Author Topic: Awwwwwwwwwwwwww  (Read 5300 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww
« on: December 01, 2005, 01:47:09 pm »
OMG I want one!  Jenn was I NOT JUST telling you I wanted a baby fox!?!?!?!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/02/0208_050208_foxes.html
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Awwwwwwwwwwwwww
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 01:54:55 pm »
I wonder what kind of foxes those are?  I've never seen any that look quite like that, even when young.

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 02:01:15 pm »
They sure are cute!!  Love the eyes! ;D

Andi

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 02:06:05 pm »
They sure are cute!!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 02:15:03 pm »
I wonder what kind of foxes those are?  I've never seen any that look quite like that, even when young.
Those are adorable!  I think they might some kind of Arctic fox - were they part of that Russian project that bred foxes to create friendly, dog-like qualities...?
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 02:24:46 pm »
yeah, whoever has me as a secret santa can give me one, that would be fine with me! ;D

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 02:25:11 pm »
Do they look like that in your yard???!!! 

No.  :(  They're red but they're still SOOOOOO cute!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 02:29:33 pm »
Babies are immune from evil insiduous diseases.  Besides, we haven't had any foxes with rabies here.  Racoons up the wazoo though.  So, we have come to the conclusion that racoons are bad and foxes are good!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 02:36:23 pm »
YOU SUCK!

That is all. 

Ang

PS.  I was only 11 in 1994 and I'm sure that the rabies outbreak was the farthest thing frm my mind.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 02:57:05 pm »

Those are adorable!  I think they might some kind of Arctic fox - were they part of that Russian project that bred foxes to create friendly, dog-like qualities...?

I think these foxes in question may be crossbreeds, which raises a few questions for me.  They are awefully cute, and yes if purebred, probably an artic fox.  But artic fox pups should look like this:

Artic fox ears are small in proportion to their heads, not like most foxes, who have quite large ears, and not like the kits in the article, who also have large ears.  The blue eyes also thew me, b/c although very young kits will have blue eyes, they are dark, and the color quickly changes to brown, gold or copper.

Sorry, the zoologist in me is coming out.  The markings are extrordinary on those kits, but I'm wondering if domestic dog DNA was added to the mix.

Okay, one more cool photo I like :

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 03:02:16 pm »
I thought that foxes couldn't genetically mate with dogs due to chromosomal differences.  I could have sworn I read that somewhere.

Edited to add link:  Second paragraph down.

http://www.ozfoxes.com/aafoxes.htm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 03:03:34 pm by Anky »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 03:33:02 pm »
You're right.  I had forgotten that dogs can only crossbreed with wolves, coyotes and jackals (in North America anyway)

Good point.  But that doesn't mean they haven't crossbred other fox breeds in their program to get them to look that way.  Even if they haven't, its a good thing they are in captivity.  There is a reason the artic fox's ears are so small......... .............. it's to keep them from getting frostbite and falling off in the cold.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 08:55:50 pm »
I want one!  I actually saw a show about the "tame" foxes.  Foxes in the wild never have markings like that, but several generations into the taming the fox project, the babies started to have "dog-like" markings.  They beleive that this happened because natural selection no longer applied to these animals ie, they didn't need camoflage, etc.  Very interesting.  In any case, they are adorable!  Thanks for the pics!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 11:33:09 pm »
Several years ago there was a dog breeder here in this area who has bred everything from ferrets to rotties.  He had a small-time pet store, very likeable guy, but never stuck with anything very long to improve it.  He just wanted to make a quick buck.  Anyway, he bred this type of fox.  I saw some in his store a few times.  Back then he (and new owners of these foxes) had to get a permit to keep these animals.  He told me what Binky just said about several generations being domesticated, the markings start to change, since there is no need for natural camoflage they start to change color and pattern.  This is also true in other animals as well.  THe baby foxes he had were not dog-like at all. In fact they were more like a cat.  They were nervous and timid and acted very much like what they would if they were still wild.  This guy also bred wolf hybrids-that were like 95% wolf.  You could not tell it had any dog in it whatsoever.  Looked so much like a wolf with those yellow eyes and acted like one-very wary and nervous.  Thankfully, I dont think this guy raises these exotics anymore.  But they are soooo beautiful.  I watched a program the other night on spotted hyenas-made me want one.  It interacted with its keeper just like a dog, but could turn in a second back into the wild creature it is.
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 06:23:02 pm »
If you want a fox, or a "fox-like" dog, why not get a Shiba Inu.  They are very much like foxes and extremely cute.  They problem with the cute exotics like Raccoons, de-scented Skunks, Foxes and Ferrets, is they aren't really well suited for domestic life and can be a nuisance for some people.  It seems like a good idea, until you get one.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.