over $400 but she says she is not going to make such a change for Juice and take away his path without a fight!
I am kind of a big deal!

Anakalia

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 12:30:21 pm »
OMG!!  This is so sad!!  I live in a podunk town in Iowa and I've also lived a very sheltered life, I didn't know there was such a thing as HOA!!!  I can't imagine living with silly rules like that.  Do these people rent? Or do they own their houses?  And if they own, they have to ask permission to purchase things for their home?  That's worse than renting an apartment!!!  What is this world coming to?  I think I may need to stay in this podunk town and stay naive! lol

Andi

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 01:29:03 pm »
Here's how an HOA *typically* works:

HOA's are formed of Homeowners who group together and determine that their area, or "development" will have a certain set of standards to be maintained by all who own homes within the confines. (boundaries) They vote in By-Laws, Covenants & Restrictions, and are usually run by a Board of Directors/Trustees, who are also voted in by the group.

When a home changes owners, part of the closing process of the sale is the new owners must be made aware of the CC&R's and they must sign that they agree to abide by those. They are required by law to have full disclosure of any fees (most HOA's have a yearly membership/maintenace fee) and a written copy of the By-Laws and CC&R's MUST be enclosed with their final mortgage papers.

Now, the problem here lies in the fact that this lady is a RENTER, not the Homeowner. (At least, that's the way I understood it from the story.) Technically (and I sincerly hope she gets an Attorney, because she could win this in court) the HOA cannot fine her diddly-squat. They can assess a fine/penalty against the HO, but the renter has no legal standing in the development.

I agree with the Sentator, HOA's have become a huge nusiance. A lot of first-time home buyers have no idea what to ask when they purchase new property, and get burned by these idjits. I know because of my experience with them, I will NEVER buy a house where there are CC&R's. I'm paying out the wazoo for MY house, and that gives me the right to do whatever I like on MY property.

Hope this helps a bit.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 01:45:23 pm »
We live in a rural neighborhood that has covenants and a HOA.  I am perfectly fine with both of them, we have neighborhood get togethers a few times a year with  potluck dinners, etc. Our neighbors are great though! and not the type that that lady has to deal with.

We researched and read up on the covenants before buying the house. They were all reasonable though, things like you cant rent apartments in your house, you can't put a house trailer in your back yard, etc.

We're not terribly house-proud (c'mon we have an indoor newf), but I'd personally prefer a neighboorhood to have a few 'resonable' rules.    Our dues go toward the maintenance of the neighborhood pond, $50/yr, so pretty reasonable.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 01:46:01 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€