Author Topic: slipping and sliding  (Read 5787 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
slipping and sliding
« on: December 02, 2005, 08:35:11 am »
maybe someone could give me some advice on this... fumble seems to be sliding all over the place.  we have hardwood floors, and fumble loves to sleep and play on them.  However, he keeps slipping all over them, and sometimes will do one of those belly flop moves!  i've been clipping the hair between his paws to try to help, and i clip his nails every week.  anyone else have this problem before???
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: slipping and sliding
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 11:42:21 am »
I don't think there's much you can do to Fumble except keep his fur trimmed, but you should probably put down area rugs with non-slip liners under them.  I have them all over the house on the hardwood floors.  The slipping and sliding isn't good for puppy joints.   ;)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 08:28:00 pm »
We have the same problem at our house, and I hate it because it worries me to see Zoey to slip with her bad hips. The only things we have found to help are: trimming fur in paws, keeping nails trimmed, and using many area rugs that don't slide around. We bought a paw wax that is made to protect paws from, amoung other things, sliding on the wax, and it did not really help.
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 09:13:31 pm »
Thanks for the info on paw wax.  I'd heard of it but not whether it worked or not....you saved me another wasted attempt to solve the slip/slide problem!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 09:17:03 pm »
thanks so much about the info on the wax...  we've got tons of rugs, but i think i may need to invest on a few more!   :P i get so nervous about his hips!  i just want to make sure that he's 100% healthy! 
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 10:08:13 pm »
Thanks for the info on paw wax. I'd heard of it but not whether it worked or not....you saved me another wasted attempt to solve the slip/slide problem!
Yeah, I had high hopes for it, but it was pretty much money wasted. Basically, she slid around just as much - the only difference was that you heard a sort of tapping sound when she walked around because of the wax hitting the floor
RIP former BPO

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 10:57:18 pm »
I tried the wax too. It did not seem to help. The only thing I have found like everyone else- is the runners and area mats.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 08:13:04 pm by Icerotti »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 11:27:38 pm »
There are some rugs through that design catalog, Ballard (if I can find one, I'll post the info.) that I've put in our bedroom that the dogs love!  They are some kind of a natural fiber, but thick...and soft ( and cheap  ;D).  I just put non-slip pads under them and they are soft enough (and cool enough) for them to sleep on and they've lasted for a year, so far...and look fine!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 06:11:34 pm »
so... update!!  i put down a bunch more scatter rugs throughout the house!! and still, he's all over the place... i think maybe he's still just trying to figure out his legs or something, or maybe he's just a clutz!  at least he's not all over the place as often!! 

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 06:38:02 pm »
Did you put non-slip pads under the scatter rugs?  That seems to do the trick.... ;)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 06:42:20 pm »
Double-stick tape??

Just kidding.

Is it Friday yet?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 06:46:03 pm »
Double-stick tape??

Just kidding.

Is it Friday yet?

hahaha

Velcro runners, and velco on fumbles paws? :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 07:52:44 pm »
yeah! i got the ultra stick ones.. and then the other mats that i have sparatically throughout the house are bathroom mats, so they've got the really good grips underneath them!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 01:58:15 am »
And he still slips....wow!!  He's moving at a great rate of speed then, huh!  We use a lot of runners with non-slip pads underneath and that seems to be fine; no slipping and sliding even when they are running and playing.  I'm out of ideas here.  I checked the Ballard site and the rug we bought must be a summer item.  If I see them again, I'll let you know

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 08:45:42 am »
haha thanks!! i'm thinking he's just in a clumsy stage!  he just loves to bounce around, as seen by his pictures! lol!  i'll keep you all posted, even since i posted this the other day it seems to have gotten better, and he's a bit more stable.. however, he is learning what "ice" is! good ole cape cod has frozen over, and our deck is pardon to it!