Author Topic: Cowboy is back in the Emergency Room  (Read 43400 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy is back in the Emergency Room
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2005, 12:14:21 am »
Thanks, Jess, it means so much!!!

Nicole

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2005, 12:20:13 am »
Aw, Mari! That is such a cute picture! He's such a lovey baby!

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2005, 01:38:32 am »
Oh no!!  How horrible & scary for you!  :'(  I'll keep y'all in my prayers.  Did they check for Parvo?  If he's immune compromised from the seizure meds, his vaccines may not have "taken" - in other words, are not giving him full protection.... ..also - did they check all the side effects of the seizure meds?  Could one of them have done this?  Hope the Carafate helps coat the lining & gives him some relief - also hope the lining can grow back! 
Sending prayers your way!!
-LaurieW

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2005, 02:21:51 am »
I'm so sorry that you're going through this with Cowboy.  :(

We're sending lots of thoughts,  prayers and hugs to both of you.  Our furbabies are special to us and our special needs babies are even closer after all the extra care they need.  We'll be thinking of you!

*sending lots of postive vibes your way*

~moni
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2005, 02:22:04 am »
Oh Mari! I am so sad for you and your family. We'll definitely keep you in our prayers and hearts. I really hope that they can fix your baby and that you can bring him home soon.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2005, 02:28:49 am »
Ohhhhh Mari I am sooo sooo sorry to hear about Cowboy. I cant even imagine having to go though everything you have had to go though with him. I logged on and started reading your post while removing makeup, it is gone from one eye and the other is a total mess from crying. If it is any help at all, you know I am thinking of you, your family and all your doggy kids.

Give them big hugs and kisses and big hugs to you too

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2005, 08:22:15 am »
Just heard from his doc and here's the deal.  His entire GI tract....top to bottom is COMPLETELY eroded.  Gone...not there...that's why he's bleeding.  They've given him something (carapace, I think) to coat it so that hopefully the bleeding will stop but they have NO clue as to the cause.  They are going to work on that tomorrow.  They are thinking a parasite, or that new disease...but treating him for everything under the sun.  Right now they are just trying to stop the bleeding so he can keep his antiseizure levels up.  I'm have a vodka (medicinal only, of course...and then off to bed)  This day has just been too much!  I'll let you know what happens tomorrow...tom orrow!!!

Thanks you guys!  It's been so cathartic to share with you:  you understand that he's not 'just a dog'!!!  I love you all!!!

Oh no!   :'(  I'm so sorry to hear about Cowboy's GI tract.  Do they think he will be okay after loosing all that blood?  We are hoping for the best.

Sofia

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2005, 08:45:54 am »
Myself, Angus and my whole family send to you all our positive thoughts and prayers. I cannot express in words how sad I am for you. Stay stong, positive and above all get well soon Cowboy.

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2005, 08:48:09 am »
THoughts and prayers to you & your family.  I hope Cowboy starts bouncing back very soon.  Your dogs are absolutely adorable and our guys send hugs to all of you too.

Anita & the 3 Goofy Newfs from NJ

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2005, 10:56:57 am »
You guys are all the VERY best!!! Thanks SO much  for caring!!!  I just got off the phone with the ER to see how his night was and YEA!  He hasn't vomited at all!!!  YIPPEEE!!!  but.....he still has the d*mn bloody diarrhea every couple of hours.  AND he hasn't seized!!!  So I think there is some real improvement!  I'm going to spend some time with him today and hopefully some labs will come back and tell us something about the what started this.  I really don't think it's his seizure meds, since the only one that could cause damage is the phenobarbital and he's almost weaned off it (he's gone from 2 1/2 grains twice a day to 1/4 grain twice a day).  I'll certainly ask about the parvo, but his titre a couple of months ago said everything was at acceptable levels.
Trust me....he'll never have another bully stick.  His doc said that those could be deadlly for a guy as fragile as Cowboy.  And no more raw bones....becau se of the possibility of parasites in the marrow.  Poor guy.  All his favorite favorites....b anned!  I think the lining can rebuild...isn't that how Nexium works?  He's probably on a doggy verision of Nexium.

Again, thank SOO for being there.  It's so great to know I'm not the only one who loves my dogs as though they are full-blown, card-carrying family members!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2005, 11:07:21 am »
I'm glad he's getting better. He's a strong boy. We're sending happy thoughts to Cowboy and his family. Get well soon!!

Icerotti

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2005, 11:25:25 am »
Glad to hear he is doing better. Get well soon Cowboy. Big hugs to Chester too.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2005, 11:32:15 am »
I am glad that he is doing better. I'm sure that he'll be back home in no time.  ;D Still sending prayers your way  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Nicole

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2005, 11:37:43 am »
Mari,
Sounds good! Any little bit of positive news helps! That's great that he hasn't vomited or seized! WOOOOH COWBOY! YOU'RE SUCH A STRONG BOY FOR MOMMY AND BABY BROTHER CHESTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You make your family carry cards? Weird... ;)

Keep us posted, Mari. I thought about you guys all night!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2005, 11:44:27 am »
Really glad to hear at least there is some good news for a change.  Cowboy is definetly in mine & Melissa's thoughts.  Give that boy a hug for us when you see him  ;)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€